Salix Live Xfce 13.37 RC1

fatmac

Re: Salix Live Xfce 13.37 RC1

Post by fatmac »

@JRD
I'm going to try again by deleting all partitions, repartition, reformat, reset boot flag, & see if that makes a difference.

No, still will not give me a green tick, so can't install.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

You are performing all the steps, I take it? That is, I don't have the installer to hand, but apart from the partitions, there are five or ten items down the left hand side such as locale, date/time, with actual partitioning somwhere in the middle, and you have to set options for all of them before you can finally commit to the install. Otherwise, the button remains grey. I think you eventually get about ten green ticks. I'm sure this is obvious, but it seemed worth checking.

Another thing to try: partition with Gparted (actually, assuming your partitions really are as you wish and workable, you can omit this step ;) ) and reboot

In the installer, you then don't need to go to Gparted - just tick on all ok as is.

Just in case, it might be worth posting the output of

Code: Select all

#parted -l
or similar.

EDIT Never mind the below, I got it from here:

http://people.salixos.org/akuna/livetoo ... er/testing

PS Could someone remind me of the name of the package, and I can install it and be less vague? I know it's only meant for Live, but I'd just like to see the GUI again with fresh eyes.
fatmac

Post by fatmac »

@mimosa
Yes I'm doing all the steps. :)
Everything except partitioner gets a nice green tick. :(

& parted -l gives :-

Model: ATA Hitachi HTS54161 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 160GB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: gpt

Number Start End Size File system Name Flags
1 1049kB 1075MB 1074MB linux-swap(v1)
2 1075MB 6318MB 5243MB ext4 boot
3 6318MB 160GB 154GB ext4

Model: USB Flash Memory (scsi)
Disk /dev/sdb: 1007MB
Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
Partition Table: msdos

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
1 31.7kB 1007MB 1007MB primary fat32 boot

( Internal HDD + pendrive + pendrive)
Sent to a file, copied to pendrive, & pasted here.

As I mentioned earlier, this also happens on another netbook.
Just don't get a green tick after partitioning, labelling, & setting the boot flag.
fatmac

Post by fatmac »

Just a shot in the dark, but has anyone reading this thread managed to install to an Acer netbook?
Shador

Post by Shador »

It's not the notebook, I'm fairly sure. Are you sure you pressed "Select partition" once and afterwards "Apply settings" twice (I think without msdos partitions (ntfs and fat*) only once) in the partitions tab? At the very beginning your also prompted for a swap partition if existent, but that's impossible to miss. This should give you a screen like this in the end depending on your setup and choices:
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

fatmac wrote:As I was experimenting, I ran the livecd on my Advent laptop to see what would happen.
On selecting live installer & going to the partitioner, I got a screen called
'Please select salix main partition'

This never came up on either of my netbooks!
Yes! That seems to be the problem. You should always get that screen right after the partitioning stage. I'll try to reproduce this & fix it as soon as I can.
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
fatmac

Post by fatmac »

@shador
That is the very type of screen that I am not getting ;)
fatmac

Post by fatmac »

@Akuna
Thanks, (but no rush for me) :D

Wasn't quite sure how to describe this problem ;)
Shador

Post by Shador »

mimosa wrote:One thing I've noticed a couple of times is that wicd seems to forget to look for wireless at wlan0. I'm not sure, but I think in previous versions of Salix, it doesn't even need to be told the first time, it just assumes eth0 and wlan0.

It's no trouble to fix once you know, but could be an irritating stumbling block. I'm pretty sure this is something that used to "just work".
The settings regarded interfaces are actually completely left out in the package and so also in the live cd. I assume the wicd daemon sets them on first startup and it works here on my laptop. On my other notebook it doesn't but that's as expected as neither wired nor wireless interface are supported by the kernel. Maybe for some reason the modules required are not being loaded at startup or not early enough?
Setting the values by default to eth0 and wlan0 is a bad idea as especially wlan0 can have different names with different drivers.
gnomic wrote:Running live on a desktop, IBM ThinkCentre 8087-35M. P4 3GHz, 1 g RAM, no OS installed, Intel 82865G integrated video. Monitor is a Compaq FP7317 LCD. This does 1280x1024 preferably, but is running as 1024x768 with no option for 1280x1024 in the Xfce settings. A minor annoyance but one which does take a few minutes work to sort out.
X11 or hardware issue. Nothing we can do about that.
ikke wrote:Another very small detail. When running skype, I don't hear the opening sound. Nor do I hear the bell ringing. But after a connection has been made, sound is OK. Strange! (I don't experience this problem with the version installed on Hard Disk from the installation iso.)
No idea what's causing this. Seems to be specific to the closed-source application skype only. As this is probably extremely hard to track down, don't expect to see a fix for it, unless you find the cause yourself.
ruario

Post by ruario »

ikke wrote:Have made a module out of your opera-11.52-i686-2ro.txz file and the problems have disappeared.
On updating Opera to 11.60 I changed the post install slightly. I'd be interested to know if this stops you seeing the problem as well.