Salix Xfce 14.0alpha1

JRD
Salix Warrior

Re: Salix Xfce 14.0alpha1

Post by JRD »

Only for packagers. It could be that some software depends on the kernel, so this is why I recommand upgrade it...but only for packagers. And not need to remove the excludes, you could install them with slapt-get
trickyhero

Post by trickyhero »

I don't know if you already know this but unetbootin dosn't work with this iso. Also dd didn't work on a usb I tried: it said it was "missing isobin or corrupted". I installed it on a computer with a CD drive and it worked though :)
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Thanks JRD, I'll bear that in mind. I hope to do some packaging this coming week (after becoming distracted with dependency ... purgatory ;)).
Tim CowChip

Post by Tim CowChip »

JRD wrote:And not need to remove the excludes, you could install them with slapt-get
Removing the excludes is how I will be keeping informed of new kernel releases via the salix-update-notifier.
ImageImage
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

Tim CowChip wrote:Removing the excludes is how I will be keeping informed of new kernel releases via the salix-update-notifier.
Actually that will not keep you informed, it will just update all the packages, possibly without you noticing it. Keeping the exclusions will inform you that there are packages considered to be critical for update and lets you decide if they should be or not. Here's an example after doing a slapt-get --upg:

Code: Select all

root[rich]# slapt-get --upg
Reading Package Lists...Done
The following packages have been EXCLUDED:
  aaa_base kernel-headers kernel-huge kernel-modules kernel-source udev 
0 upgraded, 0 reinstalled, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove, 6 not upgraded.
This tells me that there are six packages available that have been excluded from automatic upgrades ( presumably because upgrading them could have detrimental effects on my system). Now I can make a considered decision to upgrade these or not. In this case I will update 5 of the packages:

root[rich]# slapt-get -i kernel-headers kernel-huge kernel-modules kernel-source udev
Reading Package Lists...Done
The following packages will be upgraded:
  kernel-headers kernel-huge kernel-modules kernel-source udev 
5 upgraded, 0 reinstalled, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove, 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 93.9MB of archives.
After unpacking 48.7MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [y/N] y
So, I recommend that you keep the exclusions and review all updates to excluded packages as they become available and upgrade only after careful consideration.
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
Tim CowChip

Post by Tim CowChip »

laprjns wrote:
Tim CowChip wrote:Removing the excludes is how I will be keeping informed of new kernel releases via the salix-update-notifier.
Actually that will not keep you informed, it will just update all the packages, possibly without you noticing it. Keeping the exclusions will inform you that there are packages considered to be critical for update and lets you decide if they should be or not.
The salix-update-notifier uses a popup notification for packages that have a newer version in the repository and are not in the excluded list. This is what I mean by "how I keep informed".

I have 2 Salix installs and 3rd OS for everyday use of my computer and with all the rebooting I do, I like the notification popup. It lets me know right away if there's a new package that I need to install.

If kernels need to be updated for package building purposes, then I won't be installing them by accident. I will install them intentionally and they do not need to be excluded in gslapt.
ImageImage
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Is rootuser-settings a package one should upgrade, or leave well alone?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

mimosa wrote:Is rootuser-settings a package one should upgrade, or leave well alone?
Read the package descrption. ;)
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I can do even better than that. Those settings are:

vanilla[~]$ tar -xvf rootuser-settings-13.37-noarch-2gv.txz 
[...]
root/.vim/
root/.vim/colors/
root/.vim/colors/xemacs.vim
root/.bashrc
root/.elvisrc
root/.nanorc
root/.screenrc
root/.vimrc
root/.xinitrc
root/.Xresources
root/.gtkrc-2.0
So no harm in "upgrading" it as far as packaging's concerned, but no need and no benefit.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Somewhat off-topic, try running /root/.xinitrc :twisted: