Re: Salix Xfce 14.0alpha1

Post by gapan »

mimosa wrote:Somewhat off-topic, try running /root/.xinitrc :twisted:
It's time somebody noticed. :twisted:
dias75

Post by dias75 »

I'm sorry, I do not speak English.
Font rendering in Ubuntu perfectly. Because packages ubuntu comes already have patches.
In Austrumi font rendering too good. He's perfect.
Can developers make the same in Salix? Many users were, would be happy. This is a very big request ! :)
Andyun

Post by Andyun »

mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I'm not sure whether this is unexpected or needs reporting at this stage, but Gmountman isn't working:

Code: Select all

chocolate[~]$ gmountman

** (process:17873): WARNING **: Trying to register gtype 'GMountMountFlags' as enum when in fact it is of type 'GFlags'

** (process:17873): WARNING **: Trying to register gtype 'GDriveStartFlags' as enum when in fact it is of type 'GFlags'

** (process:17873): WARNING **: Trying to register gtype 'GSocketMsgFlags' as enum when in fact it is of type 'GFlags'

(gmountman:17873): GVFS-RemoteVolumeMonitor-WARNING **: remote volume monitor with dbus name org.gtk.Private.UDisks2VolumeMonitor is not supported
dias75

Post by dias75 »

cairo.. libXft... They also require a patch ...
------------------
I wrote my comments are not here to seek a solution. I just wonder what the developers stubbornly refuse to improve font rendering.
We all want to have a lot of users Salix. But terrible font rendering does not promote.
Developers do Austrumi font rendering is perfect. Why Salix-developers do not want to do this?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

mimosa wrote:I'm not sure whether this is unexpected or needs reporting at this stage, but Gmountman isn't working
Do you have udisks2 installed? If you do, under what DE are you launching it? Also, try launching it with dbus-launch.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I just tried it in 64 bits and the behaviour was slightly different - it only sees fd0 (no floppy in this box). udisks2 is present and correct. This is a fresh install and I have just upgraded everything (except the kernel packages).

Both this and the 32-bit install are xfce, and I have deliberately done very little. I just missed gmountman and thought it would do no harm to install it.

The 32-bit current has the latest kernel packages, and I thought that might have something to do with it. Or could it be udev?

Should we be upgrading udev? I have been, but won't for now in this (64-bit) install.

The wallpaper's looking very good, by the way - I hadn't seen it before. I like the organic feel of the curves.
Last edited by mimosa on 1. Sep 2012, 14:55, edited 1 time in total.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I'm afraid I've got in a pickle with my new 64-bit install. I assumed this wouldn't require such careful handling as the original upgrade from 13.37.

I have the same problem I had then of no keyboard or mouse after

1) doing a general upgrade
2) installing alpine and gmountman
3) upgrading the kernel packages (but not udev)

This time I have no keyboard in runlevel 3 or single user mode either.

Also:

Code: Select all

root[vanilla]# chroot /media/disk
chroot: failed to run command `/bin/bash': Exec format error
EDIT
Just realised this is because you can't chroot into 64 bits from 32 bits. I'll see what I can do using the install CD as a rescue disk. (I ended up burning one :()

Perhaps simplest just to reinstall. But then how should I go about upgrading (and what should I leave alone)?
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

mimosa wrote: This time I have no keyboard in runlevel 3 or single user mode either.
This is a problem with how lilo was installed after the kernel update. I had this problem all last weekend.
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

How did you fix it? ;)

I should mention that I didn't run lilo from the installer. I used lilosetup from my normal working installation. When I originally created the 32 bit current installation by freshly installing 13.37 in a vacant partition and following the instructions on the wiki, I had a slightly different problem with lilo not liking the new kernel's name - fixed by upgrading to a more recent lilo. This must be the one that'll be used in 14.0: 23.? instead of 22.?

Using the current64 install disc, I chrooted into the troubled 64-bit installation and confirmed that mtdev and glibc-solibs are absent. These packages are mentioned in that wiki as being needed. Should I install them (by downloading the packages and chrooting again)?

It's also conceivably relevant that my new 64-bit processor is only single core. So this isn't the smp kernel. I must change the kernel in 13.37 too.