Salix Live KDE 14.0.1 beta1

djemos
Salix Warrior

Salix Live KDE 14.0.1 beta1

Post by djemos »

And here it is Salix Live KDE 14.0.1 beta1

This version is build using SaLT developed in house by JRD in order to build Live CDs in a more dynamic fashion with very little modifications from the host system.
Livekernel is 3.2.45.

The software included in this release is exactly the same as that present in the standard Salix KDE 14.0.1 release (KDE 4.8.5) with the following additions:
isomaster, for managing ISO files;
gparted, for managing partitions;
grub2-1.99 for a beautiful boot menu and options;
lilosetup, to repair a failed lilo boot setup;
liveclone 0.12.14.0, for creating your own custom live CD/USB;
liveclone has been updated to work with new SaLT.
persistence-wizard, for creating a persistence file in order to keep changes upon reboot in the live environment;
remmina, for connecting to RDP server (like Windows or VirtualBox 4+), VNC server, NX server, SSH/SCP;
salix-live-installer 0.4.2 for installing Salix on a hard disk.
xorriso is used to make the live iso. Liveiso is hybrid. You can use dd method or install-on-USB or liveclone to create a live usb.

The default browser is now QupZilla, in place of Mozilla Firefox. QupZilla is a Qt-based browser that uses the webkit rendering engine that is fast, feature complete and standards compliant and it fits perfectly inside KDE.

The default root password is live
You don't need a password for the regular and auto-logged in user one

You can download iso files from the following links:

Salix Live KDE 14.0.1 beta1 (32 bit)
32 bits ISO (1002 MB) — MD5 checksum: 01247a3a3839f83d15094b0ff04831fa
Sourceforge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/f ... o/download
initrd for 32 bits PXE booting (6,4 MB): — MD5 checksum: 54f62d6370fabd336e8b3cfe6a42e220
Sourceforge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/f ... z/download

Salix Live KDE 14.0.1 beta1 (64 bit)
64 bits ISO (1009 MB) — MD5 checksum: c48c43a13e5714272e4018170a4d098e
Sourceforge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/f ... o/download
initrd for 64 bits PXE booting (6,6 MB) — MD5 checksum: 6ed9d782ad6c0d9281291bf798f02e06
Sourceforge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/f ... z/download

You can consult the Startup Guide for more information on Salix and Salix Live.

If you want to boot Salix Live through USB, please consult this documentation.

Note: For those who experience some display problem during the boot process you can try adding the following cheatcode with this procedure:
Reboot
At the Grub launch menu, go to Change boot options.
Select Custom linux kernel parameters
Enter nomodeset
Go back to the launch screen and boot

Please test the installer on a virtualbox as also in a real installation.
Also test install_on_usb and liveclone

Thanks for testing.
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Re: Salix Live KDE 14.0.1 beta1

Post by laprjns »

“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

The first thing I've noticed is Dolphin is unable to open hard disk partitions:

Could not enter folder /tmp/tmp CeiXAI./_dev_sda2.xfs

... and it sits there for several minutes with its progress bar going back and forth.

Then eventually when I clicked on another partition, I was prompted for the root password (just the once) and after that, all opened normally.

Partions are mounted to /media/{uuid} - an improvement on the /run/media/{username}/uuid thing.

EDIT

Qupzilla is very sluggish - whenever you click through to another page, there is a delay of up to 30 seconds before the new page becomes responsive. I didn't notice this before, and now, I have persistence set up. The persistent file is xfs, around 2.5 GB - the biggest that would fit on my 4GB stick.

So far almost nothing is installed.

By the way, this is the 32 bit version - I may have mistakenly said the opposite earlier.

Code: Select all

root[one]# twapake -s                                                                                                                                                                                                                       
mkdir /var/log/twapake
perl-term-readkey-2.30.01-i486-3fg
perl-curses-ui-0.9609-i486-1fg
twapake-0.5-noarch-2fg
perl-curses-1.28-i486-3fg
feedparser-5.1.2-i486-1gv
charm-1.9.1-i486-1tjb
pyroom-0.4.1-i486-2gv
mcabber-0.10.1-i486-1
loudmouth-1.4.3-i486-3
alpine-2.02-i486-1
root[one]#

(An aside - that was the first run - that first line of output shouldn't be there, should it?)

EDIT2 Another thing: a hard disk partition was open in Dolphin (I had to give the root password). I reboot without closing Dolphin. It opens, trying to open the directory showing the partition, but can't - I assume, because it doesn't have permission. But it says something like "Cannot find the directory" or "directory does not exist".
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

I am writing this from a salixlive-kde-14.0.1-32bit system installed on a USB_stick and having a 2GB persistence file.
I clicked on dolphin. dolphin asks for root password once. then opens any partition with no delay.
This is the way dolphin works.
If you close your computer without close dolphin then after reboot, opening dolphin goes to the partition you had previously open. But a message will appear saying that can't open partition. Because you did not type the root password. So in that case click on another partition and type the root password. Then can click in previous partition or any other partition to open it. This is also a normal dolphin behaviour.

I did not notice and delays on system.
Qupzilla open pages fast. It is working fine.
Also since my usb is formated on fat32 filesystem persistence file cannot be more than 4000 MB (4095 is the maximim size) even it is formated in xfs format.
This is how things work to have a system running with persistence also.

Next i run as root

slapt-get -u
slapt-get -i twapake
And the output was

root[one]# twapake -s
mkdir /var/log/twapake
perl-curses-ui-0.9609-i486-1fg
twapake-0.5-noarch-2fg
perl-term-readkey-2.30.01-i486-3fg
perl-curses-1.28-i486-3fg
since i don't use twapake, I cannot say what is the correct output of twapake. Someone who use it, can tell us.

Next i set up wireless and installed multimedia codecs.
I run salix-live-installer. clicking in do not modify partitions partitions are shown. clicking on external devices the /dev/sdb1 SanDisk Cruzer Blade 16.0GB USB_stick where salixlive-kde-32 is running from is also shown.

This is for another user's post in another forum saying clicking on do not modify partitions nothing shown.

Generally for all salixlive cd/dvd editions i can say that we have a working howto in which installer, liveclone, persistence wizard is working.
This has been tested by me before to release these both last xfce and kde live editions.
It is also working before on slackel live editions where i have tested also and where problems that has been reported from users has been solved.
So in these salix live editions to not exist seriously problems.
I imagine that can be cases that users can have a USB_stick which has problems on running salix. I have one of this. And the problem is that it has another folder dedicated to windows so installing e.g office on it can plug it on any hard disk system and have ofiice like it was installed in this Harddisk system.
This has nothing to do with salixlive installer. It is not its problem. This stick also has the same problem with any other linux which boot from live USB.

Also sometimes as i have seen when a partition it is not used and need to be checked so the filesystem has to be corrected then delays might appear running salix. This also has nothing to do with salixlive. User has to maintaine their system partitions to be checked and healthy.

And the output from free -m shows that 572MB of memory used having qupzilla running with three opened tabs.

one[~]$ free -m
             total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
Mem:          1873       1738        135          0        177        987
-/+ buffers/cache:        572       1301
Swap:            0          0          0

I think i wrote to much. :)
That's all for now.
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

Two small thing I noticed. First one may not be an issue but the second one I thing should be fixed

1) Clicking on the desktop's "Salix Online" icon opens to the Salix wiki page, not the main page. I'm not sure if this right or not.

2) Clinking on the desktop's "Salic IRC Support" icon opens to the webchat sign-in page but does not auto fill the channel box with "#salix". Not sure if this is the way it always been, but a don't think a newcomer would know the the correct channel's name.
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

laprjns wrote:Two small thing I noticed. First one may not be an issue but the second one I thing should be fixed

1) Clicking on the desktop's "Salix Online" icon opens to the Salix wiki page, not the main page. I'm not sure if this right or not.

2) Clinking on the desktop's "Salic IRC Support" icon opens to the webchat sign-in page but does not auto fill the channel box with "#salix". Not sure if this is the way it always been, but a don't think a newcomer would know the the correct channel's name.
Both was working.
About the first i think it has to do with changes happen to server and links. salix-online.desktop always point to http://salix.sourceforge.net so this link has to point again to salix first page or i will replace it to point to http://start.salixos.org.

For the second nothing has changed on salix-irc-support.desktop
But the line Exec=xdg-open http://webchat.freenode.net/?randomnick ... x&prompt=1 has to changed to
Exec=xdg-open "http://webchat.freenode.net/?randomnick ... x&prompt=1"
Then it is working OK.
Thanks for reporting this.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

djemos wrote:About the first i think it has to do with changes happen to server and links. salix-online.desktop always point to http://salix.sourceforge.net so this link has to point again to salix first page or i will replace it to point to http://start.salixos.org.
I think I fixed that now.
sqlpython
Donor

Post by sqlpython »

I downloaded the KDE 14.0.1 beta ISO and installed a KDE distro for the first time in 3 + years.
I have been using Xfce, Openbox & Fluxbox for at least 3 to 4 years.
My first attempt was to download and install Slackware 64. This installed just fine but continually had kernal panic crashes on boot. After 3 attempts to install I then installed Salix KDE 14.0.1 on that same partition.

The installation was flawless and quick. Salix boots each time and no kernel crashes
The Salix KDE install includes openJDK, Slackware does not. OpenJDK is an important feature for me.
Now I am busy customizing the look and feel.. Colors, themes, Desktop effects etc.. Lastly adding packages that I like/need such as Codecs, Qtcreator, Spyder, and others.

I use my Salix install for Surfing the Web, Google integration, Development and Office work. As a result, to meet these needs I had to install Firefox (extentions needed i.e Xmarks), Thunderbird (Google extentions), Kmplayer (mp4), LibreOffice (docx, xls).. These replaced the installed apps Bangarang, Calliga, Kmail, & QupZilla that would/could not accommodate the needs shown in parentheses. In the case of Calliga I uninstalled it as Some Word docx & Excel sheets would not open. Bangarang would not play mp4 or sfw. Kmail is lacking in so many ways. I found Dolphin to work perfectly with partitions and Samba Networking as well.

All and All Salix KDE is Great and for now is replacing for my daily use,, Salix Xfce which sits on another partition. Great Work !!
Slackware ( Manjaro ) Salix, AntiX, Bunsen, Calculate