Salix Openbox 14.1beta2

gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Salix Openbox 14.1beta2

Post by gapan »

djemos wrote:No, even Terminal=True exists in .desktop file, it does not work. So, no support for this.
So, next step is to remove fbpanel from package lists.
No, we must have a panel and apart from that problem, fbpanel looks OK. I'll look into writing a patch that adds functionality for supporting the Terminal entry. Probably tomorrow...
djemos wrote:Another problem is that xdg-utils has to recompiled and add there "midori". Otherwise xdg-open will not launch midori when click on desktop salix-on-line icon or salix-irc icon.
I have done this so if agreed let me know to upload on package submissions.
Please do so.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Here, apply this patch: http://pnboy.pinguix.com/gapan/salix/fb ... inal.patch

It hardcodes all entries that have Terminal=true to launch with xterm. We can symlink the terminal we're going to include to xterm in any case. I'm generally talking about "the terminal we're going to include" because I'm not convinced that should be sakura. Sakura is using gtk3 and my opinion is that we should stay away from that as much as we can, at least for now. I have uploaded lxterminal to the repos, which for me looks like a better alternative to sakura.

Also, check out the two patches for fbpanel that they are using in arch: https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit ... es/fbpanel
(you'll find the 2nd linked in the PKGBUILD). I haven't tested them or know what they're doing, I just noticed that they exist.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

Thanks for the patch.
I knew lxterminal but i do not remember why i have chosen sakura. If it does not need any other lx libraries then it is ok.
I have compiled fbpanel using these patches but i do not see any difference in battery. Of course we can use them.
posixru

Post by posixru »

Salix Openbox 14.1beta2 (FULL):

Image No Problem ... Image
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

- conky removed. Done
- the screensaver should be set to only a blank screen by default. Some 3D screensavers cause crashes with certain graphics cards. Done
- remove gnome-icon-theme package. It's not needed, we have mate-icon-theme. Done
- Set the Manager in the bottom of the spacefm window to autohide by default. It just takes up space most of the time. Done

- apart from removing transparency, I think we should remove rounded edges and make it 100% of the width. You don't gain anything by making it a fraction of the available width, it just leaves less space for the taskbar etc... Done
- remove dead space at the start of the panel. If it covers 100% of the screen, you should be able to open the menu by clicking at the bottom left edge of the screen. Also remove 10px of dead space before the clock. Make all other spaces 5px wide, they are too big as they are. Again, why waste space? Done
- change all "terminal-tango" icon instances in config with "utilities-terminal" so it matches the rest of the theme. Done
- No need for a "Terminal" menu item in the "Computer" menu, we already have Sakura in the Utilities menu. Done. Also lxterminal is default terminal. Removed sakura from package lists.
And the "Computer" menu should better be named "Exit". Also put "logout" after "Lock Display" and capitalize it too: "Log Out". You can also remove the separator. Done
- Set showwallpaper = false for the pager in the panel. Done
- Change spacefm icon in the launchbar to "user-home" Done
- I'm not sure about the usefulnes of the CPU meter, but I don't really mind. Done. Removed CPU meter.
- I would prefer it if the battery applet didn't show up when you don't actually have a battery, but I guess that is not possible the way it is.. Battery applet remain.

- Also, the .xinitrc file in /etc/skel is different from the one in /etc/X11/xinitrc/ Done
- xdg-utils have to transferred from 14.0. Done. See on package submissions
- fbpanel rebuild with patches and upload on package submissions. Done
- lxterminal is used now instead sakura. Done
- zzz-settings-openbox reopened to symlink the lxterminal to xterm. So htop is working now lanched from fbpanel menus.