Salix Xfce 14.1RC1

cieffe

Re: Salix Xfce 14.1RC1

Post by cieffe »

Little test:
I stole (for a while :roll: ) the PC of my wife and... The 64bit version with UEFI in Hp Presario Cq58-221sl works fine!
Only two little things to fix for me (not related with Salix):
- a few seconds after booting the screen turns off and stays off, I have to manually re-enable it with the keyboard's key
- UEFI works, but i have to start with F9 to chose Salix, otherwise start windows without menu to chose
C.
shanek54
Donor

Post by shanek54 »

OK, I've been testing out the 64bit RC by doing the following:

1 Compiling software outside of the slackbuild system (i.e configure, make, make install)
2. Installing multilib (via djemos script)
3. Removing multilib (via a third party script)
4 Repeating 2 and 3 via various methods including manually
5 Downloaded, compiled and installed a gigabyte (or two :) ) of software through gslapt/sourcery
6 Removed packages, re-installed packages, upgraded packages.
7 Tinkered with runlevels, rc.* scripts, xfce settings, sudo rules and lots of other things that are best left alone
8 Added latest versions of some of my "must-have" stuff, as well as commercial packages.

and we're still running smoothly.

While a lot of the stability is due to slackware, the care and attention to the Salix additions is evident to me after doing enough to bugger the 'buntus, frazzle the fedoras and raze the red-hats ;)

This has the feel of a rock solid release to me.

Thanks to all the Salix devs, contributors, packagers and testers.
Atip

Post by Atip »

64-bit DVD install

My two printers, Epson and Brother, are not detected by cups.
Installed system-config-printer and added printer Epson. It still does not print
saying: waiting for printer to become ready. There is no error log.

parole does not open:
]$ parole

(parole:2647): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_error_new: assertion `domain != 0' failed

(parole:2647): GLib-GObject-WARNING **: invalid cast from `ParoleGst' to `GtkWindow'

(parole:2647): libxfce4ui-CRITICAL **: IA__xfce_dialog_show_error: assertion `parent == NULL || GTK_IS_WINDOW (parent)' failed

(parole:2647): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_error_free: assertion `error != NULL' failed

(parole:2647): parole-gst-ERROR **: autoaudiosink load failed
Trace/breakpoint trap
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Atip wrote:64-bit DVD install

My two printers, Epson and Brother, are not detected by cups.
Installed system-config-printer and added printer Epson. It still does not print
saying: waiting for printer to become ready. There is no error log.
Thanks for the report. It seems cups requires the root user. It seems to work if you add a password for the root user with:

Code: Select all

sudo passwd
then edit /etc/cups/cupsd.conf and change line

SystemGroup sys root lp
to

SystemGroup sys root
and finally restart the cups service.

I'm currently looking for other solutions too.
Atip wrote:parole does not open:
Does this always happen? Can you try right after a reboot? It looks like a problem with the soundcard. Maybe something else has it locked?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Here's another fix for the printer issue. Edit the SystemGroup line to replace the lp group with the wheel group, like:

SystemGroup sys root wheel
and restart cups. Since the 1st user is a member of the wheel group, when cups asks, provide the username and password of that user and it should work. No need to enable the root user and that's probably how we're going to do it for the final release.
Atip

Post by Atip »

gapan wrote:Here's another fix for the printer issue. Edit the SystemGroup line to replace the lp group with the wheel group, like:

SystemGroup sys root wheel
and restart cups. Since the 1st user is a member of the wheel group, when cups asks, provide the username and password of that user and it should work. No need to enable the root user and that's probably how we're going to do it for the final release.
Worked :D Quite a relieve. Added the wheel, stopped cups, started cups and printers roared away printing.
Atip

Post by Atip »

Atip wrote:parole does not open:
gapan wrote:
Does this always happen? Can you try right after a reboot? It looks like a problem with the soundcard. Maybe something else has it locked?
Fixed! Installed the multimedia codecs. And yes parole failed right after booting. If I remember right in beta1-32 bit I did not have to
install multimedia codecs for parole just to open. Now with RC1 both 32 and 64-bit it happened.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Maybe a missing dependency?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Yes, gst-plugins-good1 should be part of the iso, but wasn't.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »