Salix Xfce 14.1beta1

gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Salix Xfce 14.1beta1

Post by gapan »

sjox wrote:gnsu/gksu works flawless but you have to type in your userpassword.
Yes, and the idea is that if you want only certain users to able to do that, you can specify it in /etc/sudoers using visudo.
Atip wrote:Now I copied from slackware-14.1 where my printers are working /etc/cups to salix /etc/cups and both my printers are now detected
and printing happily. :D

Further, inserting a flash drive does by this boot now show on dektop. :)
I'm glad you worked that out, but I can only attribute your original reports as user error.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Atip wrote:Trying to play a video DVD with parole I get:
GStreamer backend error
Internal data stream error.
or
Internal data flow error.
No problem with gnome-player.
I can confirm this. I'll try to find a fix.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

I have uploaded new gstreamer, gst-plugins-* and parole packages to the repos which should fix this.
zAchAry

Post by zAchAry »

Would you like to include MenuLibre 2.0 which now is able to rearrange menu items, submenus, and separators?

Whisker Menu, if not yet included, would also be a good addition, especially for beginners.
Help to make Slackware easier Donate to Salix
Atip

Post by Atip »

gapan wrote:I have uploaded new gstreamer, gst-plugins-* and parole packages to the repos which should fix this.
Check! Working now. :)

Have skype running from my home partition. Just for info.
MrAnderson

Post by MrAnderson »

Hi,
This morning i wanted to try the 64 bit version of this beta, but the iso won't even boot on my test uefi virtual machine.
Since it lacks the EFI directory and a proper initrd, the current iso is almost useless on a UEFI (most of recent x86_64 machines) system because it cannot be installed without tweeking.
Slackware64 14.1 is already uefi bootable, and you should be able to achieve that with no effort.
Do you plan to make the x86_64 version of salixos uefi bootable?
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

The team is working on this as we speak, though it is not clear that Salix will do it the same way as Slackware.

It would be much appreciated if you were able to help with testing when there is a version to test. One of the reasons this is so difficult is there are many different scenarios, so the greater the number of testers, the more comprehensive the solution.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

MrAnderson wrote:Slackware64 14.1 is already uefi bootable, and you should be able to achieve that with no effort.
Please, go ahead and tell us exactly how then, if it requires no effort. It is extremely difficult (for me at least) to support something that I cannot even test, since I don't have any UEFI PCs (and almost nobody else here does either).
MrAnderson

Post by MrAnderson »

gapan wrote:Please, go ahead and tell us exactly how then, if it requires no effort. It is extremely difficult (for me at least) to support something that I cannot even test, since I don't have any UEFI PCs (and almost nobody else here does either).
I did not mean to upset you. I really like salix, and therefore I wish to continue to use it on my uefi laptop. Please understand that english is not my language so I may be resulting more blunt than I meant to be.
Even if you do not solve this, i will still be using salix: i can make an insallation usb stick that works with uefi, and obtain a bootable uefi system, like I did for the 14.0 (the system i am writing from), and my system may actually need a bit of tweeking even with the official slackware. But, since slackware64 iso is uefi bootable, why is that such a big deal for salix?

Now the actual stuff.
Assuming that you are using the same huge.s image that slackware64 uses, and that the installation enviroment is into the initrd.img that reside in the "isolinux" dir of the salix64 iso, than all you need to do is to import the EFI directory from slackware, and copy your initrd.img over their /EFI/BOOT/initrd.img
The only real difference is that you are using elilo to boot the installation busybox instead of lilo. That should means that, apart from some strange bios firmware configurations, or particular tweeks of the installation scripts (elilo/lilo step), no testing is required (well, actually all the testing required has already been done by the slackware team). And you can use a virtual machine to check if it works.
mimosa wrote:It would be much appreciated if you were able to help with testing when there is a version to test. One of the reasons this is so difficult is there are many different scenarios, so the greater the number of testers, the more comprehensive the solution.
Sadly, I need my only machine, a uefi laptop, to always be in working condition, since i use it to make a living. Therefore I can only run a complete installation test on virtual machine (virtualbox), while I have no problems in trying and booting the iso on the real machine (althoug i will go no further than the keymap menu). And I will gadly do so.

May the Slack be with you,
Mr Anderson
cieffe

Post by cieffe »

Hi all,
i have installed 32bit version, and all works fine so far.
just a little thing: in gslapt, in the summary menu, in italian language, there is: PACCHETTI ESCLUSSI, the right translation is PACCHETTI ESCLUSI.
That was wrong also in past version.
Thank you for your work.
A lazy slacker.