SalixLive MATE 14.1

gapan
Salix Wizard

SalixLive MATE 14.1

Post by gapan »

We are very happy to announce the release of Salix Live MATE 14.1! This might seem a bit late in the 14.1 series, but all the work needed for it was already done and we thought why not? Of course, it includes the MATE desktop and compared to our previous Live release, featuring the Xfce desktop, this includes several improvements, mainly with the Live Installer.

This release is available for both 32-bit and 64-bit systems. The 32-bit iso includes support for both PAE and non-PAE capable systems. The 64-bit iso supports UEFI/EFI systems as well.

The software included in this release, mirrors that present in a standard Salix MATE 14.1 release as closely as possible, so there are no surprises there. The full collection of Salix System Administration tools is of course also included.

The new version of the Salix Live Installer includes the following improvements:
- It now supports many filesystems (ext2, ext3, ext4, btrfs, xfs, jfs, reiserfs).
- You can choose between grub and (e)Lilo boot loaders. Grub is default.
- You can use a different partition for /home
- You can find and add Windows partitions in grub.cfg. Note that if you use eLilo as your bootloader, you will not be able to boot Windows partitions.

For users installing in UEFI/EFI GPT partitions, if a GPT partition table does not exist, will have to be created using GParted running from the Live System. The following partitions should be created:
- the first partition has to be at least 300MB and use the FAT32 filesystem
- the second partition has to be a Linux partition of any type. NOTE: if you choose grub then the partition cannot be in xfs filesystem because system will not boot after installation, as grub does not support xfs properly. If you want to use xfs as your filesystem you must also use the eLilo boot loader.
- you can optionally add a third partition for /home
- and of course a swap partition
- Important! Before proceeding with the installation you must flag the first FAT32 partition as bootable. You can also do this using GParted.

If you want to transfer the live iso to a USB stick, make sure you read the instructions in this README.

This is definitely going to be the last release on the 14.1 series, as development will soon shift towards the next stable release.

For users that would like to see what this release looks like before even downloading it, two videos that go through the installation and a short showcase of the live system, for the 32-bit and 64-bit release respectively, are also available from the following links:
Salix Live Mate 14.1 32 bit - Installation and review
Salix Live Mate 14.1 64 bit UEFI/EFI - Installation and review

So, you can download this release either from Sourceforge, or with your favorite torrent client using the following links:

Salix Live MATE 14.1 (32-bit, i686)
(size: 852 MB, md5: 96bed0f465c266850fd105a2eec940e1)
Sourceforge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/f ... o/download
torrent: http://salix.enialis.net/i486/14.1/iso/ ... so.torrent

Salix64 Live MATE 14.1 (64-bit, x86_64)
(size: 859 MB, md5: aaae8e170d477a3602a3d6f7222d0b3b)
Sourceforge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/f ... o/download
torrent: http://salix.enialis.net/x86_64/14.1/is ... so.torrent

A great thanks to djemos for doing all the hard work for this release and working on our Live releases in general!

Enjoy!
ikke

Re: SalixLive MATE 14.1

Post by ikke »

Thank you. Nice Live ISO. Excellent job!!
tessi

Post by tessi »

Thank you!
Papasot
Donor

Post by Papasot »

Looks great and, although I'll stick with the Salix xfce version, the new installer is more than welcome.

I wonder what that 23Mb of unallocated space in the video is for though. A round-off of the requested space for sda2 and sda3?

Also, do you think Mate would be more lightweight compared to Xfce? My Netbook is the only computer I own and still doesn't have Salix/Slackel installed. Given the limited hardware, I was thinking about the Openbox or Ratpoison version (the latter being a different philosophy but tiling window managers exist for a reason). However, Mate might be an option as well, as long it's less demanding than the (already lightweight) Xfce.
A pleasant detail in this forum: several people pick a picture of their pet as their avatar. Who am I to do otherwise? ;-)
burdi01

Post by burdi01 »

Good gracious: About Mate shows 1.8.1, whereas the current Mate release is 1.12 ...
:mrgreen:
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Papasot, XFCE is probably a better bet for a lightweight system, though Maté is surprisingly responsive even on slower machines. Whichever edition you install, you can always add a WM such as Ratpoison and either select it in GDM or boot into runlevel three (as in the last Ratpoison edition) and change .xinitrc accordingly.
TiMark

Post by TiMark »

Papseasot wrote:Looks great and, although I'll stick with the Salix xfce version, the new installer is more than welcome.

I wonder what that 23Mb of unallocated space in the video is for though. A round-off of these Bathmate reviews requested space for sda2 and sda3?

Also, do you think Mate would be more lightweight compared to Xfce? My Netbook is the only computer I own and still doesn't have Salix/Slackel installed. Given the limited hardware, I was thinking about the Openbox or Ratpoison version (the latter being a different philosophy but tiling window managers exist for a reason). However, Mate might be an option as well, as long it's less demanding than the (already lightweight) Xfce.
Is there much of a difference in cpu usage between Mate and XFCE? My pc is getting old now and I'm using XFCE, maybe Mate would be better if it's more lightweight?
Last edited by TiMark on 13. May 2016, 18:42, edited 2 times in total.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

If anything, xfce is lighter. If you want to go really light, there are also fluxbox and openbox editions of Salix 14.1.

Installation takes five to ten minutes, so I'd suggest trying xfce (or mate, if you prefer it, as there probably isn't a huge difference). If either of those is really too slow, try *box - just install it in place of the other one.

Please be sure to have a look at the Salix Startup Guide, link on homepage.
jsfarinet

Post by jsfarinet »

Just out of curiousity: Will there be any time soon a slwackware 14.2 based version of Mate? I'd like that pretty much.

Otherwise, if not, would it be reasonable to install Mate starting from the basic slackware 14.2 - and would there be any obstacles to "convert" such an installation to a Salix Mate?

Or: Is it possible to install Salix Xfce 14.2 and then change the desktop (install Mate instead of Xfce)? Or is that too simplicist thinking?

Thanks a lot in advance for your patience.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

The best option for now is the final one you mention:

Code: Select all

sudo slapt-get --install-set mate
then just select Mate at login (assuming all is well, you can then make it the default if you wish).

This question was asked recently I think, so you may find fuller information by searching the forum.

EDIT This is not recommended if you are using Live, which I now see was the original title of this thread. It would probably have been better to make a new one ...