Salix Xfce 14.2beta1

mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: Salix Xfce 14.2beta1

Post by mimosa »

What is this cgmanager thing? Sometimes it seems to mount a little partition for itself, presumably in RAM. Not there this morning, and I can't reproduce it.
GeBruns
Donor

Post by GeBruns »

I got a brand new machine:
- ASUS Z170-A mainboard with newest BIOS
- Intel Core i7-6700K
- 32 GB DDR4-RAM
- SSD for the system

Before installation I disabled UEFI and Secure Boot. After starting Salix64 beta1 installation from a USB drive I choose to use English language (US) for installation. The kernel began to boot but after three seconds a kernel panic occurred.

Are there any options I could try?

===

Well, I know this is not a Slackware forum but I thought this might be interesting too:

Next, I tried Slackware 14.2. I could install it without problems and I could boot the installation at first but the second boot ended up with a couple of error messages. I could read:

Code: Select all

...[drm:gen8_irq_handler [i915]] *ERROR* Fault errors on pipe A
Then, I deleted the GPT partition table and re-installed Slackware. And again, at first I could boot it successfully but at the second boot I got those errors.
Papasot
Donor

Post by Papasot »

I'm not sure about NetworkManager and Pulseaudio, actually I dislike them, and I don't want to use them. But I guess I'll find a way to get rid of them, and replace them with the corresponding tried-and-true applications used in 14.1.

Just a question, I have the 32- and 64-bit versions of Salix 14.2 alpha1 installed - just for testing purposes right now. I assume regular updates will keep me up-to-date? After updating alpha1 I'm still using wicd instead of networkManager, but I guess that's because the system configuration is still as in alpha1.
Installing the latest version for both 32- and 64-bit is not a big deal, but installing all the libraries I need and configuring everything to my liking can be quite time consuming.
A pleasant detail in this forum: several people pick a picture of their pet as their avatar. Who am I to do otherwise? ;-)
westms

Post by westms »

Hello,

when testing beta1 it can not find real problems. But some lint:

1. After I had installed Salix64 Xfce 14.2beta1 first time, I installed the multimedia codecs. It noticed that QT4 (qt-4.8.7-x86_64-4.txz) is on the list of selectable codecs and which is also installed. Is that intended?

Yesteray I replaced the previous beta1 installation and thereby omitted QT4. Cons I do not notice, what is not surprising of cource, since I do not use all the codecs.

2. There is a typo in a message text of operation "Aktualisiere lokalen Paket-Cache". In the message to action "Empfnage Paketdaten..." interchanged letters are contained. Correct is "Empfange Paketdaten...".

3. During the installation of the beta1 in German language, I noticed that some windows yet contain English texts. Then I checked Dutch, Swedish, Italian and French. Only for the Swedish language it seems, a full translation already exist (the non-German installations I always canceled after the disk partitioning). Probably the translation work is not finished yet. Should I at this time be more specific?

Will continue testing. Is there already a date for the next beta?

Good luck with the further work!
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

westms, if you'd like to contribute to the German-language translations, that would be great if you have time.

Network Manager does not autoconnect to a wireless signal I am now using. I think it did autoconnect to ethernet, before. I installed wicd and it does autoconnect.

I have got used to the fact that one needs to set up any new connection first in the Settings menu -> Network connections, and in this case I did tick the box asking to autoconnect, to no avail. This was counterintuitive to me at first and would be so I think for any user new to Network Manager, but I don't imagine there is anything to be done about it.

I have discovered nmcli, Network Manager's command line interface, but it isn't anywhere near as handy as wicd-curses. Is there anything like that? It might be useful to have in the repositories. I'm using Ratpoison at the moment (it's working well), and I'm launching an xfce sesssion to do anything network-related, including connecting in the first place. No doubt learning the ins and outs of nmcli would be character-forming, but I may leave it till my retirement.

The problems I reported some time ago with font rendering in certain situations are definitely hardware-related - my GPU is on the way out I think. So scrub that.
westms

Post by westms »

Hello,

some remarks on the testing of Salix64 Xfce 14.2beta1:

1 In .xsession-errors there are two warning messages:
"(xfce4-session:1096): xfce4-session-WARNING **: xfsm_manager_load_session: Something wrong with /home/westms/.cache/sessions/xfce4-session-darkstar:0, Does it exist? Permissions issue?"

The message is the whole thing between the two double quotes. In fact, there is no directory xfce4-session-darkstar:0 . There is only a directory thumbs-darkstar:0

2. Another message in .xsession-errors:
xscreensaver: 22:12:59: couldn't get password of "root"
Fehlgeschlagen: Modulinitialisierung fehlgeschlagen

The last line in English would be: "Failed: module initialization failed"

I am glad that such a screensaver does not receive the root password. But what is going on?

3. Something is wrong, because I see the following three lines at the boot screen:

darkstar login: swap               : ignored
/               : ignored
/mnt/floppy               : ignored
Only runlevels 3 and 4 are affected. Some seconds after reaching the runlevel, these three lines appear.

The filesystem table contains:

$ cat /etc/fstab 
/dev/sda2        swap             swap        defaults         0   0
/dev/sda1        /                ext4        defaults         1   1
/dev/sda3        /home            ext4        defaults         1   2
#/dev/cdrom      /mnt/cdrom       auto        noauto,owner,ro,comment=x-gvfs-show 0   0
/dev/fd0         /mnt/floppy      auto        noauto,users,rw,umask=00 0   0
devpts           /dev/pts         devpts      gid=5,mode=620   0   0
proc             /proc            proc        defaults         0   0
tmpfs            /dev/shm         tmpfs       defaults         0   0
$
westms

Post by westms »

mimosa wrote: I have discovered nmcli, Network Manager's command line interface, but it isn't anywhere near as handy as wicd-curses. Is there anything like that? It might be useful to have in the repositories. I'm using Ratpoison at the moment (it's working well), and I'm launching an xfce sesssion to do anything network-related, including connecting in the first place. No doubt learning the ins and outs of nmcli would be character-forming, but I may leave it till my retirement.
Please read this, it contains a very readable overview of nmcli with some practical examples and much more:
Using the NetworkManager Command Line Tool, nmcli
https://access.redhat.com/documentation ... nmcli.html

And for your German language ability: This article is written around practical examples. Two examples, one for LAN and one for WLAN, that will definitely help you:
Network-Manager auf der Kommandozeile
http://wiki.siduction.de/index.php?titl ... mandozeile

The best way would be to find out why NetworkManager does not want. NetworkManager writes to files messages and syslog in the /var/log. You can increase the logging level in the NetworkManager configuration. Perhaps the Network Manager is now broken configured then you might need a new NetworkManager installation, first.

I hope it helps a bit.
westms

Post by westms »

mimosa wrote:westms, if you'd like to contribute to the German-language translations, that would be great if you have time.
Hi mimosa and others,

right now I have the time, but I might not have enough knowledge about the Salix distribution.

In June 2015, I had registered with transifex. But could the leftover strings not translate because one have to see this in the overall context. For this, I was looking for the sources but could not find the corresponding source code immediately. As then came to occupational burdening, I gave up for lack of time. The account is apparently gone.

I have not yet re-registered and therefore does not know whether the texts in question are there.

Transifex says:
36 Project languages Source language
German 100% -- 0 strings to translate

It looks as though everything is translated. Only for SalixtoolsGTK are still translations into German possible.

22 Project languages
German 86% -- 22 strings to translate
(Perhaps these are exactly the texts that I saw a year ago.)

I am now rather surprised that still translations are necessary. I was much more starting from a mistake that translated texts were not considered yet.

I understand spoken and written English well, if it is almost proper English. But can not produce equivalent English.

I would try the translations. What clues to go further with translations, you can give me?
Last edited by westms on 27. Jul 2016, 20:34, edited 1 time in total.
westms

Post by westms »

Hi,

is CUPS already operational? I tried to add a printer (http://localhost:631/admin), but failed.

Message in web browser window:

Add Printer Error

Unable to add printer:

Forbidden
Messages in: /var/log/cups/access_log:

localhost - - [27/Jul/2016:01:03:33 +0200] "POST /admin/ HTTP/1.1" 200 60 - -
localhost - - [27/Jul/2016:01:03:33 +0200] "POST / HTTP/1.1" 401 91 CUPS-Get-Devices successful-ok
localhost - - [27/Jul/2016:01:03:33 +0200] "POST /admin/ HTTP/1.1" 401 60 - -
localhost - - [27/Jul/2016:01:03:33 +0200] "POST /admin/ HTTP/1.1" 200 60 - -
localhost - westms [27/Jul/2016:01:03:50 +0200] "POST /admin/ HTTP/1.1" 200 60 - -
localhost - - [27/Jul/2016:01:03:50 +0200] "POST / HTTP/1.1" 401 91 CUPS-Get-Devices successful-ok
localhost - westms [27/Jul/2016:01:03:50 +0200] "POST / HTTP/1.1" 403 91 CUPS-Get-Devices successful-ok
localhost - westms [27/Jul/2016:01:03:50 +0200] "POST /admin/ HTTP/1.1" 200 1893 - -
Messages in: /var/log/cups/error_log:

E [27/Jul/2016:01:03:50 +0200] [Client 106] Returning HTTP Forbidden for CUPS-Get-Devices (no URI) from localhost
E [27/Jul/2016:01:03:50 +0200] [CGI] CUPS-Get-Devices request failed with status 401: Forbidden
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

westms, thanks for those links, I'll definitely have a look at them.

However, I was reporting this as an issue with the beta rather than a personal issue. This used to work with wicd. I know Salix needs to follow Slackware and use Network Manager, but this and other glitches are a serious infringement of network performance. Perhaps it can be fixed, either upstream or by providing a different configuration (or even package :twisted: ) for Network Manager for Salix?