MATE Desktop Environment packages

gapan
Salix Wizard

MATE Desktop Environment packages

Post by gapan »

Hi!

I have built MATE packages for Salix! For anyone that is not familiar with MATE, it's the fork of Gnome2 that has emerged after Gnome3 was released and almost everyone was disappointed with it. This seems to have evolved quite nicely. It now has every bit of important functionality that the old Gnome2 had and the packages are now very stable.

Now that Gnome and all of its projects have moved to Gnome3/GTK+3, we'll probably use more parts of Mate in future salix versions, especially if Slackware doesn't upgrade to GTK+3. It would have been impossible to use newer versions of evince, file-roller etc without GTK+3, so the Mate GTK+2 equivalents that are identical to the evince, file-roller packages we now have in Salix area probably going to take their place.

Packages are here:
i486: http://salix.enialis.net/i486/13.37/salix/mate/
x86_64: http://salix.enialis.net/x86_64/13.37/salix/mate/

For everyone that wants to try it out, you can easily install all packages in your Salix with:
slapt-get --install-set mate

Please report any issues, although honestly, I think there should be none.

We're probably going to have a Mate edition soon too. ;)

Have fun!
Andyun

Re: MATE Desktop Environment packages

Post by Andyun »

Thank you!
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Wow!

To try this out in my Salix Ratpoison/Xmonad, presumably I need to create an .xinitrc for it. I already call those WMs with a little script that writes the respective file over ~/.xinitrc and then calls startx. Will such an approach work with this rather heavier DE?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

mimosa wrote:To try this out in my Salix Ratpoison/Xmonad, presumably I need to create an .xinitrc for it. I already call those WMs with a little script that writes the respective file over ~/.xinitrc and then calls startx. Will such an approach work with this rather heavier DE?
Of course it would work. There is already a xinitrc.mate inside the packages.
Matthias

Post by Matthias »

Wie geil ist das denn? :D
„Zwei Dinge sind unendlich, das Universum und die menschliche Dummheit, aber bei dem Universum bin ich mir noch nicht ganz sicher.“

Albert Einstein
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Unendlich geil :P

In plain English, it's great, but around 100 times slower than my normal WM. As mplayer likes to say, Your machine is too SLOW to play this. I look forward to trying it out on my wife's new laptop :)
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

Very good work gapan.
zAchAry

Post by zAchAry »

mate-media (MATE media utilities)
mate-volume-control
Icons are not recognized.
ImageImageImage

Is it possible to run Atril (mate-document-viewer) with libgnome-keyring (without libmatekeyring) by creating a shortcut (or vice versa)?
Last edited by zAchAry on 5. Apr 2012, 05:00, edited 2 times in total.
Help to make Slackware easier Donate to Salix
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

zAchAry wrote:mate-media (MATE media utilities)
mate-volume-control
What architecture are you using? Can you also check the Controls and Icons tabs inside Customize in mate-appearance-properties? Do you get questionmarks?
zAchAry wrote:Is it possible to run Atril (mate-document-viewer) with libgnome-keyring (without libmatekeyring) by creating a shortcut (or vice versa)?
No.
zAchAry

Post by zAchAry »

gapan wrote:
zAchAry wrote:mate-media (MATE media utilities)
mate-volume-control
What architecture are you using? Can you also check the Controls and Icons tabs inside Customize in mate-appearance-properties? Do you get questionmarks?
I'm using i486.
I do not see a package named mate-appearance-properties nor a command.

Trash is not working for mate-file-manager.

Installed packages

Code: Select all

$ slapt-get --list | grep mate | grep inst=yes
libmatekeyring-1.2.0-i486-1gv [inst=yes]: libmatekeyring (a library to interact with mate-keyring)
mate-conf-1.2.1-i486-1gv [inst=yes]: mate-conf (the MATE Configuration database system)
mate-conf-editor-1.2.0-i486-1gv [inst=yes]: mate-conf-editor (GTK+2 Editor for MATEconf)
mate-corba-1.2.1-i486-1gv [inst=yes]: mate-corba (a high-performance CORBA)
mate-desktop-1.2.0-i486-1gv [inst=yes]: mate-desktop (The MATE Desktop environment)
mate-doc-utils-1.2.1-i486-1gv [inst=yes]: mate-doc-utils (documentation utilities for the Mate project)
mate-document-viewer-1.2.1-i486-1gv [inst=yes]: mate-document-viewer (simply a document viewer)
mate-file-archiver-20120330-i486-1gv [inst=yes]: mate-file-archver (an archive manager for MATE)
mate-file-manager-1.2.0-i486-1gv [inst=yes]: mate-file-manager (file manager and graphical shell for MATE)
mate-media-1.2.1-i486-1gv [inst=yes]: mate-media (MATE media utilities)
Help to make Slackware easier Donate to Salix