MATE Desktop Environment packages

zAchAry

Re: MATE Desktop Environment packages

Post by zAchAry »

loukingjr wrote:How do I change the menu icon in MATE? I tried mateconf-editor>apps>panel>objects>menu_bar_screen0 and checked use custom icon and gave it the path to the icon but nothing changed once I closed mce.

on the other hand where does the Salix icon live so I can recolor it? it's black and doesn't show well in the panel with dark themes.
Which icon theme are you currently using?
If it is GNOME, then go to /usr/share/icons/gnome/*/categories/ and find the icons that you would like to replace.

Copy the index.theme (edit Name=<any_name>) file along with the directory structure and shortcut files.
Pick the desired icons and rename them accordingly.
Help to make Slackware easier Donate to Salix
loukingjr

Post by loukingjr »

zAchAry wrote:
loukingjr wrote:How do I change the menu icon in MATE? I tried mateconf-editor>apps>panel>objects>menu_bar_screen0 and checked use custom icon and gave it the path to the icon but nothing changed once I closed mce.

on the other hand where does the Salix icon live so I can recolor it? it's black and doesn't show well in the panel with dark themes.
Which icon theme are you currently using?
If it is GNOME, then go to /usr/share/icons/gnome/*/categories/ and find the icons that you would like to replace.

Copy the index.theme (edit Name=<any_name>) file along with the directory structure and shortcut files.
Pick the desired icons and rename them accordingly.
I only want to change one icon. the menu button icon that defaults to one of the Salix.png or Salix.svg icons. no matter what icon theme one switches to that remains the same. generally I install new icon themes in /home/<user>/.icons. I have no trouble switching icon themes. just the menu button icon in MATE. I just want to be able to set the menu button icon regardless of which icon theme I happen to be using.
there are three kinds of people in the world. those that can count, and those that can't.
iMac 2.8Ghz i7
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

zAchAry wrote:The icons are located at /usr/share/icons/mate/ instead of /usr/share/icons/hicolor/
OK, we can change that. Does that mean that icons work for you if you select the mate-icon-theme?
Sadly, you can't. It's hardcoded. That option in mateconf that you found looks like it's the one, but it isn't really.
loukingjr wrote:on the other hand where does the Salix icon live so I can recolor it? it's black and doesn't show well in the panel with dark themes.
As you have found it's the "salix" icon. If you add one with that name in your current icon theme, it will replace the default one.
loukingjr

Post by loukingjr »

does it matter where in the icon theme you add it? let's say I have AwOken in ~/.icons which has several nested folders. I tried to add a white salix.png there or does it have to be a salix.svg file?
there are three kinds of people in the world. those that can count, and those that can't.
iMac 2.8Ghz i7
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

loukingjr wrote:does it matter where in the icon theme you add it? let's say I have AwOken in ~/.icons which has several nested folders. I tried to add a white salix.png there or does it have to be a salix.svg file?
No, it shouldn't matter where in the icon theme you put it. As long as it's in there. I don't think the filetype matters.
loukingjr

Post by loukingjr »

eureka! I found it. lol It has to go in the apps folder of the icon theme. thanks for all the help. :D

edit: special thanks to gapan. I posted a screen over in the artwork thread.
iMac 2.8Ghz i7
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

zAchAry wrote:
gapan wrote:But do you have gvfs installed?
Yes.
Do you have gnome-mount installed?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

witek wrote:Nothing important but when I start caja for the first time from terminal it behaves like this:

in terminal: caja - the window opens
close the caja window with click on the upper-right cross - the window closes but the terminal is locked and says
CRITICAL **: mate_bg_crossfade_start: assertion `fade->priv->fading_pixmap != NULL' failed
hit Ctrl-C - caja unexpectedly starts again
then it works normally.
I don't think that's a problem. Instead of hitting Ctrl-C, try hitting the enter key. It may have exited properly anyway.
zAchAry

Post by zAchAry »

gapan wrote:
zAchAry wrote:The icons are located at /usr/share/icons/mate/ instead of /usr/share/icons/hicolor/
OK, we can change that. Does that mean that icons work for you if you select the mate-icon-theme?
Yes, all of them.
gapan wrote:
zAchAry wrote:
gapan wrote:But do you have gvfs installed?
Yes.
Do you have gnome-mount installed?
Yes.
Help to make Slackware easier Donate to Salix
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

beta1 ISO images for MATE are ready: http://www.salixos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=3396
:)