Salix Ratpoison 13.37

mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: Salix Ratpoison 13.37

Post by mimosa »

One other point in favour of creating "Ratpoison Live" is it would surely mean significantly faster booting; a corollary of that is that the apps selected to go with the WM are fast and open fast. I'm trying Ratpoison with the Live RC1 at the moment, and the next thing I'm going to do is ditch Firefox (Pentadactyl :mrgreen: ) for Vimprobable or Jumanji.
fatmac

Post by fatmac »

A live commandline based distro is 'just up my street'. :D

Ratpoison is something I tried a while ago, but didn't really know which programs to use with it. :)

Have downloaded Salix Ratpoison today, after reading about a movie viewer I had not heard of,
& it can connect to the internet with wifi.

A live usb image is the way to go these days, because of the number of netbooks that don't have
optical drives.

Will be keeping my eye on this thread..... :P

fatmac
Shador

Post by Shador »

fatmac wrote:A live commandline based distro is 'just up my street'. :D

Ratpoison is something I tried a while ago, but didn't really know which programs to use with it. :)

Have downloaded Salix Ratpoison today, after reading about a movie viewer I had not heard of,
& it can connect to the internet with wifi.

A live usb image is the way to go these days, because of the number of netbooks that don't have
optical drives.

Will be keeping my eye on this thread..... :P

fatmac
You can run the installer too from USB. There are even instructions in the wiki.

And with grub2 you don't even need to burn a CD to install/boot from many iso images (Salix' included).
patroclo7

Post by patroclo7 »

Hi, I have installed salixos ratpoison 13.37 as my first flavor of salixos in general (but I am a relatively seasoned linux and ratpoison user). Everything is really smooth and with a wise but simple configuration. Really nice, it could become my main distro.
Tim CowChip

Post by Tim CowChip »

mimosa wrote:@ Tim CowChip

There are ergonomic advantages - just as there are to not looking at the keyboard when you type. Of course, it's a matter of taste, and depends on one's computer usage. Not using the mouse forces you to discover different ways of doing things, and sometimes they have unexpected benefits. The initial learning curve is steep, although it makes a difference that Ratpoison (among other tiling WMs) is designed in a way that many people quickly find quite intuitive.
I have been using spectrwm a lot lately and have come to appreciate its tiling feature, though I cheat with dmenu, idesk and lxpanel, I am using the keyboard more to open and close windows and switch workspaces.
ImageImage
deja69

Post by deja69 »

Just wanted to add my bit with regards to Ratpoison,in particular to the posts who understandably are confused by having an OS that doesnt have a mouse.
On my laptop,i have a Synaptic/Scrybe mousepad,this mousepad requires proprietry drivers (S/S have kindly supplied Linux drivers on their website),so each time i try a new installed distro,i have to use a USB mouse,or if i want to use the S/S mousepad,i install the drivers,no big deal then?However having done this umpteen times i got to understand the S/S drivers seem to impact on parts of my system,i felt more than necessary..and with them being proprietry and neither FOSS nor FLOSS im not in the position to fully compehend the reasons why.
So if i want to be on the go with my laptop,without having to carry a extra mouse,and i want code on my HD i can actually read! ;) Ratpoison is perfect :D i can see other interesting consequences of this flavor too.And im warming to it.
Biodiversity is natural (and fun!)...the Borg isnt ;)
mrstordal

Post by mrstordal »

Just want to say that I really enjoy computing with the Salix 13.37 Ratpoison edition! I am definitely keeping it on my computer forever, and am excited about the simplicity of it all! A question, if anyone ever gets a chance to answer: Is there any possibility/ need to upgrade to Slackware 14.0, as long as everything works just fine?

Steven from Norway
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I'd say if you're happy with your setup, why change? Earlier releases of Salix continue to be fully supported, in particular, with security upgrades.

One reason to change might be to take advantage of some new package or feature not available in earlier versions.

I personally do tend to upgrade with each Salix release, but that's mainly because I'm messy and it's a good opportunity for a springclean.
Last edited by mimosa on 21. Oct 2012, 21:38, edited 1 time in total.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Yeah, if it's not broken, don't fix it.
mrstordal

Post by mrstordal »

True. Thank you for good advice!