Salix Ratpoison 13.37RC1

gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Salix Ratpoison 13.37RC1

Post by gapan »

No, it's not a local problem, it happens here too. But I still think it's only if a page hasn't fully loaded.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I've been making an effort to use . and , , and the same thing happens.

My own feeling is that it's not that the page hasn't loaded, though I have no conclusive evidence. One thing that makes it harder to test is that once hinting has worked on a given page, then it works normally for a while. I think I can confirm that hinting sometimes *does* work even when the page clearly hasn't finished loading - though it's difficult to be quite sure.

Above all, this wasn't happening before. Now it's a frequent irritation, though easily enough remedied by deleting the . or .f and asking for hints again.

Did you recompile the browser to include the searchengine shortcuts? My hunch is that something inadvertently got included that magnifies a pre-existing minor glitch in Vimprobable's hinting algorithm.

EDIT

It also occured to me that slow hardware may make this much more salient. My hardware is slow, though it's generally not noticeable on Salix. :)

EDIT

What makes this really annoying is that (imagining for instance that it really is the page not loading fully) it never resolves of its own accord. You can leave it as long as you like, the only way out is to delete '.' and press 'f' or whatever again, which seems to produce correct hinting immediately.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

I updated the vimprobable2 package in the repositories. It should be ok now.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

That seems to have fixed it. Hinting also seems snappier in general. . , f F all work ... not sure but I think I was having trouble with , and F too. Anyway, it's all fine now! :D

I subscribed to the vimprobable mailng list, and there's been talk lately of "patches" to hinting. Maybe that had somethig to do with it.
snowpine

Post by snowpine »

Any benefit for Beta users to reinstall?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

snowpine wrote:Any benefit for Beta users to reinstall?
In fact there is. Read the first post in this thread, it lists most of the changes. The menu has changed considerably too. If you know your way around, you can install the extra apps of course and you can copy the updated configuration files from skel, so you don't really have to reinstall.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

So - just out of curiosity - if I keep my Ratpoison Beta up to date, will the config files in /etc/skel/ change to reflect the changes implemented in the RC? So that a new user created under Beta would effectively be running the RC?

I didn't know about /etc/skel, and for anyone else curious ...

http://www.linfo.org/etc_skel.html
snowpine

Post by snowpine »

gapan wrote:
snowpine wrote:Any benefit for Beta users to reinstall?
In fact there is. Read the first post in this thread, it lists most of the changes. The menu has changed considerably too. If you know your way around, you can install the extra apps of course and you can copy the updated configuration files from skel, so you don't really have to reinstall.
Of course I read the first post in the thread, but you did not mention anything about "Beta users should..." so please don't be patronizing. ;)
I never use the menu so I will keep on rolling with my Beta, thanks for the clarification! :)
Last edited by snowpine on 24. Sep 2011, 21:44, edited 1 time in total.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

mimosa wrote:So - just out of curiosity - if I keep my Ratpoison Beta up to date, will the config files in /etc/skel/ change to reflect the changes implemented in the RC? So that a new user created under Beta would effectively be running the RC?
Yes and yes.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »