Salix Live Mate 14.1 BETA2

djemos
Salix Warrior

Salix Live Mate 14.1 BETA2

Post by djemos »

You can download the Salix Live MATE 14.1 BETA2 using the iso images found in our Sourceforge project page:

Salix Live Mate 14.1 beta2 (32-bit, i686)
(size: 852 MB, md5: 7d5163e9044a9ad06e4d7b1fcacb8f6e)
Sourceforge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/f ... o/download

Salix64 Live Mate 14.1 beta2 (64-bit, x86_64)
(size: 859 MB, md5: 0ff659cc232f02af71ab0598c1a2af35)
Sourceforge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/f ... o/download

Thank you again for your time and tests.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: Salix Live Mate 14.1 BETA2

Post by mimosa »

I just posted a lot of nonsense, if anyone read it - the install script now seems to be working fine (I will reboot to confirm).

However it does have one peculiarity, which is that the partition is created as sdb4 (sda has partitions sda1 and sda3). This doesn't matter, and may well be safer! Except ....

EDIT

Persistent file was succesfuly created during installation. But not when I delete it and make a new one:

Code: Select all

mount: special device /dev/sdb1 does not exist
Creating persistent file 'persistent'. Please wait ...
[...]
The persistent file persistent is ready.
umount: /mnt/install: not mounted
rmdir: failed to remove ‘/mnt/install’: Directory not empty
mimosa[~]$ ls /mnt/install/
persistent
The problem seems to be it is looking for sdb1, but the partition was created as sdb4! And it works if persistence is created on installation (the script may remember the correct partition name), but not subsequently.

EDIT2

If line 463 of the script is changed, it works (however, still get the /mnt/install error, because an earlier perssitent file (of a different size) is still there; this should presumably be emptied by the script):

463               partitionnumber=4
... and now I notice just a few lines below, that is what line 466 says! And this appears to be for the EFI case. So I hypothesize that the script thinks this is a UEFI machine, and yet, did not in fact create the other three partitions on the stick ...

The machine is a hacked Chromebook.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

If script is running to install on usb the 32 bit iso image then partitionnumber=4 created with other three null partitions sdb1, sdb2, sdb3 (i assume that usb is /dev/sdb device)
And has to be like this otherwise usb is not bootable and readable at all. This has been checked.
In this case copy the live system on /dev/sdb4 for example

If script is running to install the 64bit iso then partitionnumber=1
In this case copy the live system on /dev/sdb1 for example

In both cases i create a persistent file during installation.
then i delete the persistent file and recreated

sudo sh install_on_usb.sh --persistent 32 /dev/sdb
or

sudo sh install_on_usb.sh --persistent 64 /dev/sdb
In both cases persistent created ok. No errors.

I found a typo which has nothing to do with the persistent. I just umount the device since will be mounted later.
So i changed lines 148, 149 to

flag=*
for n in $installmedia$flag ; do umount $n > /dev/null 2>&1; done
But i say if these lines commented persistent created fine.

The new script is install_on_usb.sh

how i do it

sudo mkdir /tmp/iso

sudo mount -o loop /tmp/salixlive64-mate-14.1-beta2.iso /tmp/iso 
or

sudo mount -o loop /tmp/salixlive-mate-14.1-beta2.iso /tmp/iso 

cd /tmp/iso/boot
sudo sh install_on_usb.sh --usb /tmp/salixlive64-mate-14.1-beta2.iso /dev/sdb
or

sudo sh install_on_usb.sh --usb /tmp/salixlive-mate-14.1-beta2.iso /dev/sdb

cd ~/
sudo umount /tmp/iso
If someone copy the script to ~/ folder for example and run the script from there it is also working.

Edit: After i install in usb on 64 bit and create a persistent file, booted with usb and typed changes=persistent on boot line under the menu.
After bootted on mate desktop, set up WiFi and installed multimedia codecs. Played some videos on YouTube with Firefox and played also some mp3 files. Rebooted ( i have to type changes=persistent, for 64 bit this has to be done on every boot) and here i am writing this from salixlive64-mate running from usb.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

With the new script, I successfully installed both architectures (the beta2 images), and created persistence.

Firefox has the Mozilla search page as its homepage, rather than the Salix page.

I still can't make sense of the video app, which has no obvious way of opening a file (except to double-click on it in the file manager).

It's very sluggish on this hacked Chromebook with 2GB RAM and no swap, but I suppose that's only to be expected.

It would be nice if there were an option to 'save boot options' (though I think the last time this was possible was 13.37) so you don't have to keep selecting the language. And are there separate options for keyboard and locale? I can't remember, but I have a feeling not, and that's something that's often needed, for instance, you are using a US keyboard in Germany and you want German locale.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

mimosa wrote:Firefox has the Mozilla search page as its homepage, rather than the Salix page.
That is OK. The search engine that is being used is the Salix DDG.
mimosa wrote:I still can't make sense of the video app, which has no obvious way of opening a file (except to double-click on it in the file manager).
Totem? Video/Open from the menu. Or drag a file on it...
mimosa wrote:It's very sluggish on this hacked Chromebook with 2GB RAM and no swap, but I suppose that's only to be expected.
I suppose so. I found it cannot get into X at all in a VM with only 1GB RAM.
mimosa wrote:It would be nice if there were an option to 'save boot options' (though I think the last time this was possible was 13.37) so you don't have to keep selecting the language. And are there separate options for keyboard and locale? I can't remember, but I have a feeling not, and that's something that's often needed, for instance, you are using a US keyboard in Germany and you want German locale.
Well, that would present another problem then: having too many options before you actually get to boot. For the live session, at least for the first boot without persistence, the keyboard layout is guessed from the locale. That should do for most people. You can always use persistence and change it to whatever you want after first boot.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Well, that would present another problem then: having too many options before you actually get to boot.
In earlier versions (I'm not sure off the top of my head which) it was handled quite elegantly: the first menu chooses language, the second menu includes an option to change the keyboard (so you don't have to go through this step unless it is relevant to you), and also another to save language / keyboard / persistence options for future boots. The latter may not be possible any more (my memory is hazy at this remove) but I imagine the former (having an item in the main menu that takes you to a keyboard selection submenu) could be done. Or maybe it's not technically possible to have a submenu from which you are returned to the main one after making your selection?

But you're right, these are not critical issues. It's looking good!
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

The big advantage is that there is no need of creating a live kernel. The same kernel is used as in installation iso's. And also on 32bit images include pae and non-pae kernels for very old pc's.
User boot with one hit of keyboard on 64 uefi and two on 64 and 32 bios. Not going through menus.
Choosing the keyboard locale is also setting automatically. User can use persistence form more.
Too many options on menus is confusing. Live iso's has to be simple boot.
I have a 32bit salixlive xfce 14.1 on a 16GB usb with 2GB persistence to run on every pc with many programs installed. You can even upgrade the kernel. It is like to use an installed system. I always carried with me. In many cases it was very useful for friends to save data of broken windows pc's.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Ah, yes the livekernel, I remember now!

I have another suggestion (for reducing keystrokes): suppose booting with persistence were the default? If no persistent file is found, it boots without it. The second menu option could be to boot with no persistence, in case you wanted to even though it has been created.

If I have persistence, I almost always want to boot with it.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

mimosa wrote:Ah, yes the livekernel, I remember now!

I have another suggestion (for reducing keystrokes): suppose booting with persistence were the default? If no persistent file is found, it boots without it. The second menu option could be to boot with no persistence, in case you wanted to even though it has been created.

If I have persistence, I almost always want to boot with it.
No. Because if you boot with persistence option for the first time then a persistent will be created and booting will be very long.
It is better as it is now. User create a persistent file, when he wants to. It is up to him to make the decision.