Salix Openbox 14.0beta2

sqlpython
Donor

Re: Salix Openbox 14.0beta2

Post by sqlpython »

^ I am using the Xfce Salix 14 for a number of months and really like it.
If your aim is to do an in depth Salix 14 review and your Editor can wait you might wait until Salix has some further DE releases of 14.. Might give a more complete picture.
Slackware ( Manjaro ) Salix, AntiX, Bunsen, Calculate
gaucho
Donor

Post by gaucho »

This weekend, I installed the Openbox beta on a spare partition. I have no previous experience with a window manager like Openbox, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I'd read that Openbox is very bare/sparse and that it required lots of manual editing of configuration files. But I was surprised to see that this isn't the case with the Salix OS version -- almost everything is set up for the user out of the box. It was fast and easy to start using it.

One thing I struggled with was figuring out how to change the wallpaper ... I tried using Nitrogen, then feh, but they didn't work as anticipated (or else I was doing something totally wrong). I discovered that it can be configured through the SpaceFM file manager:

Go to View > Preferences > then click on the Desktop tab, and you should see something like this:

ImageUploaded with ImageShack.com

The default location of the wallpapers is: /usr/share/xfce4/backdrops

So far, everything is running smoothly on my system. I'll keep testing and report back if I find any problems. I don't think I'm ready to abandon Xfce, but Openbox is a very interesting alternative.

Thank you for your work on this, gapan and djemos! :)
Registered Linux User # 442201

Dell Latitude E4300 laptop: Intel Core2 Duo P9400 CPU, 8 GB RAM, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, Intel Wireless 7260
user_111

Post by user_111 »

I have received in Salix Openbox 14.0beta2 and Slackel Openbox 5.0 several times one and the same error

Incorrect exit channel menu "usr/bin/openbox-menu /etcxdg/menus/lxde-applications.menu"

djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

This happen the first time you right click on desktop and put the mouse cursor on All apps. I don't have this problem on slackel.0 openbox.
Second users see fbpanel and manage their system from there where all are working fine.
I do not know why this happen on first time, to solve this behavior.
In ~/.config/openbox/menu.xml on line 51 there is

Code: Select all

<menu execute="/usr/bin/openbox-menu /etc/xdg/menus/lxde-applications.menu" id="xdg-app-menu" 
which is correct.
Execute this command on a terminal. No error displayed.

Code: Select all

/usr/bin/openbox-menu /etc/xdg/menus/lxde-applications.menu
user_111

Post by user_111 »

djemos wrote:This happen the first time you right click on desktop and put the mouse cursor on All apps.
The error was when I pressed the button "Exit" after right click on desktop.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

After press the button a window appear having buttons like "reboot" shutdown" "log out"etc
Maybe system was working updating menus so the message appeared. I cannot reproduce it here. No such behavior.