Salix KDE 14.1beta1

ikke

Re: Salix KDE 14.1beta1

Post by ikke »

djemos wrote:KDE is getting real heavy on resources, this is why i use openbox as my main system for everyday use.
But i made the KDE installation and Live editions for users who are funs of KDE and also have fast pc with a lot of memory.
Agree with you.
Thanks for testing.
Experienced my first big problem : the modules i made according to your recipe break the system. When I boot, the system doesn't recognize the entries in the 'passwd'-file and stops asking for a passwd forever.

If you allow me : another remark. I unsquashfsed the module '06-live.slm'. And then the result in a module again with your rule. The size of the original '06-live.slm' and my home made '06-live.slml' are different. Other options?

Thank you for any hint.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

Experienced my first big problem : the modules i made according to your recipe break the system. When I boot, the system doesn't recognize the entries in the 'passwd'-file and stops asking for a passwd forever.

If you allow me : another remark. I unsquashfsed the module '06-live.slm'. And then the result in a module again with your rule. The size of the original '06-live.slm' and my home made '06-live.slml' are different. Other options?
Live iso boots direct on X without asking for a password. It will prompt for "one" password if you run gslapt, etc.
Do not touch the 06-live.slm without knowing what you are doing. It has critical data for passwd and shadow files.

So to test. I made a live usb. Then i created a new module 07-firefox.slm containing mozilla-firefox and mozilla-firefox-l10n-el packages.
I copy the live module to boot/modules directory of usb and reboot from usb.
It is good to set permissions to 444 e.g. sudo chmod 444 07-firefox.slm

Booting from usb and Firefox appeared on menus.
I run firefox and here i am writing this from the live-usb.
Do you have squashfs-tools-4.2-i486-1cp installed?
ikke

Post by ikke »

djemos wrote:
Live iso boots direct on X without asking for a password.
Thank you for reaction,
Yes. Of course, I didn't touch '06-live.slm'. The only thing I did was to put my selfmade module 'update.slm' in the modules-directory. The result was that the iso didn't boot direct on X but was asking for a password and stopped booting.

I recreated for testing purposes the '06-live.slm' module and saw that its size was different from the size of the original one.

Have been using the squashfs-tools provided by the system (x86_64),

Thank you for attention
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

Because you touch 06-live.slm did not autologin .I don't know what you have done there.
Also put a number in front of your module 08- to not load before the other modules.
This approach of creating modules has been tested and is working fine as i have written in previous post.
ikke

Post by ikke »

djemos wrote:Because you touch 06-live.slm did not autologin .I don't know what you have done there.
I assure you : I didn't touch the 06-live.slm module. I repeat : the only thing I did was to compile the 'update.slm' module and to put it in the /modules directory.
I can boot the normal way if I remove the 'update.slm' module. So this could mean that my module causes the password problem. What did I wrong? I followed carefully your instructions.
This approach of creating modules has been tested and is working fine as i have written in previous post.
I believe you. Do you want me to send my module to you so you can have a look and try to find out what went wrong.

Maybe I shoud add that I did a frugal install and copied everything to hd(0,0)/boot-directory and booted from the old grub (menu.lst).

Thank you.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

Maybe I shoud add that I did a frugal install and copied everything to hd(0,0)/boot-directory and booted from the old grub (menu.lst).
I did a frugal install on usb and boot from usb. Not with grub.

Send me the module to test it and see what packages you put on it.
My email is on salix team page.
ikke

Post by ikke »

djemos wrote:I did a frugal install on usb and boot from usb.
That's exactly what I did. I also installed grub legacy on usbstick and booted from there.

The latest error messages before getting stuck were :

Code: Select all

Unknown user name 'root' in bus configuration file
Could not get password database information for UID of current process. User '???' unknown or no memory to allocate password entry
Sending you my module '10-updates' which contains the updates for "cairo flash-plugin openssh seamonkey-solibs "

Thank you.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

You are trying to boot from usb using previous method with grub.
Do not do this. Just do what i did. Run install_on_usb.sh copy your module to boot/modules/
and boot from usb.
Otherwise we speak about different things.
Do not use grub. do not install grub on usb.
Unknown user name 'root' in bus configuration file
Could not get password database information for UID of current process. User '???' unknown or no memory to allocate password entry
What root name. There is no root account in iso. Only one user.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

I found what is the problem. You install a package containing openssh-6.6p1-x86_64-3_slack14.1.txz which tries to update module/etc/shadow file which does not exist and since this loaded after 06-live.slm breaks the system.

In details:
module/etc/shadow file has only this line
sshd:*:9797:0:::::
and since this loads after 06-live.slm delete all contents of shadow file in 06-live.slm module and break the system so the message about root appeared.
I told you in previous post. Rename 06-live.slm to load last of all modules. Rename to 09-live.slm and name your module 06 or 07-update.slm.
So to update critical files of system need to know what you are doing to not break the system.
ikke

Post by ikke »

djemos wrote:I found what is the problem. .
Dear Djemos, I was out of town for a couple of days : so I could not react immediately. Am sorry.

Am sure you are right with your last email. Will follow your directions and let you know as soon as possible the result. Thank you for your efforts.

Once more : thank you. And have a nice week-end.