LiloSetup development needs testing (and translating)

Akuna
Salix Wizard

LiloSetup development needs testing (and translating)

Post by Akuna »

Download link: http://salix.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc ... z?view=tar

Important: os-prober is a dependency of lilosetup!
'slapt-get -i os-prober' if necessary.

After opening the archive, you can create a simple package with the help of the maketxz.sh script, or even simply cd to the src directory & execute ./lilosetup.py as root.

LiloSetup is a tool primarily developed to complete Salix-live-installer for SalixLive but it can now also be used in a non-live environment & should come in handy for configuring multiple boot setup.

Even though it still needs a bit of work to fully recognize & automatically configure multiple boot scheme & kernel configuration from diverse distros, it is already quite functional, & should already enable you to configure multi boot for various distros spread on various partitions or even multiple kernels within the same partition.

If some distros boot options are not auto-configured correctly (which is more than likely at this early stage) you will have to edit lilosetup.conf file manually (through the 'Edit configuration file' button). If so, please post the needed corrections so that I can try to include them in the auto-configuration process.

Any other suggestions, remarks, and corrections concerning any aspects of LiloSetup are more than welcome.

Also anyone wanting to help with LiloSetup translation can apply in this thread as well & I'll contact you as soon as the translation process will be ready to start.

Thanks for your help with testing & developing this tool.
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
damNageHack

Re: LiloSetup development needs testing

Post by damNageHack »

Nice idea. I installed here grub2 and am very struggled with that really bad (automatic) sorting of kernels by their version strings in the names. My opinion is also that the order of kernels must be manually and easily changable.

I quickly looked over the python source in sourceforge svn.

There is some potential to optimize the code by implementing some things more abstractically. Maybe I find the time to make a suggestion for that :)
This is the oppinion of the author, it does not force you to share and is signed automatically.
You are free to keep them all errors for your own. Linux is the best game I ever played.
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

LiloSetup is pretty much ready. If you want to help translate it in your own language, the simplest is to download the following file: http://salix.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc ... osetup.pot

Then launch Poedit (which you can get from the repo with slapt-get/gslapt) and from the menu chose, File/New catalog from a pot file & point to the downloaded lilosetup file. Should be pretty simple from then on.

Once you are finished with your translation, save your po file with your locale as prefix (fr.po if you are French, de.po if you are German & so on) & send it to me or else post the link to it below.

So far the languages already taken care of are:
English
French
German
Greek

Thank you very much.
Duncan_Idaho

Post by Duncan_Idaho »

I'll do the spanish one :P
damNageHack

Post by damNageHack »

I have no problem with some english texts in this little gui. But I can imagine that maybe an only german speaking newbie interested in Salix (how many are there on this world?) has some problems. :?
This is the oppinion of the author, it does not force you to share and is signed automatically.
You are free to keep them all errors for your own. Linux is the best game I ever played.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

damNageHack wrote:I have no problem with some english texts in this little gui. But I can imagine that maybe an only german speaking newbie interested in Salix (how many are there on this world?) has some problems. :?
Thanks for sharing your preference. However, we would like to offer internationalized apps in as many languages as we can and it has nothing to do with characterizing other people newbies or h4x0rz. Feel free to contribute or at least keep your posts at a useful level.
damNageHack

Post by damNageHack »

What is h4x0rz? :roll: Keep 8-). Just kidding.

Let's come back to topic. I will look for time to contribute some german translations, no problem. I can really understand that LiloSetup should be a tool for all languages and now, this is no kidding any more ;) .
damNageHack

Post by damNageHack »

damNageHack wrote:I will look for time to contribute some german translations
Half done :)

Please keep attention, a beta release of de.po will come soon.
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

New version with simplified new gui:

Attention:
Last Sunday (any of the builds : 20091002) I added some buggy code that could potentially erase your empty /proc directory from some of your other partitions. If you did test one of last Sunday svn versions, please verify that this didn't happen to you or else you will not be able to properly boot into these other partitions. The fix thankfully is to simply recreate the eventual missing /proc directory. (This does not affect systems with only one Linux booting partition even if its file system is spread on a few partitions).

I am sorry for any trouble this may has caused anyone and thankfully, so far no one has reported being affected. However this comes to show that LiloSetup is still at an experimental stage & should not be tested on production system.

If after this you are still not scared & want to help test it, the download link & instructions for the new version is unchanged from above.

Thanks for your feedback & test reports.

Reminder:
os-prober is a needed dependecy
damNageHack

Post by damNageHack »

Akuna wrote:New version with simplified new gui:
Then there are some changes to .po files too? Maybe translators should get also notice about this :?: I am working on the german file ...
Akuna wrote: Attention:
Last Sunday (any of the builds : 20091002) I added some buggy code that could potentially erase your empty /proc directory from some of your other partitions.
:? I wonder how such a thing could happen, users (but maybe not you and me, who know what they are doing) should be carefull in using root rights all the time (use of fakreoot instead) ... ;)