Salix Xfce 14.2alpha1

jsalpha2

Re: Salix Xfce 14.2alpha1

Post by jsalpha2 »

My 64bit virtual install is fine now. Networking working, should have read the instructions. Did not get to do a real install yet.
jsalpha2

Post by jsalpha2 »

Trying to use Sourcery, getting error."There was an error while updating the Slackbuild cache. Make sure you have configured all sources properly."
Not sure what to do. How do I configure the sources?
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Edit /etc/slapt-get/slapt-srcrc, replacing 14.1 with 14.2. But you probably already did this. There isn't a 14.2 repo there yet,. so it doesn't work.
westms

Post by westms »

Hello everybody!

Did an installation Salix 64-xfce-14.2alpha1 on real hardware with AMD Sempron (one core). Nothing virtual. Pure BIOS system, no UEFI system. LILO boot.

The installation went smoothly. All subsequent boot processes ran without problems.

After manually start of NetworkManager, immaculate internet access took place on the LAN via ADSL router and ADSL modem.

After installation, leafpad does not start and generates the error message:
leafpad: error while loading shared libraries: libpng14.so.14: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
Failed to load module: /usr/lib64/gio/modules/libgiolibproxy.so

After the update by Gslapt, leafpad starts, but generates the error message:

libmozjs185.so.1.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Also Geany now generates this message. Do not know if this was even true before the update.

The find command generates noise, which is not caused on 14.1. With e.g.:
find / -name hosts
the following message is throwed out:

find: WARNING: Hard link count is wrong for '/proc/fs' (saw only st_nling=8 but we already saw 6 subdirectories): this may be a bug in your file system driver. Automatically turning on find's -noleaf option. Earlier results may have failed to include directories that should have been searched.

I do not know if that is at all of significance, to searching through /proc is already problematic.

PulseAudio could not be configured because no controls were selectable. I'd love to continue to use the Xfce Alsa mixer, anyway.

After the update via Gslapt, shutdown, using the gray door icon with the red arrow in the tray or using the suitable key command, is no longer possible. E.g. by selecting the door icon it initially takes about 40 seconds until something happens. Then the menu appears, in which the shutdown icon and the reboot icon are inactivated. Only the logout icon can be selected. After selecting it, the login screen appears as usual, and shutdown can be selected.
Last edited by westms on 18. Apr 2016, 15:31, edited 1 time in total.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Hi westms, thanks for testing!
westms wrote:libmozjs185.so.1.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
You need to install the js185 package. This is another known problem that I forgot to post in the first post.

Also Geany now generates this message. Do not know if this was even true before the update.
westms wrote: The find command generates noise, which is not caused on 14.1. With e.g.:
find / -name hosts
the following message is throwed out:

find: WARNING: Hard link count is wrong for '/proc/fs' (saw only st_nling=8 but we already saw 6 subdirectories): this may be a bug in your file system driver. Automatically turning on find's -noleaf option. Earlier results may have failed to include directories that should have been searched.

I do not know if that is at all of significance, to searching through /proc is already problematic.
Not sure about this one. Since /proc is not an actual filesystem, it's probably nothing.

westms wrote:PulseAudio could not be configured because no controls were selectable.
You also need to start the pulseaudio service.
westms wrote:I'd love to continue to use the Xfce Alsa mixer, anyway.
Not possible anymore. You'll have to use the pulseaudio mixer.
westms wrote:After the update via Gslapt, shutdown, using the gray door icon with the red arrow in the tray or using the suitable key command, is no longer possible. E.g. by selecting the door icon it initially takes about 40 seconds until something happens. Then the menu appears, in which the shutdown icon and the reboot icon are inactivated. Only the logout icon can be selected. After selecting it, the login screen appears as usual, and shutdown can be selected.
Try adding your user to the polkitd group. You'll need to logout/login for changes to take effect (or reboot).

It wouldn't hurt if you added the pulse group for pulseaudio either.
westms

Post by westms »

Hi gapan.
gapan wrote:Hi westms, thanks for testing!
Never mind! I'm just trying to give something back to you gapan and all others in the team, for the best small Linux distribution I've ever used.
gapan wrote:You need to install the js185 package.
I did then. The leafpad and geany messages are eliminated with this. The find command message about the /proc/fs has then no longer occurred.
gapan wrote:
westms wrote:I'd love to continue to use the Xfce Alsa mixer, anyway.
Not possible anymore. You'll have to use the pulseaudio mixer.
In this case, I like to tell, there are the files
/etc/rc.d/rc.alsa
/etc/rc.d/rc.alsa-oss
/usr/sbin/alsactl

The alsa service was enabled, too. But I could not find the load_alsa_mixer, which is called in rc.alsa. Probably, the ALSA residues could not disturb PulseAudio then, which were my concerns first.
gapan wrote:
westms wrote:After the update via Gslapt, shutdown, using the gray door icon with the red arrow in the tray or using the suitable key command, is no longer possible. E.g. by selecting the door icon it initially takes about 40 seconds until something happens. Then the menu appears, in which the shutdown icon and the reboot icon are inactivated. Only the logout icon can be selected. After selecting it, the login screen appears as usual, and shutdown can be selected.
Try adding your user to the polkitd group.
The polkitd group had no users assigned. I changed it to:
polkitd:x:87:user1
gapan wrote:It wouldn't hurt if you added the pulse group for pulseaudio either.
Not sure if you name this one:
audio:x:17:pulse,user1,user2

pulse and my both test users were already added by the installation / configuration process. (added)

After all, I can hear an almost indecent plopping when I move the volume slider. This probably means that the sound device is recognized correctly and is usable.

Further tests and findings:

I have an old flatbed scanner with Genesys Logic GL646 chipset. Sane and Simple Scan were already installed. I installed XSane too.
sane-find-scanner, scanimage -L, XSane and Simple Scan are working very well. Also GIMP works by xscanimage very well.

-

I tried to set up a printer, but failed. The CUPS functionality probably requires JavaScript, which is not available yet. Am I right so perhaps?

In /var/log/cups/error_log I got the error messages:
E [19/Apr/2016:19:43:33 +0200] [Client 13] Returning HTTP Forbidden for CUPS-Get-Devices (no URI) from localhost
E [19/Apr/2016:19:43:33 +0200] [CGI] CUPS-Get-Devices request failed with status 401: Forbidden

/etc/cups/cups-files.conf has a line with:
SystemGroup sys root

-

A click on the icon of the desktop link launcher salix-online.desktop gives the message:
"Untrusted link launcher
The desktop file »salix-online.desktop« is in an insecure location and not marked as executable. If you do not trust this program, click Cancel."

The same happens for salix-irc-support.desktop.

The execute permissions of both files are not set. Setting the bits looks like the remedy.
For my test I used:
chmod u+x salix-online.desktop salix-irc-support.desktop

-

Finally, a difficult to explain behavior.
For the optical drive with mounted medium there are now two menu items in the context menu of the drive symbol, which relate to the file system and medium. Unmount, and Eject. The optical drive in my test computer can handle DVD-RAM discs. My DVD-RAM media are formatted with the UDF file system, the other media usually with ISO-9660. Unlike all other disk types to eject the DVD-RAM behaves incorrectly.

If the DVD-RAM is mounted, and ejection is selected from the context menu of the icon, then the remaining data is still updated and the medium then unmounted. The medium is then discharged from mtab also. But the drive does not stop, however, and the drawer / tray is of course not pushed out.

Searched around and following found out: The drive stops spinning and push out the drawer when on desktop the icon for the file system or the icon for the personal folder is opened, and from the sidebar, the Eject symbol for the optical drive is selected. Also the drive stops and shows the drawer when the button on the drive front panel is pressed.

With other words and shorter: The Eject symbol from the context menu of the drive icon does not eject DVD-RAM media. For all other types of optical discs the drive stops spinning and eject the drawer immediately, as expected.

This behavior is new. In Salix 14.1 and older versions, it does not exist.

I wrote above, Unmount and Eject. The real terms might be slightly different. Unfortunately, I have not installed in English and now needs to transfer constantly from my language into English. That I'll change.
ghostdawg

Post by ghostdawg »

mimosa wrote:Edit /etc/slapt-get/slapt-srcrc, replacing 14.1 with 14.2.
If I want to switch from running 14.1, just edit and change the lines to 14.2? Is that all I would need to do besides run slapt-get -udate & upgrade?

Thnx.
Dell Optiplex 760 | Quad-Core | 4gb | 250gb | Salix-14.2 - Xfce4 & Openbox
HP DX5150 AMD64 | 1.5gb | 40gb | SalixOS-13.0 - Xfce4
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

No. Instructions are on the wiki. But this is an alpha release, not ready for general use yet. The post you're quoting from was just about what to do with Sourcery (not slapt-get or Gslapt) assuming you're already running the alpha. But it doesn't even work yet, because there is no SlackBuilds 14.2 repo - at least not as far as I know.

Your best bet is probably to stay with 14.1 for now.
ghostdawg

Post by ghostdawg »

Ok, I'll stick with 14.1...Thanks
Dell Optiplex 760 | Quad-Core | 4gb | 250gb | Salix-14.2 - Xfce4 & Openbox
HP DX5150 AMD64 | 1.5gb | 40gb | SalixOS-13.0 - Xfce4