Salix Xfce 14.0RC1

mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: Salix Xfce 14.0RC1

Post by mimosa »

Thanks laprjns. I think light is beginning to dawn. I suppose this is one of the reasons Akuna created lilosetup - not just to have a user-friendly GUI.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Solving the problem with wicd was as simple as putting 'wlan0' in the Wireless interface box under Preferences/General.

The Wired box is also empty.

This problem didn't occur in the 64-bit RC1 - presumably wicd has its usual defaults of wlan0 and eth0 there. I know those aren't always right, but they usually are, and it's then one less hoop to traverse: part of wicd's charm.

No further crashes with Midori so far, so maybe that was just a one-off. Midori's ad blocking is easy to set, and appears to be effective: click on the spanner icon at top right, then go to Preferences/Extensions
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Isn't Gmountman going to be included as standard? It's not in the System menu.

EDIT

Gmountman in x86_64 isn't working (I don't think I tested it in i486). I reported this back at the beginning of September on the alpha thread, which is some time ago, so it seems worth repeating.
Atip

Post by Atip »

Having a music CD mounted and clicking in File Manager on file.wav in Audio Disk > Open With "Parole" I get error:
GStreamer backend error
No URI handler implemented for "cdda".
witek

Post by witek »

I have problems with sound which is not working after installation. I had to manually generate .asoundrc in order to make it work.
Atip

Post by Atip »

Atip wrote:Having a music CD mounted and clicking in File Manager on file.wav in Audio Disk > Open With "Parole" I get error:
GStreamer backend error
Installed xine and no such problem. File.wav opens and plays with xine the same way where parole fails.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

mimosa wrote:Gmountman in x86_64 isn't working (I don't think I tested it in i486). I reported this back at the beginning of September on the alpha thread, which is some time ago, so it seems worth repeating.
How is it not working?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Atip wrote:Having a music CD mounted and clicking in File Manager on file.wav in Audio Disk > Open With "Parole" I get error:
GStreamer backend error
Don't open audio CDs like that. Open parole and from the File menu select the option to play them.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

How is it not working?
Sorry to be uninformative. As far as I remember, much as when I posted about this back in September - it only sees fd0 (which doesn't exist).

However, I just tried again, and it seems to be absolutely fine. I'll post again if I can get it to misbehave. Maybe an upgrade fixed it - I can't remember when I last did, or whether I remembered to do so before installing Gmountman in this pristine RC1 install.

A new problem: I just failed to run Libre Writer in x86_64. My first attempt from the menu produced a green box that never went away; then I tried it from the command line and got no response at all. htop showed no Libre-looking processes.

Maybe I didn't wait long enough before trying to call it from the console.

I then logged out and in again, and called it from the terminal again. No output, nothing, but now htop shows two identical processes:

Code: Select all

/usr/lib64/libroffice3.6/program/soffice.bin --writer
Killing the terminal doesn't make them go away. They both claim to be using around 95% of CPU, so at least one must be a ghost.
When I boot back into this installation, is there anything in particular you'd like me to try?

EDIT When I clicked "Submit", the system crashed. I'm pleasantly surprised to see it sent my post off first, so no need to retype!
toothandnail

Post by toothandnail »

Installed the 64-bit version to my Lenovo T400. Everything seems pretty good so far, though I had to do a bit of building - can't do without Conky and Wbar....

So far (only been installed for 30 minutes or so) the only problem I've hit is that Cups doesn't autodetect my printer. To be honest, I can't recall whether the earlier version of Salix did or not. Printer is a Brother HL-5050 mono postscript, hung off an old Amahi server, shared as a Samba printer.

Midori will take a bit of getting used to, but I quite like it so far. Have to find out whether it will save passwords or not - didn't off when I logged into the forum.

Paul.