Salix Xfce 14.0alpha1

Adys

Re: Salix Xfce 14.0alpha1

Post by Adys »

I originally downloaded the x32 variant, and the mkisofs command was replaced by the edition with isomaster made before the release. On such edited ISO image, there is a chance the isohybrid MBR or the ISOLINUX loader (isolinux.bin) won't work correctly, so please take this into consideration for future releases.

Then I downloaded the x64 ISO image. The mkisofs command line is correctly seen, and the isohybrid MBR is also there. Please avoid using mkisofs 3.01a07 to build the images. IMHO, it would be better to use an alternative version such as:
_ 3.00 stable;
_ 3.01a02 from Salix 13.37
_ 3.01a04 (before a regression bug was introduced)
_ 3.01a08 (with the regression bug solved 8-) )

(The additional alternative would be to patch the ISO image using an hex editor.)

More details: http://www.salixos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3823.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Adys wrote:I originally downloaded the x32 variant, and the mkisofs command was replaced by the edition with isomaster made before the release. On such edited ISO image, there is a chance the isohybrid MBR or the ISOLINUX loader (isolinux.bin) won't work correctly, so please take this into consideration for future releases.
As I already explained to you a couple of times, that was only a last minute edit which doesn't matter with an alpha release.
Adys wrote:Then I downloaded the x64 ISO image. The mkisofs command line is correctly seen, and the isohybrid MBR is also there. Please avoid using mkisofs 3.01a07 to build the images. IMHO, it would be better to use an alternative version such as:
_ 3.00 stable;
_ 3.01a02 from Salix 13.37
_ 3.01a04 (before a regression bug was introduced)
_ 3.01a08 (with the regression bug solved 8-) )

(The additional alternative would be to patch the ISO image using an hex editor.)

More details: http://www.salixos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=3823.
Please notify Pat Volkerding that the mkisofs he's providing is not OK.
Adys

Post by Adys »

gapan wrote:As I already explained to you a couple of times, that was only a last minute edit which doesn't matter with an alpha release.
My point was not about that particular isomaster edition (and it wasn't about that in that other topic either), so maybe I should had skipped that part of the post here.
Please notify Pat Volkerding that the mkisofs he's providing is not OK.
The important point about mkisofs 3.01a08 is that it solves an incompatibility with the basic standard (ECMA119) that was introduced in 3.01a05, and such ISO images can't be handled correctly by (popular) tools that strictly respect the standard. (Note: To be clear, I already know how to solve the problem manually. This request is not "for me".)

Since Slackware 14.0 RC2 is already out (and mostly in freeze), I was hoping that you (Salix Team members), with your experience and knowledge, would already know how to report this to Pat Volkerding in an effective and convincing manner, before 14.0 final. If you (Salix Team members) don't think that you have an advantage in this case (in comparison to me), then maybe someone can take the time to suggest how to contact Pat (I really have no idea) "in an effective and convincing manner, before 14.0 final" :?: .

TIA.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Adys wrote:If you (Salix Team members) don't think that you have an advantage in this case (in comparison to me),
We don't.
Adys wrote:then maybe someone can take the time to suggest how to contact Pat (I really have no idea) "in an effective and convincing manner, before 14.0 final" :?:
Try emailing him, hope that he reads your email and don't really expect a reply. If he doesn't reply and doen't fix it, we might consider upgrading to the newer version in Salix.
tnmarktx

Post by tnmarktx »

I may have found an issue. I can't seem to access any usb drives. Will not auto mount them.
Tim CowChip

Post by Tim CowChip »

gnome-mount is not installed. you can try pmount. it works for me.
ImageImage
tnmarktx

Post by tnmarktx »

I think that the XFCE volume daemon handles auto mounting and should work. But hey, this is an alpha. I'm sure it will be taken care of shortly. Some other minor problems I have encountered are, the codecs installer is not removed when you prompt it to be. Also the time appears to not be syncing with the servers. Other than that, it is working great.
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

tnmarktx wrote:... the codecs installer is not removed when you prompt it to be.
Confirmed here on a x86_64 install on Virtualbox. I ran it from the command line and it does look like spkg -d salix-codecs-installer is invoked but the package is not removed.
Also the time appears to not be syncing with the servers.
Yeah, looks like the stock slackware ntp package is installed. I'm sure this will be changed to the salix package soon. For now, just uncomment the "server pool.ntp.org iburst" line in /etc/ntp.conf
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
tnmarktx

Post by tnmarktx »

Thanks, uncommented the line you said out fixed the time sync. Have you had problems with drives not automounting?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

tnmarktx wrote:I may have found an issue. I can't seem to access any usb drives. Will not auto mount them.
Thanks for the report. The udisks package is missing from the installation. If you install it, it should work.