Salix Openbox 14.1RC1

gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Salix Openbox 14.1RC1

Post by gapan »

zAchAry wrote:What is the root password?
There is no root password. It is disabled.
zAchAry wrote:Conky is not available by default.
I fail to understand how this can be characterized as a "problem" in any sense of the word.
zAchAry wrote:itweb-settings is un-resize-able.
Of course it is resizable. But even if it wasn't, what makes you think that would be a problem specific to Salix and the openbox edition in particular?
zAchAry wrote:Some Twin Panel file managers you might like to include, instead of SpaceFM, which is also Twin Panel.
Maybe in a future version. Application selection cannot possible be altered that drastically during RC stages.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

zAchAry wrote:Some Twin Panel file managers you might like to include, instead of SpaceFM, which is also Twin Panel.
I like to say that there are also other things for choosing a file manager e.g. samba shares support, network shares etc. To not depend on qt or other dependencies.
And there are only two filemanages which i tested and prefer. SpaceFM and PCmanFM.
When i developed openbox, SpaceFM had problems, now it is OK. For that reason i have chosen SpaceFM.
Where SpaceFM is better? On shares exist on different disk that the disk the distro is running. PcmanFM need to first mount them with another tool (py-neighborhood for example) to be able to see them.
SpaceFM can do this by default with its smb share plugin. Can we have SpaceFM in future releases. Yes we can. But now in an rc version cannot change packages.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Well, I just noticed more things...

1. system-config-printer is part of the BASIC list. This is not present in any other salix edition and should probably be removed, since its functionality is covered by the cups web frontend anyway. pycups can probably be removed with it.
2. wm-logout is included, but it's not used in the fbpanel menu. It is however used in the right click openbox menu. I think it should be better if the fbpanel menu was rearranged and the "Exit" item would just launch wm-logout instead of a submenu. The "Lock Display" item can probably be moved in the main menu, right above "Exit" and under the separator.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

And unfortunately, more:

3. in a basic installation, the right click openbox menu has items for launching geany and whaawmp, which are not installed.
4. in a basic installation, right clicking the volume icon and trying to load the mixer, it tries to load sakura, which is not there... Sakura shows up in the preferences window of the volume icon too.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

gapan wrote:Well, I just noticed more things...

1. system-config-printer is part of the BASIC list. This is not present in any other salix edition and should probably be removed, since its functionality is covered by the cups web frontend anyway. pycups can probably be removed with it.
I disagree. BASIC list is different in salix editions. system-config-printer is the most easy way to set up printers and especially samba shares. I insist to keep it.
gapan wrote: 2. wm-logout is included, but it's not used in the fbpanel menu. It is however used in the right click openbox menu. I think it should be better if the fbpanel menu was rearranged and the "Exit" item would just launch wm-logout instead of a submenu. The "Lock Display" item can probably be moved in the main menu, right above "Exit" and under the separator.
Done.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

gapan wrote:And unfortunately, more:

3. in a basic installation, the right click openbox menu has items for launching geany and whaawmp, which are not installed.
4. in a basic installation, right clicking the volume icon and trying to load the mixer, it tries to load sakura, which is not there... Sakura shows up in the preferences window of the volume icon too.
whaawmp has been removed from menu.xml. User can find it in "All apps" menu.
about sakura has been fixed in user-settings-openbox-2dj. I already have seen this bug.

I have upload another user-settings-openbox-3dj included all these reports. But wait to not upload it in repos. I will test it first and then i will write here to upload it.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

djemos wrote:
gapan wrote:Well, I just noticed more things...

I disagree. BASIC list is different in salix editions. system-config-printer is the most easy way to set up printers and especially samba shares. I insist to keep it.
And why is this particularly true for the openbox edition only? If it is easier, then wouldn't it be easier in xfce or mate editions too? If so, why isn't there? The answer is because we had agreed to not put it there, because that duplicates functionality and breaks the "one app per task" philosophy. If that's a change we want to make, then it's a change that should happen in all editions, not just openbox. And then, even if you decide to keep it for openbox, against what we do in other editions, why is it part of a basic installation instead of full?
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

gapan even in basic installation it is good user can set up printers too.
But if breaks the "one app per task" philosophy then its ok i will remove it.
I suggest in future releases of salix to include system-config-printer and remove the other way setup.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

djemos wrote:gapan even in basic installation it is good user can set up printers too.
Actually, no. A basic installation should include as little as possible and it would be better if cups was not a part of it at all. Remember that a basic installation should bring only the DE, a browser, a text editor, package management tools, salixtools and nothing more. Unfortunately we cannot remove cups from BASIC, since that would also remove samba and pysmc, which I guess are needed for spacefm... In the xfce edition for example, where there is no such problem, cups is only part of the FULL list, not BASIC.
djemos wrote:But if breaks the "one app per task" philosophy then its ok i will remove it.
I suggest in future releases of salix to include system-config-printer and remove the other way setup.
The problem is that "the other way" cannot be removed. It's built into cups. So, system-config-printer is always going to be an extra tool for the same job.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Off topic, I've always thought there was a case for having wicd in Basic. Anything else, you can just get from the repos after installation, but if you have no ethernet that leaves manual setup of wireless, for which I myself generally find I need to refresh my memory using ... online resources. Or download the package to a USB stick on another machine, and install manually. I have actually done that.

Even if we agreed to have wicd in Basic, though, it would clearly be a thing for 14.2, not 14.1 Openbox.