Salix MATE 13.37beta1

djemos
Salix Warrior

Re: Salix MATE 13.37beta1

Post by djemos »

I installed and i fully tested mate. I remember old good days of gnome.
Salix Mate is very good version of Salix and works fine.
Gapan, Great job !!!!!!!! :)
DavidMcCann

Post by DavidMcCann »

Mate's made great strides since it first appeared. I've run 10 programs in the terminal so far with not one complaint from bash.

Whaaw is a mess (as usual):
gstgiosrc.c(324): gst_gio_src_get_stream (): /GstPlayBin2:player/GstURIDecodeBin:uridecodebin0/GstGioSrc:source:
Could not open location file:///media/%home1/david/downloads/test.mp4 for reading: Operation not supported
gstgiobasesrc.c(131): gst_gio_base_src_start (): /GstPlayBin2:player/GstURIDecodeBin:uridecodebin0/GstGioSrc:source: No input stream provided by subclass
gstgiosrc.c(324): gst_gio_src_get_stream (): /GstPlayBin2:player/GstURIDecodeBin:uridecodebin0/GstGioSrc:source:
Could not open location file:///media/%home1/david/downloads/test.mp4 for reading: Operation not supported
gstgiobasesrc.c(131): gst_gio_base_src_start (): /GstPlayBin2:player/GstURIDecodeBin:uridecodebin0/GstGioSrc:source: No input stream provided by subclass

Parole works perfectly, but installing with Gslapt brought in all of Xfce from the look of it: I've now got Mousepad and Thunar in the menu! Mate needs an equivalent to Gnome-mplayer.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Adys wrote:This post is not a technical one. I apologize in advance for that.
Why apologize? :D
Adys wrote:@gapan, please correct the "news" announcement to specify you are releasing a beta1 version. Both the "news" page and in the main page of the web site, the news item says "Salix 13.37 MATE" or something alike, but the title of the news item doesn't mention it is a beta1 release (as the title of this topic indeed says it is, as also in DW).
Thanks, done. Since over half a day ago actually. :mrgreen:
Adys wrote:PS: @gapan it could be useful to mention the expected minimum and recommended hardware requirements in the OP. If that info is currently unknown, then it could be useful to request such feedback info from beta testers (and from the MATE developers).
Should be about the same as with the xfce edition. I ran it in a VM with 490MB of RAM and after login, MATE consumes a total of 140MB.
djemos wrote:gimp in mate needs some packages to installed and add to melt packages-full list.
They are ilmbase, openexr, libwmf
to see them just run gimp in a xterm.
Those are not really dependencies. They are only needed by a couple of plugins. Gimp still works without them. It's just that some very rare formats can't be used. They were left out on purpose, just as they were left out on purpose in all other releases. They are listed as suggestions in the package manager too.
djemos wrote:I installed and i fully tested mate. I remember old good days of gnome.
Salix Mate is very good version of Salix and works fine.
Gapan, Great job !!!!!!!! :)
Thank you! :)
DavidMcCann wrote:Whaaw is a mess (as usual):
But it does function properly, doesn't it? Were these before or after installing multimedia codecs? Some apps are more verbose than others I guess.
DavidMcCann wrote:Parole works perfectly, but installing with Gslapt brought in all of Xfce from the look of it
Of course. That's why parole isn't an options for any other edition.
DavidMcCann wrote:Mate needs an equivalent to Gnome-mplayer.
You can still use gnome-mplayer. There is nothing gnome-specific to it, despite the name. But we can't include it by default, we need a gstreamer based player as the default player.
Shador

Post by Shador »

gapan wrote:
DavidMcCann wrote:Whaaw is a mess (as usual):
But it does function properly, doesn't it? Were these before or after installing multimedia codecs? Some apps are more verbose than others I guess.
I guess I should drop all output and comments from future programms. (Informational) messages surely are a bad thing. If I'm providing first aid, I won't talk with the victim anymore at all. Just press the cold cool pack on his neck. His problem if he doesn't expect it. Who needs warnings. Maybe my doctor should also stop informing me about any possible malfunctions? :twisted: ;)
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Shador wrote:I guess I should drop all output and comments from future programms. (Informational) messages surely are a bad thing. If I'm providing first aid, I won't talk with the victim anymore at all. Just press the cold cool pack on his neck. His problem if he doesn't expect it. Who needs warnings. Maybe my doctor should also stop informing me about any possible malfunctions? :twisted: ;)
To be honest, I'm not that comfortable with applications being too verbose either. The traditional *nix way is to show messages only if there are real errors, otherwise shut up. Some applications are definitely breaking this rule. All gstreamer apps with their warnings are a good example. What David is doing is very helpful in any case. It's a good way of testing if everything is in order. It's just that a message isn't always an error message.
Adys

Post by Adys »

[OT]
gapan wrote:
Adys wrote:@gapan, please correct the "news" announcement to specify you are releasing a beta1 version. Both the "news" page and in the main page of the web site, the news item says "Salix 13.37 MATE" or something alike, but the title of the news item doesn't mention it is a beta1 release (as the title of this topic indeed says it is, as also in DW).
Thanks, done. Since over half a day ago actually. :mrgreen:
@gapan,
Yes. At the time I originally posted the request to add "beta1", it wasn't there. After some time, I saw it was eventually added. I immediately wanted to edit my original post and strike through the text (of the specific request) and write "Done, thanks". But the "strike through" BBcode

Code: Select all

[s]struck through text[/s]
was not recognized. I find this BBcode helpful in many situations, and phpBB has such BBcode available (and even a struck through "s" icon, usually added to the right side of the "underline" icon). I'd appreciate if you could allow this BBcode to be used here.
TIA.

[/OT]
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

I have added two new packages in the repositories, whaaw-thumbnailer-caja and ffmpegthumbnailer-caja, both doing the same job, creating thumbnails for video files in caja. whaaw-thumbnailer-caja is the one that is going to be installed by default, as whaawmp is going to be the default video player. You can use either one of course, but not both, the two packages conflict with each other. You will need to log out and log back in after installing for changes to take effect.
reyoutiao

Post by reyoutiao »

mimosa wrote:Incidentally I was just reading the review of Gnome 4 on Distrowatch (see the thread on the marriage of Salix and Slackware) and found the answer to a question: it's MATE as in two syllables, a sort of tea drunk in southern Brazil, Argentina and probably Uruguay and Paraguay too, and an excellent name - like China tea, the drink is refreshing in a gentle way.

This Spanish wikipedia page has full info, or click on the link to "English":

https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ilex_paraguariensis

If it were MATE as in chum, pal, etc., one syllable, it would be a pretty terrible name; but I think the green powder isn't that widely known outside the region, so I did wonder. Distrowatch says the MATE dev Perberos is Argentinian.
Some of the Chinese stuff really packs a kick, though!

I'm downloading the 64-bit beta now! Gnome 2/MATE is a welcome option. Thank you.
DavidMcCann

Post by DavidMcCann »

Whaaw wasn't being verbose: just explaining exactly why it couldn't to play the file. Naturally I installed the codecs (I did say that Parole worked) and then checked flv, wmv, and mp4 videos, with all failing to play.

Redundancies
Both the Gnome and Mate versions of the keyring daemon and ssh are set up.

Other problems
Mate seems to have inherited some Gnome bugs. I can't use xim and I've mentioned that at the Mate forum. Keyboard shortcuts using Super have to be set with the configuration tool because the shortcut program doesn't accept them; I haven't told them about that, but I shall. The panel's keyboard indicator can't show a British keyboard, because the flag has been named uk instead of gb. You can see I'm really having to scrape the barrel to find bugs!
Shador

Post by Shador »

DavidMcCann wrote:The panel's keyboard indicator can't show a British keyboard, because the flag has been named uk instead of gb.
That one's a bit weird though. The console keymap is actually named uk. But for some reason the xkb one is called gb. The icon is probably for xkb only so it's better uk or there should be a symlink to support both. But couldn't they have been more consistent when naming those keymaps. :roll: