Salix Live Xfce 14.1 beta1

mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: Salix Live Xfce 14.1 beta1

Post by mimosa »

djemos, that made no difference. Also, as I said above, it doesn't look to me as though the problem is with the script, because I get as far as the initial boot option menu. The trouble starts after decompressing the kernel.

I presume the reason for unmounting the stick before rebooting is to make sure data is synced. It would be tidier (and give users one less thing to think about) if this could be done by the script.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

mimosa wrote:djemos, that made no difference. Also, as I said above, it doesn't look to me as though the problem is with the script, because I get as far as the initial boot option menu. The trouble starts after decompressing the kernel.

I presume the reason for unmounting the stick before rebooting is to make sure data is synced. It would be tidier (and give users one less thing to think about) if this could be done by the script.
The script is working. Both scripts are working on 32 and 64 bit(install_on_usb.sh and bootinst.sh). I have checked them in many slackel iso images.
So maybe is the iso image. I will check it.
Try also the 32 bit image and see if it is working there.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

mimosa wrote:On boot, user is asked to select language, which also defines the keyboard. But the keyboard should be a separate step. For example, I might have a Brazilian Portuguese keyboard, but want UK locale. In this case, I have a UK laptop, chose English language, and I have got US keyboard layout, which is different from UK. Pipe comes out as >.

In my view this keyboard selection should include all possible options, as in the classic installer, not just a selection of some common ones. There are several for each language, and it makes a big difference. Especially for users not using persistence, fixing this manually after boot is an unacceptable hassle.
syslinux does not support variables. So this cannot be done. There are so many options (greek with english keyboard or french, portugal with english keyboard etc)
users choose their locale and boot. Just two keyboard hits. If someone wants english with uk keyboard can press TAB and change keymap=us to keymap=uk.
I don't like many menus user has to walk just to boot a live iso. It is too complex for me.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

For the less experienced users who are a key part fo the audience for a Linux Live, in my view, that is too complex. It need not be done in a way that the user has to walk through the choice - just an option to set a different keyboard layout if desired. I do see this would mean not using syslinux, but the ground has been prepared for that. It would also then be possible to give more flexibility in other respects.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

mimosa wrote:For the less experienced users who are a key part fo the audience for a Linux Live, in my view, that is too complex. It need not be done in a way that the user has to walk through the choice - just an option to set a different keyboard layout if desired. I do see this would mean not using syslinux, but the ground has been prepared for that. It would also then be possible to give more flexibility in other respects.
I looked at this. I cannot do it. I do not know how.
If you mean the old grub boot style. The ground is not prepared. It is complete different.
This is more simple. Just menus. No compilation.
May other distro's do the same.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

I am writing this from salixlive-xfce-14.1-64 bit installed on usb. (moutn cd, copy everything to usb, cd boot/syslinux, run sudo sh install_on_usb.sh, umount and boot.
Laptop has no uefi/efi.
So 64bit iso image is OK. It is a HP g62 64 bit laptop.
install_on_usb is working.

On another 64bit laptop (lenovo g510 with radeon graphic card). This was a freedos new laptop with no operating system. No windows. I have installed linux on it.
Booting with usb get a message "UEFi/EFI usb blocked for security." Something like this.
I enabled legacy mode and usb booted. But did not show anything when come to X. This is a lenovo laptop with amd/radeon graphic card. So it has to do with it.

So user has to enable legacy mode to boot with usb.

Edit: I successfully booted on X on lenovo g510 64bit from usb, choosing from menus acpi=off.
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

I can confirm that a SalixLive DVD does uefi boot. Burnt the ISO to a DVD and was presented with a UEFI boot option when I rebooted the systems. Booted into SalixLive via elilo without problems. I can also confirm that the Live iso dd'ed to a usb stick will not uefi boot; only boots in legacy mode. I don't know much about making a Live iso, but from my googling I suspect that the iso image was not built using the --uefi option of the isohybrid command.

Once I was booted into SalixLive via the DVD, I was able to make a uefi bootable Live install on a usb stick using the SLI gui. Also did a hard disk install. Both booted up via uefi and elilo without problems.
djemos wrote:Booting with usb get a message "UEFi/EFI usb blocked for security
I suspect that Secure Boot option is turn on in your firmware (aka BIOS). This can be turn off by going into the setup menu, usually pressing a function key or ESC key righ after power up the system. not sure what key Lenovo uses. My ASUS laptiop uses the ESC key, but my desktop, which has a MSI motherboard requires pressing F11.
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

thank you very much laprjns.
So installer is working fine with uefi on hd and on usb.
i suspect that the iso image was not built using the --uefi option of the isohybrid command.
Yes. I will work on it.
Thanks again.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

laprjns can you please do this on iso image?

Code: Select all

sudo isohybrid --uefi salixlive-xfce-14.1-64-beta1.iso
Then use dd to install on usb and boot on uefi.
If it works i will work on install_on_usb.sh and bootinst.sh
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

djemos wrote:laprjns can you please do this on iso image?

Code: Select all

sudo isohybrid --uefi salixlive-xfce-14.1-64-beta1.iso
Then use dd to install on usb and boot on uefi.
If it works i will work on install_on_usb.sh and bootinst.sh
It worked! After using isohybrid with the --uefi option I dd'ed the resulting iso on a usb stick. I then eas able to boot in both uefi and legacy mode from this stick.
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"