Salix Xfce 14.1beta1

maximus

Re: Salix Xfce 14.1beta1

Post by maximus »

On performing a basic install of 14.1beta1, I noticed that xfce4 mixer and volume daemon weren't installed along with the rest of Xfce. Not sure if this is intended or not, I know it's a basic install but I wasn't expecting it to be that basic ;-)

For the first time I installed with an encrypted home partition, following the "README.CRYPT" guide which went perfectly other than the installer didn't seem to detect the swap partition that I set up in cfdisk previous to running "setup". I had to manually insert the swap into the fstab at the end of the install (oh what toil!), but I would have had to edit it at that point anyway as I had set up encrypted swap.

Really enjoy using SPI, makes things very easy! Great work.
sjox
Donor

Post by sjox »

Hi, great work!

I tested Salix64 Xfce 14.1beta1 and only found Peanuts:

Avidemux compiled from SPI starts with avidemux_qt.
Devede compiled from SPI forget mplayer (also SBO).
Parole works well but cannot play 6-Channel Audio from Matroska-Files.
(you can only hear music but no conversations - Gnome-Mplayer works!)
It was essential to write "hdparm -B 255 /dev/sda" in rc.local (Aspire One - Netbook)
(about Load_Cycle_Count)
Salix seems to be similar to ubuntu now (gksu-Problem) :lol:
Sometimes i cannot see any Shutdown-messages - the Display shows nothing but it works!

Issues?:
- If you want to add "New Data Composition" in Xfburn and it is bigger than 3GB, Xfburn freezes
(also Suse, Manjaro, Magaia,... - only works with Debian and Xubuntu)
- Why PAE - Kernel (32bit) ? How is it possible to install Salix on my very old Notebook?
- I cannot figure out why my Desktop PC (64bit) does not resume after being on sleeping mode?
(it works with Salix 14.0) It is an AMD Computer (Proz, Chip and GraphicsCard)
The resuming works perfectly with my Aspira One (Intel - 64bit)
Does anyone have an idea of how to find an appropriate solution or a link to start reading about this issues?

Thanks
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

sjox wrote:Avidemux compiled from SPI starts with avidemux_qt.
That's the way the package works. You can also start avidemux in the command line using avidemux-cli and in gtk using avidemux_gtk. The avidemux menu laucher invokes the avidemux-qt4 command.
Devede compiled from SPI forget mplayer (also SBO).
Spi didn't forget, it doesn't know that mplayer needed to be installed because the Slackbuild info file does not include mplayer as a dependency.
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Salix Ratpoison 14.0 (and all i486 editions of Salix till 13.37) retain the non-PAE kernel. Salix Ratpoison 14.1 will have it too. There's nothing to stop you installing xfce on top (though it may be a bit slow, depending on your hardware):

Code: Select all

slapt-get --install-set xfce
When booting the install disk, select the huge.s kernel by typing

Code: Select all

huge.s 
at the boot: prompt
Atip

Post by Atip »

Very Fast Installation :)

Making a USB boot stick from the installation menue did not work. :(
When booting it claimed not a bootable device.

Made one with pkgtool from within this beta1 and it is working. :D
Atip

Post by Atip »

My SATA drive which is on GPT (GUID Partition Table) is not detected by the installer.

How to go about?

Edit:
Actually it is detected by cgdisk and all partitions are called Microsoft basic data
when in fact they are all xfs. Only one partion on which I have Slackware installed
was detected as Linux and I used it to install this beta Salix version now.

Now when I tried to simulate another installation this partion is called EFI System.

The opening of cgdisk highlights Type and I do not know what to do with it being
afraid I might damage or destroy the entire HD on which I run Salix-14.0.1.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

maximus wrote:On performing a basic install of 14.1beta1, I noticed that xfce4 mixer and volume daemon weren't installed along with the rest of Xfce. Not sure if this is intended or not, I know it's a basic install but I wasn't expecting it to be that basic ;-)
Actually it is meant to be that basic :ugeek:
From the front page: "Basic: This installs only a basic desktop environment, with very few extra applications installed on top, such as a web browser and the gslapt package manager."

You have alsamixer anyway. ;)
maximus wrote:For the first time I installed with an encrypted home partition, following the "README.CRYPT" guide which went perfectly other than the installer didn't seem to detect the swap partition that I set up in cfdisk previous to running "setup". I had to manually insert the swap into the fstab at the end of the install (oh what toil!), but I would have had to edit it at that point anyway as I had set up encrypted swap.
Thanks for the report, I wasn't aware that anyone has tested this until now (I certainly haven't).
sjox wrote:Parole works well but cannot play 6-Channel Audio from Matroska-Files.
Yes, that was a problem with all our previous versions too. It's not a problem with parole, rather a problem with gstreamer that doesn't seem to be able to map 6-channel audio properly. For these files I just do what you do, use mplayer (mplayer2 actually).
sjox wrote:- If you want to add "New Data Composition" in Xfburn and it is bigger than 3GB, Xfburn freezes
(also Suse, Manjaro, Magaia,... - only works with Debian and Xubuntu)
That is interesting. There are some patches in debian's repo about this. I'll see if they have any effect. Thanks!
sjox wrote:- Why PAE - Kernel (32bit) ? How is it possible to install Salix on my very old Notebook?
How old is the notebook? As far as I know almost every CPU after and including the Pentium Pro has PAE support. The only exception is some (not all) Pentium M CPUs and some AMD K6 (I think). So, we're talking about more than 15 years old CPUs that are supported. I think I'll write a blog post about the kernels...
sjox wrote:- I cannot figure out why my Desktop PC (64bit) does not resume after being on sleeping mode?
(it works with Salix 14.0) It is an AMD Computer (Proz, Chip and GraphicsCard)
Maybe you should open a new thread about this and post more information, so it could receive some proper attention. First guess is your swap is not big enough.
Atip wrote:Making a USB boot stick from the installation menue did not work. :(
When booting it claimed not a bootable device.
I think you're probably the first one to ever report testing on this. I think I'll probably remove it from the final iso.
Atip wrote:My SATA drive which is on GPT (GUID Partition Table) is not detected by the installer.

How to go about?

Edit:
Actually it is detected by cgdisk and all partitions are called Microsoft basic data
when in fact they are all xfs. Only one partion on which I have Slackware installed
was detected as Linux and I used it to install this beta Salix version now.
Something funny is going on with your partitions and I'm guessing it's Microsoft doing something weird on them... Sorry I can't be any more help.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Regarding the USB boot stick, could it be a problem with booting from the USB with that particular BIOS or hardware?

I actually have used this feature in the past (though not with 14.1) and it worked; however, I can certainly live without it. I used it as a rescue system to deal with bootloader problems, but there are other tools for that.
sjox
Donor

Post by sjox »

Thanks for all the Answers!

It's no Problem with Avidemux_qt!
I have adjust avidemux2.desktop in /usr/share/applications to avidemux2_gtk
I have installed Brasero - it works well, but xfburn ist more likeable!
PAE: that are good news: i will wait for Ratpoison 14.1 and NONE-PAE
Yes it is a Intel Pentium M 1,7 GHz (Acer TravelMate 6000) - he need NONE-PAE

The "Problem" of resuming ist gone too...
I have misplace the "Power Management Setup" in BIOS! :oops: :oops:
Now for example "echo mem > /sys/power/state" and the settings of XFCE4 do it right!

By
Atip

Post by Atip »

When making the USB boot stick via the installer the file ldlinux.sys was missing.
I like the feature especially for testing since I do not have to run lilo every new version.
If you take the feature out is no problem since it is easy to make a USB boot stick
manually so to speak.

As for cgdisk I can say I have no Microsoft of any sort in my desktop PC. I will check again
how it worked with latest Slackware if it uses cgdisk.

Edit:
Checked with Slackware and it seems to be OK to work with cgdisk.

Made another installation to my GPT SATA drive this time selecting the partition of my choice with cgdisk.
In Type I selected Linux 8300, >Write and the installer found the parttion where I am in now.

I can confirm ldlinux.sys is not found in the USB boot stick. I added it from out of my Salix work box and
booted with it now into this Beta version. No need to run lilo. :)