SalixLive XFCE 14.1 beta2

kynix

Re: SalixLive XFCE 14.1 beta2 JRE

Post by kynix »

Is there any Good Reason to have (a oudated) openjre package version 7u51 on SalixLive? LibreOffice by example works well and starts faster after disabling the option 'Use java runtime environment' .So what is the java dinosaur good for on a (enduser) desktop?
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Re: SalixLive XFCE 14.1 beta2

Post by laprjns »

djemos wrote:About elilo.conf and message.msg. I can see how it looks but i dont test it because i dont have an uefi system.
i created these reading /usr/doc/elilo-3.14/examples/textmenu_chooser/
So you can help on this :-)
Yes i can help. I did some testing last night and plan to some more this coming weekend. It appears that there are two many boot options in your elilo.conf file. I cut the number of option down to four and got a menu that worked, but the menu box that was created uisng your message.msg has formatting issues and did not look very good. I replaced the message.msg file with the stock message.msg in /usr/doc/elilo/examples. This worked well, resulting in a properly formatted menu with a scroll box in the center where you could scroll through the various boot options. After a bit of trial and error I was able to determine that it would only work with a maximum of 15 boot options, any more and the menu box would just scroll through and did not format correctly.

So I've got some more work to do, but it does work as long as there a limited number of boot options.
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

kynix, this Live will be (as far as possible) the same as stock Salix 14.1. That is just how Salix (and SLackware) works: except where absolutely neessary, packages are upgraded once per release cycle. The big upside of this for users is stability. If you keep upgrading packages, it breaks other packages.

So this is Salix 14.1 plus the Live environment and tools.
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

djemos, here' s a candidate elilo boot menu.
elilo, like lilo is limited to 15 boot options, so I edited the elilo.config file to remove all the boot options after the first 15. Will need to determine how many and which ones to include.
You can pass kernel argument to the boot option by typing them in the text box at the bottom. I tried the "changes=persistent" argument with the English boot option and persistent worked without problems. Of course you have to pass the argument at every boot up.
Note there are two function keys, F1 and F2. They both work, just need to determine what needs to go in the message file. I think one could have a list of kernel options. What do you think?
Here are the files that i used to create the menu http://people.salixos.org/laprjns/elilo%20boot%20menu/
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

laprjns: or anyone who has uefi system download this small 16MB iso and boot on uefi. Do not proceed on booting kernel. It does not include any modules. Just tell me if menus are shown under uefi. It uses grub and syslinux menus. http://people.salixos.org/djemos/test-i ... stgrub.iso

And another with only grub. You see grub menus on boot. I think this is better on booting. http://people.salixos.org/djemos/test-i ... regrub.iso
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

laprjns wrote: Note there are two function keys, F1 and F2. They both work, just need to determine what needs to go in the message file. I think one could have a list of kernel options. What do you think?
Here are the files that i used to create the menu http://people.salixos.org/laprjns/elilo%20boot%20menu/
F2 can has a list of parameters, as boot with persistent change=persistent, acpi=off.
F1 can inform user that he can press F2 to see boot parameters and type them in the text box at the bottom.

so since everything has been tested we can release rc1 with lilo.

As you can read bellow i also create iso changing the build-slackware-script and SLI which now has a progress bar and install grub. I have test it on 32bit on virtual box and is working fine.
So this can be used for next live iso.
To use it now we can test live iso again. booting on uefi and installation on hd.

tell me what you think. 1. go with rc1 release wth elilo ? or
2. test liveiso with grub?
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I haven't seen either (no UEFI here), but if you think grub is better (as you said above) then maybe we should try and do it that way. It sounds as though elilo is rather clunky - it works, but it is ugly and not very flexible.
kynix

Post by kynix »

Yes! Test LIVE-ISO WITH GRUB will be fine