Salix Xfce 14.1

gapan
Salix Wizard

Salix Xfce 14.1

Post by gapan »

After a long development period Salix Xfce 14.1 is ready! There have been many and important changes since our last release.

One of them is that now the 64bit installer supports installation on (U)EFI systems. In (U)EFI enabled systems, the 64bit release should prompt to install ELILO instead of LILO at the end of installation. GPT partitioned hard drives are also now fully supported by both 32bit and 64bit installers.

Another very important change is that we switched completely to sudo, abandoning the use of su by default. If you wish to give sudo privileges to any user, you should just make him a member of the wheel group. The first user that is created during the installation process automatically becomes a member of the wheel group and gets sudo privileges. Any other user that is created after that does not enter the wheel group automatically and does not get sudo privileges by default. For users that still want their root user back, check the wiki, it's really easy to do it.

One other major addition (although tiny in size) is the inclusion of spi, a new command line package management tool that is now the recommended way to search for and install packages and SlackBuilds. spi is a tool that acts as a wrapper around slapt-get and slapt-src and also allows dependency handling crossing over to the "other side" if needed. Please run man spi (or gtkman spi) to read how it works, it should be easy enough.

There are a lot of things that have been added to the iso as well though. Most are stuff that run in the background. Gstreamer 1.x packages have been included and installed side by side with gstreamer 0.10.x packages, since one version is needed by some applications in the iso and the other from some other applications. Also, GTK+3 is included too, as Transmission only works with GTK+3 now.

As far as all other software, everything has been updated to newer versions (if available). Not too many surprises there. A lot of software has already been added to our repositories thanks to our packagers. The default software collection is mostly the same as it was in our 14.0 release. Xfce 4.10 is featured in this release, Midori is the default browser, Libreoffice covers any office needs, Claws Mail, Pidgin, Gimp, Geany, Parole, Exaile and everything else is still there, including of course the full collection of our own system administration tools.

For users that have 14.0 installed and want to upgrade to 14.1, you can find instructions in the wiki.

We also managed to rewrite our Salix Startup Guide, which is now linked from our main website and is currently available online, or as a pdf download. If you are a new Salix user make sure you take a look, we believe it will help you out in your first steps.

Last but not least, we also have a new logo, created by our user Alejandro Simón! We felt that we needed a simpler logo, one that would scale down nicer than the previous one. Thank you Alejandro!

So, feel free to download the iso images using the torrents or through Sourceforge. Torrent downloads should be fast for everyone as we now have at least 2 high speed servers seeding them on permanent basis.

Salix Xfce 14.1 CD ISO (i686, 32-bit)
(size: 697 MB, md5: c3e9469b4bd329838385255d8735191c)
Sourceforge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/f ... o/download
torrent: http://download.salixos.org/i486/14.1/i ... so.torrent

Salix64 Xfce 14.1 DVD ISO (x86_64, 64-bit)
(size:713 MB, md5: fcb3509ff1fe4d27395b71ebe0801e74)
Sourceforge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/f ... o/download
torrent: http://download.salixos.org/x86_64/14.1 ... so.torrent

Have fun!
Parafoil

Re: Salix Xfce 14.1

Post by Parafoil »

Big thanks for upd ;)
retriever

Post by retriever »

Well Salix remains the best in my experience. Just downloaded and installed 14.1. No problems.

Thank you for all your hard work Salix team! :D
hugok

Post by hugok »

Thanks gapan and team for the new salix 14.1 Xfce release.

Great work :D
Hugo Carvalho
Portuguese translator

https://github.com/hugok79
TracyTiger

Sucessfully Burned Salix64 Xfce 14.1 on a CD

Post by TracyTiger »

Yesterday I burned Salix64 14.1 on a CD using cdrecord with the -overburn option. It seemed to fit on the "700MB" CD I had and all the md5 checksums for the files on the burned CD were correct. I used the CD to install the system and it appears to run okay.

Not all CDs have an equal amount of space so this may work on some CDs an not others.

Just to let others know in case they don't have a blank DVD handy.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Sucessfully Burned Salix64 Xfce 14.1 on a CD

Post by gapan »

TracyTiger wrote:Yesterday I burned Salix64 14.1 on a CD using cdrecord with the -overburn option. It seemed to fit on the "700MB" CD I had and all the md5 checksums for the files on the burned CD were correct. I used the CD to install the system and it appears to run okay.

Not all CDs have an equal amount of space so this may work on some CDs an not others.

Just to let others know in case they don't have a blank DVD handy.
Thank you, that is very good to know.

The 32bit iso fits in a CD anyway, but the 64bit iso is >10MB over the official limit. Overburning might work for certain discs and with certain burners, but it's not guaranteed to work all the time, hence the "DVD" characterization. 800MB CDs should work too, but these are kind of rare and might not work with all burners either.
sqlpython
Donor

Post by sqlpython »

Thank You for the new Version
Slackware ( Manjaro ) Salix, AntiX, Bunsen, Calculate
Tim CowChip

Post by Tim CowChip »

I have been using Slackware for the past year or more, but this release looks very updated and I will be switching back to Salix.
I hope that will be able to contribute in a meaningful way.
ImageImage
knome
Donor

Post by knome »

Many thanks to gapan and the team for 14.1. I don't have any great urgency to upgrade (from 14.0) just yet but it's nice to know Salix is alive and kicking with the team doing a superb job.

:D
Atip

Post by Atip »

Upgraded my salix box from 14.0.1 to 14.1 following the steps outlined in
'How to upgrade Salix 14.0 to 14.1'. Great instructions.:D

After reboot
parole would not play a DVD before installing multimedia codecs. However,
only 4 were needed.

mate-panel needed an extra symlink for libxcb-util.so.0 to libxcb-util.so.1

Unfortunately in sakura the transparency setting is apparently lost. :(