Salix Live XFCE 14.0.1 beta2

djemos
Salix Warrior

Salix Live XFCE 14.0.1 beta2

Post by djemos »

And here it is Salix Live Xfce 14.0.1 beta2
I want to thank all salix developers and packagers including the veterans. Their work
is still very helpful for Salix. Thank you all.
Many Thanks to Akuna and Fredg.

This version is build using SaLT (not the recent version which is under development but a previous one with some parts of development version) developed in house by JRD in order to
build Live CDs in a more dynamic fashion with very little modifications from the host system.

livekernel is 3.2.45

This includes the same applications and packages as the regular Salix Xfce 14.0.1, 32 or 64 bits, with the following additions:
isomaster, for managing ISO files;
gparted, for managing partitions;
grub2-1.99 for a beautiful boot menu and options;
lilosetup, to repair a failed lilo boot setup;

liveclone 0.12.14.0, for creating your own custom live CD/USB;
liveclone has been updated to work with new SaLT.
persistence-wizard, for creating a persistence file in order to keep changes upon reboot in the live environment;
remmina, for connecting to RDP server (like Windows or VirtualBox 4+), VNC server, NX server, SSH/SCP;
salix-live-installer 0.4.2 for installing Salix on a hard disk.
xorriso is used to make the live iso. Liveiso is hybrid. You can use dd method or install-on-USB or liveclone to create a live usb.

The default root password is live
You don't need a password for the regular and auto-logged in user one

You can download iso files from the following links:

Salix Live XFCE 14.0.1 beta2 (32 bit)
32 bits ISO (759 MB) — MD5 checksum: 7ee6dee52c54036caaaee28b4f62042b
Sourceforge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/f ... o/download
initrd for 32 bits PXE booting (6,4 MB): — MD5 checksum: a22657d8efa2d99c21785661a4b84208
Sourceforge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/f ... z/download

Salix Live XFCE 14.0.1 beta2 (64 bit)
64 bits ISO (776 MB) — MD5 checksum: 613311ab30daf415643e03e2d108a3c7
Sourceforge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/f ... o/download
initrd for 64 bits PXE booting (6,6 MB) — MD5 checksum: 794408cdcb0c5be32f60656af8ae1b36
Sourceforge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/f ... z/download

You can consult the Startup Guide for more information on Salix and Salix Live.

If you want to boot Salix Live through USB, please consult this documentation.

Note: For those who experience some display problem during the boot process you can try adding the following cheatcode with this procedure:
Reboot
At the Grub launch menu, go to Change boot options.
Select Custom linux kernel parameters
Enter nomodeset
Go back to the launch screen and boot

Please test the installer on a virtualbox as also in a real installation.
Also test install_on_usb and liveclone

Thanks for testing.

Salix 14.0.1 KDE Live iso's are also ready, tested and i have just to upload when i have time and a fast connection. (I am far away from home, so just wait for them also)
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: Salix Live XFCE 14.0.1 beta2

Post by mimosa »

Torrents for the isos:

http://people.salixos.org/mimosa/misc/s ... so.torrent
http://people.salixos.org/mimosa/misc/s ... so.torrent

Please seed if you can, even if you download from Sourceforge. The more, the merrier ;)
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Copied 32 bit iso to USB using dd. Created persistent file on hard disk.

The only untoward thing that happened in an evening's light use was that opening this page in midori displayed the main frame as pure black, rather than black writing on a white background:

http://archive09.linux.com/feature/116324

It displays normally in midori in xfce 14.0.1 64 bits. Also normal in firefox in Live.

I should mention I used dd because the stick created with the install script didn't boot, but I suspect it was just a local problem (such as insufficient wiping).
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

i have tested install on usb script.
it is working on all live isos xfce and kde
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

mimosa wrote:Copied 32 bit iso to USB using dd. Created persistent file on hard disk.

The only untoward thing that happened in an evening's light use was that opening this page in midori displayed the main frame as pure black, rather than black writing on a white background:

http://archive09.linux.com/feature/116324

It displays normally in midori in xfce 14.0.1 64 bits. Also normal in firefox in Live.

I should mention I used dd because the stick created with the install script didn't boot, but I suspect it was just a local problem (such as insufficient wiping).
I write this from a salixlive-xfce-32-bit running on a USB 16GB fat32, installed with install_on_USB.sh script and also having a 2000MB persistence xfs formatted file created with persistence wizard gui.

The above page and also salix forum looks fine in midori and firefox whuch i have installed also. Having black letters on a white background.

I also installed multimedia codecs and vlc. I set up also all my email accounts. Everything is running fine.
System is stable and fast. Someone would think that this is a normal installed system, if he did not know is running from a usb frugal installed system.

SalixLive XFCE is fantastic stable and fast. It uses 230MB of RAM without midori or firefox and 418MB of ram having midori and firefox running both.
When only midori is running system uses 296 MB RAM.
I have 2GB of ram on my laptop and i have not enabled swap.

Code: Select all

one[~]$ free -m
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:          1873       1296        577          0        158        842
-/+ buffers/cache:        296       1577
Swap:            0          0          0
one[~]$ 

one[~]$ uname -a
Linux salixlive 3.2.45-smp #1 SMP Tue Jul 30 10:57:39 EEST 2013 i686 Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU        P6100  @ 2.00GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
one[~]$
Some screenshots
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

Running Salix LIve XFCE 14.0.1 64 from a usb stick. Had problem running the install script until it tried the following which was a suggested by gapan in the thread that mimosa link to.

# sh /run/media/rich/disk_label/boot/install-on_USB.sh
No need for manual mounting.
Will continue to test.
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
Atip

Post by Atip »

32-bit

Desktop PC

With Grub I cannot boot from USB stick on my system as was amply discussed
in Slackel Forum, Live CD, Hang on USB Stick.

http://www.slackel.gr/slackelmulti/xoop ... 1&forum=18

Distros with boot loader extlinux will work like Slax.
No problem booting from DVD. No problem with USB stick on old Salix Live-13.1.2.
No problem with booting from USB stick with TCL, Tails, KNOPPIX.

/sbin/lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset DRAM Controller (rev 03)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 1 (rev 01)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family PCI Express Port 3 (rev 01)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 01)
00:1d.1 USB controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 01)
00:1d.2 USB controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 01)
00:1d.3 USB controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 01)
00:1d.7 USB controller: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 01)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev e1)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GB/GR (ICH7 Family) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 01)
00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) IDE Controller (rev 01)
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation N10/ICH7 Family SATA Controller [IDE mode] (rev 01)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation N10/ICH 7 Family SMBus Controller (rev 01)
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 05)
Last edited by Atip on 5. Aug 2013, 23:31, edited 1 time in total.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I have added instructions to the wiki entry on installing Salix Live to USB to hopefully cover some of the difficulties some users have experienced:

http://docs.salixos.org/wiki/How_to_ins ... _correctly
Atip

Post by Atip »

If I am the only user in the world on which system boot loader grub does not work
on a USB stick then so be it. It just means I am excluded to boot with USB stick Salix or Slackel.
If, however, there are thousands other users then may be this probem should be addressed.
If that is not possible then there is no need for any further discussion for me. I have
spent at least 2 full days in Slackel trying to make booting with grub from USB stick work
and I am not inclinded to repeat this agony.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

The page I mentioned having trouble with above turns out to load normally if Midori's ad blocking extension is turned off. I'm not sure whether the behaviour is the same in non-Live Salix.

One more thing I noticed is that when installing to USB using the instructions (which I've now managed to do), installing syslinux takes longer than expected, perhaps two or three minutes. Again, this may well be local, but it seems worth mentioning. In the past (with 13.37, for instanec) I remember it taking a few seconds.

EDIT mcabber in installed Salix xfce 14.0.1 doesn't show Greek or Hebrew characters (see recent posts in Salix jabber chat). I'm sure it could be fixed. But in the Live beta it works out of the box!

Obviously, this is a feature, not a bug ;)