Salix Live Xfce 14.1 beta1

mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: Salix Live Xfce 14.1 beta1

Post by mimosa »

Persistence won't work with the dd method, because there is no writable partition on the stick, just the image.
Atip

Post by Atip »

jsalpha2 wrote:
Just mount iso image and copy everything to usb. Then cd to boot/syslinux folder on usb and run sudo sh install_on_usb.sh script to make the usb bootable.
This one: salixlive-xfce-14.1-64-beta1.iso MD5 matched

Tried this way and got "usr/bin/startx: line198:can not create tempfile for here document: permission denied :
and ...................... "usr/bin/startx: line215:can not create tempfile for here document: permission denied "
This is the exact error I get from Slackel-Live-KDE 64 bit if I try to boot with Persistent. USB stick
was installed with UNetbootin. There is a persistent partition with several directories like /home/one
which has a file "sh-thd-1065741026" with content:
"add :0 . 9a7b2893306c1ae7e54d75a9a9484a34" w/o quotes.

That is X will not open when booting with Persistent.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I created a fat32 partition occupying the whole stick and copied over the files, then executed the boot-on-USB.sh script. That part must have worked because I get as far as the initial menu. But Salix then fails to boot, with messages saying it is unable to find any directories or /foo/bar/union/sbin/init, etc.

What I did:

Code: Select all

mkdir sdb1 iso
sudo mount -o loop /tmp/salixlive-xfce-14.1-64-beta1.iso iso
sudo mount /dev/sdb1 sdb1
rsync -av iso/ sdb1
cd sdb1/boot/syslinux
sudo ./install-on-USB.sh
All files are executable, so I didn't have the trouble I've had before with not being able to run the script.

This is the same stick and the same image that I successfully booted from using dd.

md5sum:
044466be4d7cfba4e1fa38f75a16f1eb /tmp/salixlive-xfce-14.1-64-beta1.iso

I tried booting with persistence and normally, no difference. Since others have got further than this, it looks like user error or a local problem - any ideas?
jsalpha2

Post by jsalpha2 »

Booted over to Windows and tried the install_on_USB.cmd and got
ikke

Post by ikke »

mimosa wrote:Since others have got further than this, it looks like user error or a local problem - any ideas?
Did my own "poor man's install" without any problem, since I am booting from a pre-installed grub legacy.

Guess the problems you and others have is the result of the new way of making LiveCDs. "./install-on-USB.sh/com" were made bij JRD for the previous "SALT" system not for the new "SLM" system.

I got also a problem since with SALT there was a separate Salixlive directory containing ao the /modules and /option directories. Now these directories are under /boot.

Hope this makes you think...
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

I had to edit my earlier post reporting that I successfully did a uefi boot. I checked it out again and notice that my desktop system uses CMS mode, which allows booting into either UEFI or legacy mode. I am starting to think that there is a problem with the recent salix iso's as I cannot get a usb sticks to uefi boot on both my laptop and desktop.
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

ikke wrote:
mimosa wrote:Since others have got further than this, it looks like user error or a local problem - any ideas?
Did my own "poor man's install" without any problem, since I am booting from a pre-installed grub legacy.

Guess the problems you and others have is the result of the new way of making LiveCDs. "./install-on-USB.sh/com" were made bij JRD for the previous "SALT" system not for the new "SLM" system.

I got also a problem since with SALT there was a separate Salixlive directory containing ao the /modules and /option directories. Now these directories are under /boot.

Hope this makes you think...
install_on_usb.sh has changes to work with SLM as you call it. If you were examine the code you could see that.
Look for $/mntdir/boot/liveboot file.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

mimosa wrote:I created a fat32 partition occupying the whole stick and copied over the files, then executed the boot-on-USB.sh script. That part must have worked because I get as far as the initial menu. But Salix then fails to boot, with messages saying it is unable to find any directories or /foo/bar/union/sbin/init, etc.

What I did:

Code: Select all

mkdir sdb1 iso
sudo mount -o loop /tmp/salixlive-xfce-14.1-64-beta1.iso iso
sudo mount /dev/sdb1 sdb1
rsync -av iso/ sdb1
cd sdb1/boot/syslinux
sudo ./install-on-USB.sh
All files are executable, so I didn't have the trouble I've had before with not being able to run the script.

This is the same stick and the same image that I successfully booted from using dd.

md5sum:
044466be4d7cfba4e1fa38f75a16f1eb /tmp/salixlive-xfce-14.1-64-beta1.iso

I tried booting with persistence and normally, no difference. Since others have got further than this, it looks like user error or a local problem - any ideas?

You don't do it as i told.

1. copy everything from iso image to usb.
2. enter into usb boot/syslinux folder
3. sudo sh install_on_usb.sh
4. cd ~/
5. umount usb
6. reboot and boot with usb

on step 3 also use sudo sh bootinst.sh. This is also working and i prefer it than install_on_usb.

I have checked these scripts they are working.
I did not checked install_on_USB.cmd and bootinst.bat because i don't have a window system.
Try both under windows and report.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

laprjns wrote:I had to edit my earlier post reporting that I successfully did a uefi boot. I checked it out again and notice that my desktop system uses CMS mode, which allows booting into either UEFI or legacy mode. I am starting to think that there is a problem with the recent salix iso's as I cannot get a usb sticks to uefi boot on both my laptop and desktop.
I did not checked usb sticks with uefi as i don't have a system. But they are working fine on legacy mode.
But since iso image boot on uefi and usb frugal install has the same usb might working. But i cannot tell.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

jsalpha2 wrote:Booted over to Windows and tried the install_on_USB.cmd and got
this is strange since there is install_syslinux batch label.