Salix Live Mate 14.1 RC1

djemos
Salix Warrior

Re: Salix Live Mate 14.1 RC1

Post by djemos »

There is no difference in creating persistence on slackel openbox and on salix xfce or salix mate flavors.
The only difference is the kernel used to boot and of cource new packages included in Slackware current. So this new kernel is better supported your system hardware. This is the logic explanation you don't have problems with persistent on slackel openbox.
Persistent file can be up to 3998 MB because usb is vfat formatted to be able to be used under windows machines also.
I have a 16GB usb where i have installed salix live mate 14.1 rc1 and have a 3998 MB persistent. System always boot with no problem. System has 4GB memory. I have also tested booting on a desktop system with windows 7 at school with 2GB of memory with no problem also.

Anyway there is nothing else to be done on salix live mate 14.1 rc1. As i see there are no problems.
So George please when you have time rename the rc1 isos on sourceforge and write the announcement.
And grub package on package submissions have to upgraded on repos so users will not receive a message to downgrade grub.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Agreed. This will be the final release sometime this weekend. Thanks djemos!
Atip

Post by Atip »

mimosa wrote:I also often have similar problems with persistence (not just for this edition, generally), though I do have one USB where it works well. Maybe that was based on Slackel Openbox too? I have Ratpoison as WM on it, so I'm not sure.

Atip, how large a persistent file did you create? How much RAM do you have?

When testing this Mate beta, I created small persistent files (under 1 GB). This machine has 4GB RAM.
I choose the smallest persistent 100 MB.

I have a total of 2 Gig RAM.

Now I just found that the USB stick is empty. Must have happend on last hang. :-D :-D :-D

Code: Select all

$ ls -l /media/LIVE
total 0
elcore

Post by elcore »

It's missing some gtk2 engines and it complains about the lack of GNOME icon theme, but nothing major as far as I can tell.
Easy to check, just open settings in live, change themes, and it will report what is missing.
Not using MATE though, just wanted to take a quick look.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

mate-colors-icon-theme is included in salix live mate packages. There are many more icon themes to be used but they are not needed. They just make the iso size bigger. User can install the theme he likes after installation or using persistence.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Atip, it would be interesting to try the same stick on a different box (though perhaps you would need to create a new persistence, or even reinstall).

Djemos's theory of hardware unsupported by the kernel seems plausible to me - I often find myself using unusual, newish, somewhat lowend machines.
Atip

Post by Atip »

mimosa wrote:Atip, it would be interesting to try the same stick on a different box (though perhaps you would need to create a new persistence, or even reinstall).

Djemos's theory of hardware unsupported by the kernel seems plausible to me - I often find myself using unusual, newish, somewhat lowend machines.
I now installed on the same stick slackellive-openbox-6.0.4.1.iso and have managed to boot with
peristent 3 times sucessfully. :-). When booting there is a complain that that the stick was not
properly unmounted and asks to run fsck. This I did now each time. May be that's the trick. :?:

Persistent does not keep the set timezone and reverts back to GMT on each boot like in Mate Live.