Salix Xfce 14.0alpha1

laprjns
Salix Warrior

Re: Salix Xfce 14.0alpha1

Post by laprjns »

mimosa wrote: How did you fix it? ;)
I was having trouble with both lilosetup and liloconfig so I ended up editing a lilo.conf file that was generated by liloconf and running lilo -v -v.
When I originally created the 32 bit current installation by freshly installing 13.37 in a vacant partition and following the instructions on the wiki, I had a slightly different problem with lilo not liking the new kernel's name - fixed by upgrading to a more recent lilo. This must be the one that'll be used in 14.0: 23.? instead of 22.?
Yes it a problem with lilo 22.8 which can't handle the larger 3.X kernel images. If we want to use lilo to configure the boot loader with these large images, then we need to go to lilo 23. I recommend that lilo in 13.37 get upgraded to 23.
Using the current64 install disc, I chrooted into the troubled 64-bit installation and confirmed that mtdev and glibc-solibs are absent. These packages are mentioned in that wiki as being needed. Should I install them (by downloading the packages and chrooting again)?
I did a Basic install of 64 from a cd and both of these packages where installed, although I did need to install libgnome-keying to get it to boot into X. I submitted a bug ticket on that problem. On the cd, you can find the mtdev package in the Basic directory and the glibc-solibs in the core directory. I don't know why they were not installed on your system, but these are typical issues with alpha releases. You can install them from the disk.

It's also conceivably relevant that my new 64-bit processor is only single core. So this isn't the smp kernel. I must change the kernel in 13.37 too.[/quote]
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Regarding Gmountman, dbus-launch makes no difference.

I'm not sure what did it, but my x86_64 current seems to be OK again now. /etc/lilosetup.conf did indeed have the wrong kernel name, so that was probably it. 32-bit current seems fine too.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.

It may be that all that made me think there was a problem with i486 as well as x86_64 was the misbehaviour of gmountman, just after upgrading udev.
Andyun

Post by Andyun »

A problem with umount cd drive:

Code: Select all

use[~]$ simpleburn
umount: /dev/sr0 is not in the fstab (and you are not root)
Error: mount point /run/media/use/Parted Magic is not below /media/
eject: unmount of `/run/media/use/Parted Magic' failed
kill 2440 
/usr/bin/simpleburn-abort-operation: line 24: kill: (2440) - No such process

use[~]$ xfburn

(process:2462): GLib-WARNING **: goption.c:2179: ignoring no-arg, optional-arg or filename flags (8) on option of arg-type 0 in entry (null):version

(process:2462): GLib-WARNING **: goption.c:2179: ignoring no-arg, optional-arg or filename flags (8) on option of arg-type 0 in entry (null):main
** Message: Thunar-VFS not available, using default implementation

** (xfburn:2462): WARNING **: No drives were found! If this is in error, check the permissions

(xfburn:2462): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_action_set_sensitive: assertion `GTK_IS_ACTION (action)' failed
Brasero - ok, but in this program are still not saved the settings enable/disable modules (required "dconf").
maximus

Post by maximus »

After performing a basic install, upon logging in via gdm X crashes due to libgnome-keyring being missing. Manually installing the missing package fixes the issue.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Andyun wrote:A problem with umount cd drive:

Code: Select all

use[~]$ simpleburn
umount: /dev/sr0 is not in the fstab (and you are not root)
Error: mount point /run/media/use/Parted Magic is not below /media/
eject: unmount of `/run/media/use/Parted Magic' failed
kill 2440 
/usr/bin/simpleburn-abort-operation: line 24: kill: (2440) - No such process

use[~]$ xfburn

(process:2462): GLib-WARNING **: goption.c:2179: ignoring no-arg, optional-arg or filename flags (8) on option of arg-type 0 in entry (null):version

(process:2462): GLib-WARNING **: goption.c:2179: ignoring no-arg, optional-arg or filename flags (8) on option of arg-type 0 in entry (null):main
** Message: Thunar-VFS not available, using default implementation

** (xfburn:2462): WARNING **: No drives were found! If this is in error, check the permissions

(xfburn:2462): Gtk-CRITICAL **: IA__gtk_action_set_sensitive: assertion `GTK_IS_ACTION (action)' failed
Brasero - ok, but in this program are still not saved the settings enable/disable modules (required "dconf").
I don't know about simple burn, I believe it's unmaintained. Xfburn seems to work fine here. Bracero needs dconf to store preferences. I have packages ready, I just haven't found the time to upload them yet.
Andyun

Post by Andyun »

Xfburn (and SimpleBurn) can not access to the mounted cd drive (if manually mount in Thunar).
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Andyun wrote:Xfburn (and SimpleBurn) can not access to the mounted cd drive (if manually mount in Thunar).
That is not a problem. In fact, the error message is very explanatory.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

pysimpleconfig seems to be a dependency of salix-codecs-installer, but it wasn't installed in current.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

mimosa wrote:pysimpleconfig seems to be a dependency of salix-codecs-installer, but it wasn't installed in current.
Yep. Thanks.
witek

Post by witek »

I have a problem with caja:

I installed the alpha and upgraded to current. Then installed Mate desktop. I use XFCE desktop anyway but when I start caja for the first time it is OK. But when I run the second instance of caja it starts five or six instances of caja in XFCE
Last edited by witek on 24. Sep 2012, 13:54, edited 1 time in total.