Salix Openbox 14.1beta2

djemos
Salix Warrior

Salix Openbox 14.1beta2

Post by djemos »

Hi,
I have just uploaded the salix-14.1 openbox beta2 iso's.
Bugs that has been reported has been fixed.
These are:
* midori has been added to the list of browsers in /user/bin/xdg-open file
* you can run now a "Root Terminal" from the File menu in spacefm
* nitrogen has been removed. SpaceFM is used to change the wallpaper background.
* fbxkb added so a flag appears on panel to switch between keyboards.
* salixtools, spi, seamonkey-solibs has been updated to latest release.

So, please try these out so we can have a RC1 release.

You can download all Salix Openbox 14.1beta2 iso images from the following link, using the Sourceforge servers.

Salix Openbox 14.1beta2 (32-bit) installation image
(size: 694MB,md5: 2613ddc2f3220275e687ad06992bebb1)
Sourceforge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/f ... o/download

Salix Openbox 14.1beta2 (64-bit) installation image

(size: 636MB,md5: cd63f3e037a8d5a76b9aec4b6ec73de9)
Sourceforge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/f ... o/download
ikke

Re: Salix Openbox 14.1beta2

Post by ikke »

Congratulations!

Any liveCD Salix Openbox 14.1 soon?

Thank you.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

When it's ready ;)
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

A 32-bit full install is working nicely and looking good!

So far, I browsed for a while, installed multimedia codecs, used the file manger to open some things (a funny message on first opening another partition, but I think I probably just clicked too many times). Wireless internet connects ok. Flash works on internet.

If anyone else has time for some more systematic testing, that will help bring a release candidate closer :)
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Unfortunately I'm not that easily pleased. :P

I've only made a 32bit full installation and used for about 5 mins. This is what I found bugging me so far:
- when launching from within spacefm, "root" terminal has the wrong font. I don't necessarily agree with the concept of a "root terminal" option either.
- mate-document-viewer and epdfview are both installed and they do the same thing. Choose one, stick with it.
- no icon for irc on the desktop
- xterm is installed and it shouldn't, there is sakura already.
- I don't like the transparency on the panel. It makes text not easily readable.
- and last but not least, my biggest problem is conky. In my opinion it should be completely removed. What good is it if it eats 25% of my CPU all the time?

I'll test more over the weekend...
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I concur about Conky. It's not to everyone's taste, and can easily be added after installation.

For a release aimed at low-grade hardware, that 25% is a serious drag. I also personally find Conky clutters the screen. Of course, it's no trouble to turn it off, but if it matters at all what the default is, that's got to be a consideration.

It occurs to me it might be less intrusive on a larger screen, but I'm living the laptop life just now.
posixru

Post by posixru »

mimosa wrote:For a release aimed at low-grade hardware, that 25% is a serious drag. I also personally find Conky clutters the screen. Of course, it's no trouble to turn it off, but if it matters at all what the default is, that's got to be a consideration.
Conky 25%? Image
Salix Openbox 14.1beta2 (BASIS), Conky:

Test 2 days on laptop DELL/P4/512->No Problem ... Image
PS: spi+undistract-me Image
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

gapan wrote:Unfortunately I'm not that easily pleased. :P

I've only made a 32bit full installation and used for about 5 mins. This is what I found bugging me so far:
- when launching from within spacefm, "root" terminal has the wrong font. I don't necessarily agree with the concept of a "root terminal" option either.
- mate-document-viewer and epdfview are both installed and they do the same thing. Choose one, stick with it.
- no icon for irc on the desktop
- xterm is installed and it shouldn't, there is sakura already.
- I don't like the transparency on the panel. It makes text not easily readable.
- and last but not least, my biggest problem is conky. In my opinion it should be completely removed. What good is it if it eats 25% of my CPU all the time?

I'll test more over the weekend...
- root terminal is in spacefm source. It cannot be removed.
About font sakura.conf in /home/user has to copied to /root so will be the same. Also in gnsu a line CMD=`echo ${CMD/-g -D SpaceFM Command/}` has to added adder CMD="$@" on line 7. Otherwise root terminal does not work. I did it manually.
- about epdfview - It will removed
- in beta1 irc icon was on desktop. If run update-all then appears. This is strange.
- no problem with transparency and text reading here. Transparency is more well looking for desktop but can easily removed.
To see how panel is looking without transparency edit ~/.config/fbpanel/default and in line 117 set true to false (transparent = false ). Then logout and login again.
- xterm is necessary for the user to log in from gdm if a problem occurs. If we removed then user cannot fix things.
- conky using top, takes 1% of cpu usage. (25% no way) - It will removed.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Here is conky running:

and just a few seconds after closing conky:

when conky is running is takes ~10% CPU for itself (which is already huge) and on top of that forces X to work overtime too (another ~13%). As soon as conky stops X drops to a modest 3-4%.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Oddly enough, running xmonad instead of openbox, both conky and X are much more modest in their demands: