Salix KDE 14.1beta1

ikke

Re: Salix KDE 14.1beta1

Post by ikke »

djemos wrote:I found what is the problem. You install a package containing openssh-6.6p1-x86_64-3_slack14.1.txz which tries to update module/etc/shadow file which does not exist and since this loaded after 06-live.slm breaks the system.

In details:
module/etc/shadow file has only this line
sshd:*:9797:0:::::
and since this loads after 06-live.slm delete all contents of shadow file in 06-live.slm module and break the system so the message about root appeared.
I told you in previous post. Rename 06-live.slm to load last of all modules. Rename to 09-live.slm and name your module 06 or 07-update.slm.
So to update critical files of system need to know what you are doing to not break the system.
You are right. !00%. Thank you.
What I did was to rename 06-live.slm to 16-live.slm. And everything is working fine now. Thank you very much.

Further on frugal install : where can I find "install_on_usb.sh "? And
aaditya wrote:So can this method be used to install Salix Live on a USB without destroying the contents of the USB?
Thank you for ind attention,
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

ikke wrote:Further on frugal install : where can I find "install_on_usb.sh "?
http://forum.salixos.org/viewtopic.php? ... 136#p34136
http://people.salixos.org/djemos/salix/install_on_usb/
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

It will overwrite the MBR with a brand new one, but not destroy existing data. Be careful of any directories (including possibly hidden ones) that might interfere in some way with Salix Live, left over from some other Live. If in doubt, it may be best to delete anything that isn't data.

I have a stick that has both Salix and Slax on it, but to make it boot Slax, I would need to run Slax's equivalent of this script, overwriting the MBR again. Then to return to Salix, I would run install-on-usb.sh.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

mimosa wrote:It will overwrite the MBR with a brand new one, but not destroy existing data. Be careful of any directories (including possibly hidden ones) that might interfere in some way with Salix Live, left over from some other Live. If in doubt, it may be best to delete anything that isn't data.
Yes. This maybe happen.
I have a stick that has both Salix and Slax on it, but to make it boot Slax, I would need to run Slax's equivalent of this script, overwriting the MBR again. Then to return to Salix, I would run install-on-usb.sh.
This is normal. Slax use extlinux boot loader to boot. So you have to use bootinst.sh equivalent script from Slax to boot Slax.
From the other hand you can use install_on_usb.sh or bootinst.sh from the above link to run Salix. Both are working fine.
DrCR

Post by DrCR »

Is kernel version 3.14.4 or greater going to be used for the release? Apparently there is a security flaw that affects kernels up to version 3.14.3.

Last week it was reported that a bug in the Linux kernel could potentially allow users on a Linux-based system to gain privileges and run malicious code. The flaw was introduced during the development of the 2.6.31 kernel and affects kernels up to version 3.14.3.
http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20140519#news

Sorry if this has already been brought up, and I somehow missed it.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

Salix follows the 14.1 stable slackware version. So includes the same kernel version used in 14.1 slackware release which is 3.10.17.
ikke

Re: Salix KDE 14.1beta1 LIVE

Post by ikke »

Further, if you allow me.

Seems things are not moving very fast...

Salix Live KDE 14.1beta1 available since April 17. Works like a charm. Up to now no RC.

Salix XFCE 14.1 install iso available since ages. Up to now no LiveCD.

Salix Mate 14.1 also available since a couple of weeks. Up to now no LiveCD.

Know that they will be ready when they are ready. But that's easy to say. Feel Salix people are no longer interested in offering LiveCDs. Hope I am wrong.

Any comments?

Thank you for attention.
posixru

Re: Salix KDE 14.1beta1 LIVE

Post by posixru »

ikke wrote:Seems things are not moving very fast...
Why the hurry? Salix competes with someone? Image
Let it be slow and good than fast and bad!Image
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

posixru :)

The Salix team is rewarded and encouraged by the support of the community.
fatmac

Post by fatmac »

Will there be a live 14.1 fluxbox?