Salix Live Xfce 13.37 RC1

ikke

Re: Salix Live Xfce 13.37 RC1

Post by ikke »

Shador wrote:You can create a new loopdevice on the fly with (whereas <num> is a number not yet used by a /dev/loop* device):

Code: Select all

mknod -m660 /dev/loop<num> b 7 <num>
chown root:disk /dev/loop<num>
Would like to confirm that your advice is correct and most helpful. Problem solved! My code :

mknod -m660 /dev/loop11 b 7 11; chown root:disk /dev/loop11
Shador wrote:Alternatively you can use the kernel parameter "max_loop=<some number>" to increase the amount of maximum loopdevices available, if you know it in advance. Press 'e' at the "Start salix-live-...." menu entry and enter at the end of the line starting with linux the parameter. Then press 'Ctrl + X' to execute the modified menu entry and thus boot the kernel.
Am confident I can trust you now as well. So next time I'll booting Salix Live Xfce 13.37 RC1, I'll use following cheatcode "max_loop=11".

Thanking you very much for your good advice!
ikke

Post by ikke »

ruario wrote:
ikke wrote:I can use opera 11.52 after installing it with 'installpkg'. When using a module made from the same file the desktop icons and image disappear. Very strange...
I would guess it has something to do with the calls to update-desktop-database and gtk-update-icon-cache in the the doinst.sh within the Opera package's doinst.sh. These are present to ensure that Opera's icons and desktop files show up immediately. This works exactly as described in a typical desktop setup, but perhaps it is causing an issue when part of a module for some reason. You could test by making modules with these packages, which I have tweaked to remove the calls to update-desktop-database, update-mime-database and gtk-update-icon-cache for you.

http://people.opera.com/ruario/test/ope ... 86-2ro.txz
http://people.opera.com/ruario/test/ope ... 64-2ro.txz
Thank you for reaction.
You are right. Have made a module out of your opera-11.52-i686-2ro.txz file and the problems have disappeared. Don't understand what you have been doing though.
But the file you provide does the job ...
Got the impression that opera is now a bit slower???
Thank you.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

One thing I've noticed a couple of times is that wicd seems to forget to look for wireless at wlan0. I'm not sure, but I think in previous versions of Salix, it doesn't even need to be told the first time, it just assumes eth0 and wlan0.

It's no trouble to fix once you know, but could be an irritating stumbling block. I'm pretty sure this is something that used to "just work".
ikke

Post by ikke »

Just wondering : were you able to solve the 'shutdown' problem?

Another very small detail. When running skype, I don't hear the opening sound. Nor do I hear the bell ringing. But after a connection has been made, sound is OK. Strange! (I don't experience this problem with the version installed on Hard Disk from the installation iso.)

Thank you for attention.
gnomic

Post by gnomic »

Running live on a desktop, IBM ThinkCentre 8087-35M. P4 3GHz, 1 g RAM, no OS installed, Intel 82865G integrated video. Monitor is a Compaq FP7317 LCD. This does 1280x1024 preferably, but is running as 1024x768 with no option for 1280x1024 in the Xfce settings. A minor annoyance but one which does take a few minutes work to sort out.
fatmac

Post by fatmac »

Managed to transfer cd.iso to pendrive, via liveclone, but can't install to hdd.

I tried to keep my separate /home, this didn't work; zapped /home & /; still wouldn't let me install.

Just don't get the partition bit to a green tick, or the greyed out install to come live.

Acer Aspire One 532 10.1" netbook.

Any hints what to try?
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

I'm not the main developper of Liveclone, but as I discussed with Akuna, the software is still not finished. So it's kinda expected that this does not work very well...sorry.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Try running Gparted separately first to make sure you have your desired partition scheme. This shouldn't make any difference, but your problem sounds slightly like one I had where the installation got stuck at that point.

I imagine you no longer want to preserve your existing /home partition, since you say it already got wiped. However, this wouldn't be entirely straightforward in any case, since each user is created with default configurations, and these need to be the right ones for the version of linux installed on / . If you keep the same username, I believe all these standard files will be overwritten.

One way would be to ask during the installation for /home to be mounted on the corresponding partition, and not formatted (but maybe that's where things went wrong?) but then create your user for the new installation with a different name. Then you can copy data and any personalised configuration files into the new user's directory, e.g.:

cp -r /home/olduser/.config/my_browser/configfiles/* /home/newuser/.config/my_browser/configfiles  
You might need to change the permissions on the files, though one way to get round this would be to rename the old user first:

mv /home/my_favourite_username /home/tempuser
then you can keep the same name too :)
Last edited by mimosa on 6. Dec 2011, 21:01, edited 1 time in total.
fatmac

Post by fatmac »

Thanks for the responses.

@JRD
Unfinished is OK, it is RC1; but can this be brought to the attention of whoever does the live installer, before final release.
(ie from a live pendrive , can't install to hdd)

@mimosa
Most distros I've tried can normally be persuaded to use my previous /home.
I tend to allow it to overwrite any special/dot files, & then, recursively, chown of my files, to what the system expects;
whether that is keith:staff , keith:1000, or whatever; usually works.

@the developers
Thanks for a nice unified distro.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I understand the files in /etc/skel are copied into the subdirectory for any user you create, overwriting anything that's already there if you asked for /home to be mounted to a partition that will not be formatted and there is a preexisting user with the same name, but in that case I believe nothing is deleted. Those leftover files could very well cause trouble, but your data shouldn't get wiped unless you format the partition. However, I've always done it roughly as I described, to have more control (and after all, any important data will be backed up to another medium from which it could be restored), so I may be wrong.