Salix Live Xfce 13.37 beta

Shador

Re: Salix Live Xfce 13.37 beta

Post by Shador »

I don't think so grub2 supports ext2/3/4. To me the problem seems to be that the iso is in a subdirectory (salixlive), but the salix-xfce-....live file and all other files are expected in the root. Is there subdirectory support, JRD?
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

When I tested, in grub2 command line, when I've done

Code: Select all

ls(hd0,1)/
it answers me "unknown file system". So obviously it cannot find the /boot/grub/GRUB_1.99-20110823-1234. I've tested this at work using VirtualBox, some maybe I made a weird error in creating the ext4 filesystem...

About you're question of supporting subdirectory, no it doesn't support it. This is simply too much complicated to support it with grub2 current command tools.
Shador

Post by Shador »

JRD wrote:When I tested, in grub2 command line, when I've done

Code: Select all

ls(hd0,1)/
it answers me "unknown file system". So obviously it cannot find the /boot/grub/GRUB_1.99-20110823-1234. I've tested this at work using VirtualBox, some maybe I made a weird error in creating the ext4 filesystem...

About you're question of supporting subdirectory, no it doesn't support it. This is simply too much complicated to support it with grub2 current command tools.
I just want to know whether the live boot scripts support it. It's obvious that searching the whole fs for the file including subdirectories is too time consuming. But there could be a way to tell the boot scripts in which subdirectory to search. Obviously the bootloader itself runs to early to acquire such input.
Anyway, I don't consider this feature sufficiently crucial to possibly slow down a 13.37 live release.
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

Shador wrote:I just want to know whether the live boot scripts support it. It's obvious that searching the whole fs for the file including subdirectories is too time consuming. But there could be a way to tell the boot scripts in which subdirectory to search. Obviously the bootloader itself runs to early to acquire such input.
Anyway, I don't consider this feature sufficiently crucial to possibly slow down a 13.37 live release.
I agree. Doable, but not for this version, and the bootloader must still be on the root FS.
ikke

Post by ikke »

Have been using now Salix Live Xfce 13.37 beta (installed on a 1 GB usbstick ext3 formatted grub1 : see earlier) on a daily basis for quite a long time. And even in rather rough circumstances. (Africa)

The only small problem I have encountered is that sometimes the system refuses to shutdown.

So guess the time has come to drop the 'beta' and provide the definitive version.

Regards,
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

RC1 version is now ready for testing => http://www.salixos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2833
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.