Salix Openbox 14.1RC2

zAchAry

Re: Salix Openbox 14.1RC2

Post by zAchAry »

djemos wrote:
zAchAry wrote:
djemos wrote: - leafpad is used in config files instead of geany, since there is no geany installed in basic installation.
Why not xdg-open?
because it does not work in all cases.
It is always working for me. If there would be a problem, I would use xfce4-mime-settings or the following command to correct it.

Code: Select all

xdg-mime default leafpad.desktop `grep 'MimeType=' /usr/share/applications/leafpad.desktop | sed -e 's/.*=//' -e 's/;/ /g'`
From http://lxde.sf.net/gpicview/
djemos wrote:what is wrong with leafpad?
Nothing. I use it regularly.
Help to make Slackware easier Donate to Salix
zAchAry

Post by zAchAry »

/etc/skel/.config/tint2/tint2rc
sakura (>lxterminal) and geany (>leafpad) are set as launchers.

It seems several options in tint2rc need to be adjusted (some applied to SVN only, not 0.11).
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

djemos wrote:About "Edit as root" and spacefm. I look in the code and it is a mess to edit and remove every function to root. Then code did not compile. I am not going to spend more time on it. So either we keep spacefm as it is.

Or i suggest to use pcmanfm instead of spacefm. I replaced spacefm with pcmanfm and everything is working fine.
To be honest, I'm not comfortable with any option. Staying with spacefm means that we have known and visible bugs, which is really bad. I would have agreed 100% to move to pcmanfm if we were on the beta stage. But now, it will need another round of testing. It seems to work OK, I have tried the replacement here too (and we do get proper trash functionality), but who knows what problems might come up with it? What about samba mounts in which you were so interested in? This has dragged on for too long, we need to make a release eventually. Are you up for another RC, and maybe another... and another?
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

My view is it's unfortunate this happened, but we can't release it like this: it goes against the whole Salix 'bonsai' philosophy. The third course would be to keep plugging away at a fix for spacefm, if I'm right in thinking that would still be possible.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

gapan wrote:
djemos wrote:About "Edit as root" and spacefm. I look in the code and it is a mess to edit and remove every function to root. Then code did not compile. I am not going to spend more time on it. So either we keep spacefm as it is.

Or i suggest to use pcmanfm instead of spacefm. I replaced spacefm with pcmanfm and everything is working fine.
To be honest, I'm not comfortable with any option. Staying with spacefm means that we have known and visible bugs, which is really bad. I would have agreed 100% to move to pcmanfm if we were on the beta stage. But now, it will need another round of testing. It seems to work OK, I have tried the replacement here too (and we do get proper trash functionality), but who knows what problems might come up with it? What about samba mounts in which you were so interested in? This has dragged on for too long, we need to make a release eventually. Are you up for another RC, and maybe another... and another?

Well, i have tested pcmanfm .I have change the user-settings file and i am positive we have no problem. Mount shares is working fine. A desktop trash appears on Desktop. Also user "Documents folder" appear on desktop. I don't see any problems. I have change user-settings-openbox and i have test them in a virtualbox installation.
We have to go with a release. But we have to choose the file manager. PcmanFM works fine with no bugs.
Well, tell me what do you suggest spacefm or pcmanfm and i will prepare the isos.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

After another read of your post i understand you prefer spacefm for now since we are on rc2.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

For information.
I did a lot of tests with pcmanfm in an installation on virtualbox. Pcmafm cannot play mp3 files on samba shares with exaile and whaawmp. Both stick and cannot close.
Now i remember why i have chosen spacefm. Which is fine except the bug because we do not have root on salix.
Just one damn "Edit as Root" bug remain. To edit the code is a nightmare.

Except of this bug, spacefm is working fine.
posixru

Post by posixru »

djemos wrote:Just one damn "Edit as Root" bug remain. To edit the code is a nightmare.
Except of this bug, spacefm is working fine.
Why complicate your life? (KISS?) I did so:

ImageImageImage
Image This is just for me! Other users do not need it!
gapan wrote:I will let you figure out why this doesn't make sense.
A long time in appearance with Zenwalk Netpkg I had problems, this decision prompted to help. At the moment, for Ubuntu & Synaptic is very much in demand, I know from my own experience, as in Arch Linux for GUI pacman / yaourt is true ... For Salix right now probably be as follows:

sudo ln -s ~/.fonts /usr/share/fonts

sudo ln -s ~/.icons /usr/share/icons

sudo ln -s ~/.themes /usr/share/themes
Or I do not understand anything? Image
zAchAry

Post by zAchAry »

I guess gapan suggests that the directories in question do not exist in $HOME/ directory, thus your proposed shortcuts are invalid. On the other hand, maybe your suggestion would be valid if these directories would be included in /etc/skel/.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

RC3 is here