Salix KDE 14.0RC1

gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Salix KDE 14.0RC1

Post by gapan »

I finally found some time to test this. I only tested the 32bit iso in BASIC mode for now. Here are my notes:

* I personally don't think that the huge.s kernel should be included in KDE, since it was not included in Xfce either. Not including it will also make the iso a lot smaller. Maybe not below the 700MB CD size limit, but still... Maybe we need to discuss this.
* Which are the package lists that you are using? Are they up to date in the git repo? https://github.com/gapan/iso-creation
* Why is gtk+3 included?
* The KDM background is wrong. You should use the darker version of the image, the same that is used in GDM. If you have gdm installed, you have it in /usr/share/gdm/themes/Shine/background.png Otherwise look for it in the gdm directory in the source repo.
* When installed in BASIC mode, the desktop panel doesn't have a clock. Or a tray.
* The default search engine in qupzilla is Google. It should be DuckDuckGo. qupzilla needs to be patched for this I guess.
* Why is there an /etc/skel/.qupzilla directory? What is it needed for? All customization should be done in the package as far as possible, not in the user profile.
* The /etc/skel/.xinitrc and /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.kde files are not the same! Which one is the right one?
* What is libsndfile needed for in BASIC mode? It is missing flac as a dependency. But as far as I can see libsndfile is not needed by anything in BASIC mode.
* libsoup is a missing dependency of webkit in BASIC
djemos
Salix Warrior

Re: Salix KDE 14.0RC1

Post by djemos »

gapan wrote:I finally found some time to test this. I only tested the 32bit iso in BASIC mode for now. Here are my notes:

* I personally don't think that the huge.s kernel should be included in KDE, since it was not included in Xfce either. Not including it will also make the iso a lot smaller. Maybe not below the 700MB CD size limit, but still... Maybe we need to discuss this.
since KDE iso is over 700MB, i thought that is useful to have both kernels so users with (having memory of cource) can install kde on old pc's. Also, openbox has both kernels and can fit on a 700MB cd.
huge.s kernel removed from Xfce since that way iso could fit on 700MB cd. If you think we have to remove it then it is ok.
* Which are the package lists that you are using? Are they up to date in the git repo? https://github.com/gapan/iso-creation
No they are not up to date on git repo. package lists corrected and are here http://people.salixos.org/djemos/salix/lists-kde/
Please put them on git.
* Why is gtk+3 included?
gtk+3 is a dep for ibus which is on FULL list. gtk+3 mooved to FULL list.
* The KDM background is wrong. You should use the darker version of the image, the same that is used in GDM. If you have gdm installed, you have it in /usr/share/gdm/themes/Shine/background.png Otherwise look for it in the gdm directory in the source repo.
I did not even noticed that kdm background image is darker than desktop image. kdm background replaced with darker version of the image. salix-kdm-theme package rebuild. It is on package submissions.
* When installed in BASIC mode, the desktop panel doesn't have a clock. Or a tray.
I make a new installation on virtualbox. The desktop panel has a clock. Just can't see it on virtualbox. Just right click with mouse on panel and click on unlock-widgets. Then right click again and click on panel-options->panel-settings
Then you see a slider on the middle move it to appear and ajust the panel. Clock and everything will appear on the right. It happens only on virtual box which is set in small default resolution on lilo installation. No problem on a real installation.
* The default search engine in qupzilla is Google. It should be DuckDuckGo. qupzilla needs to be patched for this I guess.
* Why is there an /etc/skel/.qupzilla directory? What is it needed for? All customization should be done in the package as far as possible, not in the user profile.
* The /etc/skel/.xinitrc and /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.kde files are not the same! Which one is the right one?
since duckduckgo is the default engine ~/.qupzilla is not needed. Remove ~/.qupzilla and run qupzilla again show duck as default engine. qupzilla is already patched.
/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.kde is the correct file. The old .xinitrc was in 13.37 kde. This file is part of kde-workspace. So user-settings-kde package rebuild. It is on package submissions.
* What is libsndfile needed for in BASIC mode? It is missing flac as a dependency. But as far as I can see libsndfile is not needed by anything in BASIC mode.
libsndfile mooved to FULL list
* libsoup is a missing dependency of webkit in BASIC
libsoup added on BASIC list. After installing in basic mode and installed with slapt-get -i libsoup, libgnome-keyring installed also as a dep for libsoup. So libgnome-keyring added also to BASIC list.

Also, package pysmbc is on package submissions. It is included in basic list. And has to be uploaded to repos. It is very useful for users to easy install printers. It finds printers on network.
It is useful for all salix editions.

Thanks gapan, found all these, so salix kde will be even better.