Salix Xfce 14.0RC2

mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: Salix Xfce 14.0RC2

Post by mimosa »

vlc is now fine. Parole seems a bit better behaved this morning (no green screen, but jerky at times, and unresponsive to commands such as Ctrl-Q once it has started playing; no sound I think for the DVD). Removing ugly plugins didn't really seem to help.

If a precise report of behaviour with and without the plugins would be useful, I would be glad to do some systematic tests.

This is all in i486, but I also have the 64 bit RC2, and again, I'd be happy to do any tests needed. The 32-bit RC is where I'm actually doing my day-to-day stuff now, so the x86_64 environment is probably much cleaner (no xmonad, for instance).
sojurn

Post by sojurn »

gapan wrote:Please help with testing this release candidate so we can be sure there are no remaining bugs for the final release. You can download either through Sourceforge or using a torrent client.

Thanks for testing!
I thought I'd do my part and run this through on my hardware since it is a bit older (Esprimo P5600 w/ a GeForce 9400GT, also have an oldish Dell D610 laptop I could test). The 14.0 RC2 installation on the PC seems fine, also the boot text on starting up the installed system, but unfortunately it freezes on the desktop, just displays colorful garbage. Should this work first of all, and if not, then do I have to remove and blacklist the nouveau driver or something? I've never had to do this before since Mate, Xfce, and LXDE all install fine on my PC in the 13.37 versions.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

sojurn wrote:I thought I'd do my part and run this through on my hardware since it is a bit older (Esprimo P5600 w/ a GeForce 9400GT, also have an oldish Dell D610 laptop I could test). The 14.0 RC2 installation on the PC seems fine, also the boot text on starting up the installed system, but unfortunately it freezes on the desktop, just displays colorful garbage. Should this work first of all, and if not, then do I have to remove and blacklist the nouveau driver or something? I've never had to do this before since Mate, Xfce, and LXDE all install fine on my PC in the 13.37 versions.
Try this:

on the LILO prompt, press the TAB key on your keyboard and type: Linux 3

Code: Select all

slapt-get -u
slapt-get -i xf86-video-nouveau-blacklist-noarch-1
reboot
that should blacklist the nouveau driver.
sojurn

Post by sojurn »

gapan wrote:...that should blacklist the nouveau driver.
Thanks for the quick response, it worked perfect. I updated again in gslapt, excluded the nouveau driver, and then upgraded, installed codecs. And now I am just looking around, since xfce is larger than my lxde system and there are also programs I don't know. I don't recall installing a proprietary nvidia driver in lxde, I think everything just worked and I left it at that (so the nv driver on both?).

I tried Parole first, since I see it mentioned in the thread, got an error: "GStreamer backend error: Configured videosink video is not working". I unchecked the xv video output in parole and then it played a variety of video formats.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

sojurn wrote:Thanks for the quick response, it worked perfect. I updated again in gslapt, excluded the nouveau driver, and then upgraded, installed codecs. And now I am just looking around, since xfce is larger than my lxde system and there are also programs I don't know. I don't recall installing a proprietary nvidia driver in lxde, I think everything just worked and I left it at that (so the nv driver on both?).
I don't really remember right now if nouveau was the default in 13.37 or if nv was used instead. Not having an nvidia card doesn't help in that respect. It could also be that the nouveau version in 14.0 has a specific issue with your graphics card. I wouldn't know.
sojurn

Post by sojurn »

gapan wrote:I don't really remember right now if nouveau was the default in 13.37 or if nv was used instead. Not having an nvidia card doesn't help in that respect. It could also be that the nouveau version in 14.0 has a specific issue with your graphics card. I wouldn't know.
I checked and my 13.37 system has both nouveau (8bb82312-i486-1) and nv (2.1.18-i486-1) installed, and with the blacklist not installed I assume it is using the nouveau driver. I installed xine in the meantime in 14.0 and it plays all formats, also with xv enabled, but is jerky and eventually gives a message that it is having to drop too many frames. And there are also smaller problems, the video is just not working well out of the box. So I don't know. I downloaded the proprietary install (run) file for my card from nVidia and I guess I could install that. Just to see what would happen I installed the 13.37 nouveau driver in 14.0 but just had a screen with less maximum resolution and the same trouble with dropped frames. This kind of caught me by surprise, probably because I didn't have to do anything special with my present system.

When parole says "GStreamer backend error: Configured videosink video is not working" when xv is enabled how does that fit into the picture? Maybe with the nouveau driver blacklisted, the fallback nv driver is not able to handle it?

gapan: It would be nice to have the nouveau driver (it seems it should work), so I'll do some further checking on that, otherwise I'll see about installing the proprietary driver. If anyone else has a nvidia card and an idea I'm all ears.
Last edited by sojurn on 21. Nov 2012, 13:02, edited 1 time in total.
Jonny

Post by Jonny »

Just to update you, I reinstalled RC2 on my system and the instability issues are now gone(?!?).

One thing that I noticed is that CPU speed seems slow, getting info returns this:

Code: Select all

user[~]$ cpufreq-info 
cpufrequtils 008: cpufreq-info (C) Dominik Brodowski 2004-2009
Report errors and bugs to cpufreq@vger.kernel.org, please.
analyzing CPU 0:
  no or unknown cpufreq driver is active on this CPU
  maximum transition latency: 0.00 ms.
Also, is it advisable to perform a "slapt-get --dist-upgrade"? I see there are several excluded packages.

SalixOS is now my distro of choice - thank you very much to everyone involved!
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Jonny wrote:One thing that I noticed is that CPU speed seems slow, getting info returns this:
The output you're providing has nothing to do with cpu speed.
Jonny wrote:Also, is it advisable to perform a "slapt-get --dist-upgrade"?
NO!
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

RC3 released, please continue any discussion in that thread:

http://www.salixos.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 135#p27239