Inactive forum users

thenktor
Salix Wizard

Inactive forum users

Post by thenktor »

At times we will delete forum users that have registered more than one month ago and still have a post count equal 0. These users often have website links in their profile and are considered as spammers.
We also might extend this to users with a post count of one, two or three.

We apologise for any inconvenience.
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
Adys

Re: Inactive forum users

Post by Adys »

thenktor wrote: We also might extend this to users with a post count of one, two or three.
Just wondering...

Some spammers post a seemingly valid post once, and when they receive some reply they come back to add some (spam) link to the same post. But here in this forum a new user can't add active links in its first few posts. Moreover, a new Salix user might want to ask something, and post again only when really needed, possibly after more than one month of the first post.

So, I understand why users with no posts at all after a month of their sign up are candidates for deletion, but I don't see the reason to include in the filter those users that post less-than-four posts in their first month.

Anyway, just wondering.
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

I agree
slack631

Post by slack631 »

I don't know about spammers, if you have a few spammers here and there, in this forum, you delete them.
Unfair to others who signed in, for some support.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Well, that was your third post in two or more years, which is three more than zero, so you are safe :)
pcbsd64

Post by pcbsd64 »

Go ahead and delete me as I am Tim CowChips's evil twin. I registered this user when running XFCE live to get help because in a panic I forgot my old user name.
Tim CowChip

Post by Tim CowChip »

Yes, go ahead and delete my evil twin.
ImageImage
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

Adys wrote:So, I understand why users with no posts at all after a month of their sign up are candidates for deletion, but I don't see the reason to include in the filter those users that post less-than-four posts in their first month.
Of course I'll check posts and profile page of a user before I'd delete him. Spammers find all ways of putting spam links somewhere (signature, their web site link, ...). That includes automatic posts, etc. So if there are users with a suspicious link in their profile and they even have only one post in half a year you know what I'll do.
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
pr0t0typee

Post by pr0t0typee »

Maybe you should create a Spanish forum...