Salix MATE 13.37beta1

reyoutiao

Re: Salix MATE 13.37beta1

Post by reyoutiao »

Wow. Just really well-implemented all around.

Quick response, pretty, and MATE is very well-integrated. I think this will be my main Salix install.

MATE doesn't seem much different from Gnome 2. What changes did the developer make?
Shador

Post by Shador »

reyoutiao wrote:MATE doesn't seem much different from Gnome 2. What changes did the developer make?
I guess mainly the renaming of all tools and changes needed to be able to install gnome and mate alongside. And of course probably a lot of bugfixes for those changes and whatever is needed to continue support with a fork (e.g. security fixes, ...). Maybe some features too but solely the renaming and removing conflicts should be a lot of work already if trying to minimize bugs caused by it.
But I'm just doing a educated guess with what seems quite reasonable.
justwantin

Post by justwantin »

I'm not sure how the general Linux community (accustomed to English words, or French at best
Its one of those words that needs context to know the pronunciation unlike libre which would be obvious to almost anyone with some exposure to Spanish or Portuguese.

I agree that mate as in tea sounds much better than mate as in g'day mate. I live in Oz now but used to live in New Mexico.
Merit?
None whatsoever!

www.turtlespond.net
DavidMcCann

Post by DavidMcCann »

justwantin wrote:I agree that mate as in tea sounds much better than mate as in g'day mate. I live in Oz now but used to live in New Mexico.
The name does create a problem when searching for a topic on the internet: "gnome xim" is successful, but "mate xim" gets every forum post about xim where someone says "Thanks, mate". When I first saw it capitalised I assumed it was an acronym and pronounced English-style. The accepted spelling for the tea in Britain has always been maté, but that produces the wrong pronunciation for Spanish. You can see why companies pay big money for advice on product names!
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

DavidMcCann wrote:Whaaw wasn't being verbose: just explaining exactly why it couldn't to play the file. Naturally I installed the codecs (I did say that Parole worked) and then checked flv, wmv, and mp4 videos, with all failing to play.
Are you saying that whaaw failed to play those files after you installed the codecs? That would be very strange, as parole uses exactly the same framework for playing everything.
DavidMcCann wrote:Redundancies
Both the Gnome and Mate versions of the keyring daemon and ssh are set up.
No getting around that. Both have to be installed. The MATE desktop itself needs the mate-keyring and there are a lot of other applications that specifically need the gnome-keyring. No way to use one in place of the other.
DavidMcCann wrote:Other problems
Mate seems to have inherited some Gnome bugs. I can't use xim and I've mentioned that at the Mate forum. Keyboard shortcuts using Super have to be set with the configuration tool because the shortcut program doesn't accept them; I haven't told them about that, but I shall. The panel's keyboard indicator can't show a British keyboard, because the flag has been named uk instead of gb. You can see I'm really having to scrape the barrel to find bugs!
No idea about xim as I don't use it and I haven't tried it. The flag problem can be easily fixed.
DavidMcCann

Post by DavidMcCann »

gapan wrote:No idea about xim as I don't use it and I haven't tried it.
Gnome uses its own encoded compose table, so you can't customise the compose codes unless you switch to xim, the standard Xorg input tool. I know it's an esoteric requirement, but for anyone who needs a lot of special symbols it's the difference between usable and unusable in a desktop.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

DavidMcCann wrote:The name does create a problem when searching for a topic on the internet: "gnome xim" is successful, but "mate xim" gets every forum post about xim where someone says "Thanks, mate".
Yep :x I've noticed that when searching for mate, too.
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

You're searching for mate..Have you tried meetic? :D
tnmarktx

Post by tnmarktx »

MATE edition is awesome! Best yet!
gapan