Salix will be married with slackware

fredg

Salix will be married with slackware

Post by fredg »

Hi,

After some nice and long discussions with the Slackware crew, it has been decided that our work is not so bad after all and that our tools and extra repos will be move to the Slackware one.
The use of slapt-get deps checking will stay optionnal to not hurt the old men with a big beard too quickly.

So, just wait a couple of weeks and you will be a real slacker :)

++
Alex

Re: Salix will be married with slackware

Post by Alex »

I hope it's not connected with date :)
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Yes, after long talks we came up to this mutual decision. The Salix website will soon disappear and just point to the slackware main site. The next slackware version (which is going to be 15.0, we're skipping 14.0 and all versions in between, just to show that it's a big leap compared to previous versions) is going to be released in about a month's time and it's going to include everything you've used to seeing in salix: slapt-get/gslapt as package managers, (optional) dependency support, all the extra packages that salix is offering. Also, all new slackware packages will be built using slkbuild from now on. This will make packaging for slackware a lot easier and simpler. The older ones that were built using traditional SlackBuild scripts will not be changed overnight, but there is going to be a gradual shift towards using slkbuild for everything. The transition will probably be completed until slackware 16.0, due in approximately two years time. The slackbuilds.org is expected to follow suit with these changes.
Andyun

Post by Andyun »

I think, that after such global changes Ubuntu will be forced migrate to use of the Slackware's package management system, in order to maintain its leading position among Linux distributions. :D
Alex

Post by Alex »

I still remember what date it is (was). After such sweet promises, if it's a joke, it's a cruel one :?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

:P
Shador

Post by Shador »

Lol. :D That was a full hit for me. I did not even get the hint Alex was giving until I was catching some other such news. :P
Alex wrote:After such sweet promises, if it's a joke, it's a cruel one :?
That's just jokes. Being fooled and wrong expectations is always kind of cruel.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Of course, "cruel" was not very serious too. But, at first, I really believed in that.
Actually, I dislike an idea of "marrying" Salix and Slackware, becuase, in this case, Salix will be just a part of Slackware. But, I was glad to hear about new Slackware (and Salix) version 8-)
caitlyn

Post by caitlyn »

Careful. Same source marriages are still illegal in most of the United States.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I say, vive la différence!