Salix Live Xfce 13.37 RC1

Akuna
Salix Wizard

Re: Salix Live Xfce 13.37 RC1

Post by Akuna »

@ fatmac
Are you saying that using liveclone to setup Salix on a USB key, then lunching the live installer from that USB key to install Salix on a system with a separate /home partition will produce your problem?

If I understand well you want to keep /home untouched?

In such case the procedure would be to first designate the partition for /, which will be wiped, partitioned & populated with the new system and then when you are asked to set up other Linux partitions, to designate your partition for home with no partitioning design so that it doesn't get wiped. Can you confirm if that is what you did?

ATM I am totally out of the picture due to a seasonal peak load in my regular work but I should be able to check and eventually fix this after the 20th (roughly).
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

For the installation from the LiveCD, it is not possible for now to keep your /home partition easily.
One way would be to not mount /home in the installation process.
Then, after then installation, boot it, switch to runlevel 3, log as root and then :
- modify /etc/fstab to add your old /home partition.
- modify /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow and /etc/group to match the ones from your old partition regarding you old users.
- delete /home contains and issue "mount /home"
Then switch back to runlevel 4.

This would propably work, but as you see, it's not supported at the moment in the live installer.

About "Managed to transfer cd.iso to pendrive, via liveclone, but can't install to hdd." I think something is wrong here: liveclone is not intended to be used to do that. For installing to the hard-drive, you must boot the iso (via a CD or via your pendrive) and then install using salix-live-installer, not using liveclone.
Liveclone is to be used to customize the LiveCD and make another LiveCD with it.

[Edit] Ooops, I didn't see that Akuna already replied :|
fatmac

Post by fatmac »

@JRD/akuna
I think maybe I didn't explain clearly enough.

My netbook doesn't have an optical drive, therefore I can't install from cdrom.
On a second machine, I ran the livecd & using liveclone made a live pendrive,
(ie. a copy of the livecd on the pendrive.)
I then plugged this live pendrive into my netbook, & attempted to install to hdd.
When I got to the partitioning part of the installer, after having repartitioned my
internal hdd (swap+/+/home) the green tick mark doesn't appear, & continuing
on to the end of the installer, the box at the right (to finish & install to hdd),
stays greyed out, & therefore I can't get any further with the installation.

I hope this makes the problem clearer.

I have the previous version installed from livecd to another laptop, but that was
done via an inbuilt optical drive.

There is no urgency for me to get this bug fixed, as the netbook is 'just another laptop',
but I thought I ought to let you know, as others may be trying to install to a netbook.

All the best
Shador

Post by Shador »

Try the second possibility mentioned here: http://www.salixos.org/wiki/index.php/H ... _a_USB_key
This leaves you with an unmodified Salix Live just that it's booted from USB. Not too sure what liveclone actually does.

If you you have grub >= 1.99 on that system of yours, you can also use the loopback.cfg method to boot an iso image directly from anywhere on your drive. This works exactly the same as with Ubuntu, ....
In the next release we should have support for loopback booting a ISO image directly with any bootloader.
fatmac

Post by fatmac »

@shador
Thanks for the link.
I used the first method to make my pendrive, but I will try the second method tomorrow.
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

fatmac wrote: When I got to the partitioning part of the installer, after having repartitioned my
internal hdd (swap+/+/home) the green tick mark doesn't appear, & continuing
on to the end of the installer, the box at the right (to finish & install to hdd),
stays greyed out, & therefore I can't get any further with the installation.
From your description, it seems that maybe you only partitioned your disk drive with gparted (that process is now included in the installation routine) but once you are finished with the actual partitioning, you should continue setting up your partitions by telling the installer which is the main partition, which is the home partition, etc... and once you do that, you will have a recap of your choice and the green tick will be activated as well as the final 'Launch installation' button

I can see now that this part of the installer may not be clear enough now that Gparted is included in the routine. I'll try to make it clearer.
Shador wrote:This leaves you with an unmodified Salix Live just that it's booted from USB. Not too sure what liveclone actually does.
LiveClone actually does exactly that, if you select the 'unmodified' option ;)
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
fatmac

Post by fatmac »

>From your description, it seems that maybe you only partitioned your disk drive with gparted (that process is now included in the installation routine) but >once you are finished with the actual partitioning, you should continue setting up your partitions by telling the installer which is the main partition, which is >the home partition, etc... and once you do that, you will have a recap of your choice and the green tick will be activated as well as the final 'Launch >installation' button

>I can see now that this part of the installer may not be clear enough now that Gparted is included in the routine. I'll try to make it clearer.

I expected to do all the setup & labelling whilst in the partitioner, but didn't seem able to; I must have done something wrong, so I will try again

> Shador wrote:This leaves you with an unmodified Salix Live just that it's booted from USB. Not too sure what liveclone actually does.
>LiveClone actually does exactly that, if you select the 'unmodified' option ;)

Good to know I don't need to redo the pendrive.

Thanks for your time Akuna.
fatmac

Post by fatmac »

@Akuna
Retried installing from pendrive several times, but still no green tick after partitioning.

Attempt 1
Created & labelled partitions
sda1=swap=1gb
sda2=/=5000mb
sda3=/home=rest(140.74gb
(had a little bit of trouble setting the boot flag)
Still no green tick
Launch salix installer still greyed out

Attempt 2
deleted & recreated /home partition
Still no green tick

Attempt 3
Deleted all partitions
Created & labelled partitions
sda1=swap=1gb
sda2=/=5000mb setting the boot flag
sda3=/home=rest(140.74gb
Still no green tick

All the above attempts on Acer Aspire One 532 10.1" netbook

Just to be sure, I even tried it on my Acer Aspire One 722 11.6" netbook
Exactly the same as Attempt 3

As I was experimenting, I ran the livecd on my Advent laptop to see what would happen.
On selecting live installer & going to the partitioner, I got a screen called
'Please select salix main partition'

This never came up on either of my netbooks!

So I am thinking this may be the problem.

@JRD
I was told that liveclone made an exact copy of the livecd on a pendrive, is this not the case?
Should I copy all the files from the livecd to a formated pendrive & then run install-to-USB.sh?

I need to install from a pendrive, as my netbooks don't have optical drives.
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

I was told that liveclone made an exact copy of the livecd on a pendrive, is this not the case?
It is supposed to do so. But i'm not sure of the behavior of the current version...
Should I copy all the files from the livecd to a formated pendrive & then run install-to-USB.sh?
Yes, this has been tested and it works very well.
fatmac

Post by fatmac »

@JRD
>> Should I copy all the files from the livecd to a formated pendrive & then run install-to-USB.sh?
> Yes, this has been tested and it works very well.

Deleted everything from pendrive, copied everything from livecd to pendrive, cd <pendrive>/boot,
ran instal-to-USB.sh, & created my live pendrive anew.

Booted from pendrive on my netbook (Acer AO532), ran Salix Installer, & hit the very same problem.
Reformatted / & /home partitions, set the boot flag, exited partitioner, but still no green tick.
Last edited by fatmac on 8. Dec 2011, 17:55, edited 1 time in total.