Salix Xfce 14.1alpha1

gapan
Salix Wizard

Salix Xfce 14.1alpha1

Post by gapan »

The first alpha release of Salix 14.1 is here. This release mainly targets developers and packagers that want to have an easy and fast way of installing a preliminary clean 14.1 system, without having to install 14.0 first and then upgrade that to 14.1. A lot of stuff hasn't been built yet and so it is missing from the iso, like Claws-mail, Zim, Parole, Exaile... so, don't expect a full desktop experience yet anyway.

Also, the installer in this release is exactly the same as was in the 14.0.1 release, including the kernel the installer runs. That means that the installer is running a 3.2 kernel, but the 3.10 kernel from Slackware 14.1 is installed anyway. The beta that will follow will have this fixed of course, along with several other changes that will have to be included in the installer that will come with the final 14.1 release. During the installation, you'll get a dialog asking about the use of utf8 fonts in the console. That one comes from the Slackware lilo package and it will too go away once we have our own lilo package. For now, just answer yes to that question.

New stuff that has already been included is gnsu, or own implementation of a gksu replacement, that actually uses sudo as its backend. So, from now on, when you try to run a system configuration application that requires superuser priviliges, you'll have to provide your own user's password, not the root user's password. Running su from a terminal will still need the root user password though.

Also, make sure you test spi. spi is our new command line package management app, that combines slapt-get and slapt-src into one. That means, you can search both slapt-get and slapt-src repositories with a single command and it will also workout dependencies from either side. So, if a SlackBuild requires a package that is only available through slapt-get, it will find and install it and then proceed to building the SlackBuild. I just forgot to include it in the iso in this release and realized it too late, but you can install it with:

Code: Select all

# slapt-get -i spi
Also, make sure you run reposetup, our new terminal app that helps with selecting a mirror that is closest to you. We have lots of new mirrors now all over the world and users should take advantage of them. Reposetup will run by default at the end of installation when the beta comes out.

The "Package submissions" tracker is open now (you can find a link in our main page) and packagers can submit their packages for inclusion in the final Salix 14.1 release.

You can download the alpha iso images from Sourceforge using the following links:

Salix Xfce 14.1alpha1 (32-bit, i686):
(size: 651MB, md5sum: c436937267439e1b5668b5abdfc75628)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/f ... o/download

Salix64 Xfce 14.1alpha1 (64-bit, x86_64):
(size: 666MB, md5sum: 77745fb482e3808a0c268e4456d5eb6d)
http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/f ... o/download

Thanks for helping with developing the next Salix release!
zAchAry

Re: Salix Xfce 14.1alpha1

Post by zAchAry »

gapan wrote:A lot of stuff hasn't been built yet and so it is missing from the iso, like Claws-mail, Zim, Parole, Exaile... so, don't expect a full desktop experience yet anyway.
Users may use spi or slapt-src to obtain some missing packages from the SBo repository.
Help to make Slackware easier Donate to Salix
Andyun

Post by Andyun »

1. GSlapt: gst-plugins-base1-1.2.1-i486-1gv wants to upgrade to 1.2.0. Why?
2. How to configure xfce4-xkb-plugin-0.7.0 to switch keyboard layout?
3. Engrampa (mate-file-archiver) does not run (update: need to install "mate-file-manager" and "mate-desktop").
Thank you!
Last edited by Andyun on 30. Nov 2013, 12:54, edited 4 times in total.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Andyun wrote:1. GSlapt: gst-plugins-base1-1.2.1-i486-1gv wants to upgrade to 1.2.0. Why?
Thanks, I have fixed this now, the fix should be on all mirrors by the end of the day. I had forgotten to remove 1.2.0 when I uploaded 1.2.1.
Andyun wrote:2. How to configure xfce4-xkb-plugin-0.7.0 to switch keyboard layout?
I'm not aware that there are any differences with how it used to work. What problems did you find?
Andyun wrote:3. Engrampa (mate-file-archiver) does not run.
Are there any error messages when launching from a terminal?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

By the way, I am aware that right now engrampa has issues with rar files. The way the unrar terminal app (which engrampa uses) works changed with unrar 5. We either have to patch engrampa (best long term solution), or somehow keep rar 4 too (easier to fix now).
Andyun

Post by Andyun »

gapan wrote:
Andyun wrote:2. How to configure xfce4-xkb-plugin-0.7.0 to switch keyboard layout?
I'm not aware that there are any differences with how it used to work. What problems did you find?
The interface of this plugin has changed.
gapan wrote:
Andyun wrote:3. Engrampa (mate-file-archiver) does not run.
Are there any error messages when launching from a terminal?

GLib-GIO-Message: Using the 'memory' GSettings backend.  Your settings will not be saved or shared with other applications.

(engrampa:1047): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: Settings schema 'org.mate.caja.preferences' is not installed
After installing "mate-file-manager" and "mate-desktop" - OK.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Andyun wrote:The interface of this plugin has changed.
Yes, but not that much I think. You can configure layouts in the 3rd tab.
Andyun wrote:

GLib-GIO-Message: Using the 'memory' GSettings backend.  Your settings will not be saved or shared with other applications.

(engrampa:1047): GLib-GIO-ERROR **: Settings schema 'org.mate.caja.preferences' is not installed
After installing "mate-file-manager" and "mate-desktop" - OK.
OK, thanks, I'll see what we can do.
Andyun

Post by Andyun »

gapan wrote:
Andyun wrote:The interface of this plugin has changed.
Yes, but not that much I think. You can configure layouts in the 3rd tab.
I mean setting keyboard shortcuts for switching the layout (Alt+Shift).
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Andyun wrote:I mean setting keyboard shortcuts for switching the layout (Alt+Shift).
Good question. I don't know.
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

I did a basic install of both 32 and 64. In both Midori will not start, complaining about not finding liborc.
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"