In case it is useful for anyone. Salix 14.0 Live XFCE beta1

ikke

Re: In case it is useful for anyone. Salix 14.0 Live XFCE be

Post by ikke »

djemos wrote:I am working on Salix 14.0.1 Live XFCE and Salix 14.0.1 Live KDE versions. So when it is ready will be out.
Thank you for info.

Looking forward to ...
jsalpha2

Post by jsalpha2 »

Salix Live XFCE 14.0 beta1(64 bit) I tried burning this (from djemos's link) (Nero slow speed from within Windows) but it hangs during boot. MD5 checked out.
(initrd.xz has been replaced with a new one)
I did not download"initrd for 64 bits PXE booting (6,6 MB) — MD5 checksum: 5b86abfc1d57f0ee71ce16e185b7828c" (not a USB install.) Should I have? It hangs shortly after the four penguins. Picture from digital camera, sorry. I'm guessing a video card problem, NVidia GT630. Any ideas?

Elias

Post by Elias »

jsalpha2 wrote:Salix Live XFCE 14.0 beta1(64 bit) I tried burning this (from djemos's link) (Nero slow speed from within Windows) but it hangs during boot. MD5 checked out.
(initrd.xz has been replaced with a new one)
I did not download"initrd for 64 bits PXE booting (6,6 MB) — MD5 checksum: 5b86abfc1d57f0ee71ce16e185b7828c" (not a USB install.) Should I have? It hangs shortly after the four penguins. Picture from digital camera, sorry. I'm guessing a video card problem, NVidia GT630. Any ideas?

may be issue in nouveau driver. try the parameter nomodeset at boot. see if that resolves the problem. :D
jsalpha2

Post by jsalpha2 »

Thanks, the nomodeset works. I'm guessing that on a real install, after loading the drivers, the problem will be gone.
Elias

Post by Elias »

jsalpha2 wrote:Thanks, the nomodeset works. I'm guessing that on a real install, after loading the drivers, the problem will be gone.
thank you for having helped you.
jsalpha2

Post by jsalpha2 »

Just tried the Salix Live XFCE 14.0 beta2(64 bit). Installed to USB from Windows by extracting ISO to USB and running the install command. Then I added persistence from the desktop icon. Very nice and easy. Everything worked. :( Maybe I spoke to soon. Opened GSlapt and ran updates. Now my USB mouse doesn't work.

Started over, did it all again. After updating, broken again. Will try again tomorrow, just not going to update.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

jsalpha2 wrote:Just tried the Salix Live XFCE 14.0 beta2(64 bit). Installed to USB from Windows by extracting ISO to USB and running the install command. Then I added persistence from the desktop icon. Very nice and easy. Everything worked. :( Maybe I spoke to soon. Opened GSlapt and ran updates. Now my USB mouse doesn't work.

Started over, did it all again. After updating, broken again. Will try again tomorrow, just not going to update.
What is the size of persistence file and in what filesystem is formatted.
If you just pick up the default 512MB then you cannot do much with it after installed some programs.
For xfce live, the size of the persistence file it is good to be 1000 MB or better 2000 MB. For kde live i suggest to choose the maximum size 4000MB
Maximum size is 4000MB (Do not go over 4095) and choose to format it in xfs. If you have space on USB then use 4000 MB.
Next reboot so system can mount and use persistence file.
I have never had problems with persistence.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

This happened to me too (though persistence was at least 2GB). I had persistence on a hard disk partition and then moved it to another one; I assumed that was what had caused the problem. When I created a new persistent file on the USB stick itself, all was ok. However, I didn't test much more.

I'll try with KDE as soon as I get time to put it on the stick! Downloaded for both $ARCH and seeding :)
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

mimosa wrote:This happened to me too (though persistence was at least 2GB). I had persistence on a hard disk partition and then moved it to another one; I assumed that was what had caused the problem. When I created a new persistent file on the USB stick itself, all was ok. However, I didn't test much more.

I'll try with KDE as soon as I get time to put it on the stick! Downloaded for both $ARCH and seeding :)
It depends on how many packages will install. I suppose if persistence is getting almost full then problems can happen. Of cource always can remove packages from persistence to have more free space on it.