Salix Xfce 14.2beta1

ChuangTzu
Donor

Re: Salix Xfce 14.2beta1

Post by ChuangTzu »

gapan wrote:
ChuangTzu wrote:gapan,

Just did a fresh install and all is working well. One minor quirk, thunar is not managing the desktop (right click does nothing, and no background is set).
Are you sure? I can't see anything like that here. Maybe you installed over an old home directory and settings got mixed up somehow? Can you try with a new user?
You were correct. I did the following first to see if I could resolve without installing again:

rm ~/.xinitrc (same problem)
rm ~/.config/xfce4 (same problem)

remembered the xfce session config
rm ~/.cache/sessions (problem resolved)

PS: system seems snappier overall compared to Slackware 14.1 and Salix 14.1, any thoughts?
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I copied the image to a USB stick with dd, and I can't get it to boot.

I have been booting with elilo / efibootmgr, and normally, it happily recognises a bootable USB, which appears on the right of the screen with the boot option icons.

I could presumably explicitly add the USB as a boot option (though i've forgotten how ;)), but anyway, it should be recognised without that. Perhaps something to do with the dd method?

My current partitions (with the stick inserted):

Code: Select all

mimosa[~]$ lsblk
NAME   MAJ:MIN RM   SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda      8:0    0    28G  0 disk
├─sda1   8:1    0   265M  0 part /boot/efi
├─sda2   8:2    0   6.9G  0 part /
└─sda3   8:3    0  20.9G  0 part /home
sdb      8:16   1   7.2G  0 disk
├─sdb1   8:17   1   912M  0 part
└─sdb2   8:18   1   260K  0 part
Shouldn't there be an efi partition at the beginning?

EDIT

I was able to install by resetting my BIOS to legacy; however, the installer seems to have installed the legacy lilo. At that point in the installation, I selected the automatic option. Presumably, because I booted in legacy mode, the installer thought it was a non-UEFI system - although it did recognise my EFI partition, earlier on.

ReFind is still there, and will attempt to boot the new installation (which is on the same partition as the old one), but neither X nor keyboard works, I assume a kernel issue.

I'll try copying the new kernel to EFI/Salix ... EDIT yes, that seems to have done the trick. However, the road clearly isn't meant to have these bumps in it. Should I have selected advanced options on lilo install?
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

I gave up on dd'ing. Now I just copy the iso to the USB with a FAT partition.

1) Create a MSDOS partition table on the stick
2) Create a partitions and format as FAT 32 and mark as bootable
3) Mount iso on a mount point (i used /mnt/iso/)
4) copy iso to USB partition.
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

mimosa wrote:I
I was able to install by resetting my BIOS to legacy; however, the installer seems to have installed the legacy lilo. At that point in the installation, I selected the automatic option. Presumably, because I booted in legacy mode, the installer thought it was a non-UEFI system - although it did recognise my EFI partition, earlier on.
You can't install a uefi bootable os while booting the install media in leagacy mode. You will have problems as you found out. Even though it looked like it recognized EFI partition, eliloconfig never really installed the EFI boot directory in your ESP. This is confirmed by the fact that there was no EFI/Salix-Xfcee-14.2 partition added to your ESP.
ReFind is still there, and will attempt to boot the new installation (which is on the same partition as the old one), but neither X nor keyboard works, I assume a kernel issue.
I'll try copying the new kernel to EFI/Salix ... EDIT yes, that seems to have done the trick.
Since you installed to your old partition and eliloconfig never ran, Refind was trying to boot your old kernel in the EFI/Salix directory on the ESP with the new root file system and this resulted in no X and a non-working keyboard. Once you copied the new kernel over to the EFI/Salix you know had compatible kernel / root file systems and it boot fine.
However, the road clearly isn't meant to have these bumps in it. Should I have selected advanced options on lilo install?
Your problem was the result of a miss configured install media and then booting it in legacy ode. As I said, I no longer dd isos because I have had booting issues with all Slackware / Salix / Slackel / Slint install media that I dd'ed to USB stick.
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

If network manager does not autoconnect to wifi on start you might have to install gnome-keyring.
niyasc

Post by niyasc »

Some screenshots of Salix Xfce 14.2 beta 1 are here.

More screenshots are available at
http://www.distroscreens.com/2016/06/sa ... shots.html.

Regards.
sjox
Donor

Post by sjox »

I just uploaded a new xfburn package. You should get it as soon as mirrors sync. It should fix this.
WOW - incredible - it works in Salix with all mp3-files :o
Xfburn mp3-conversion either works in Manjaro nor it works in Ubuntu in this specific cases!
(the most files can be converted, but not all)
If network manager does not autoconnect to wifi on start you might have to install gnome-keyring.
Yes - it works too - now you are asked for your Wifi-WPA-Password first!
slapt-get -i json-glibc
Yes, now Engrampa operates well!

Are you interested on further details?

I am searching for the VLC player - why is it not in the repository?
Although Parole (and gstreamer) was improved and works very well!
And Mplayer is present too.

Curious thing:
When I comand "slapt-get --dist-upgrade" then he updates "slapt-get" himself!
This is maybe ok, when it is new - but when I start the command again and again he ever updates himself.
Or shouldn't I use "dist-upgrade"?

Thanks!
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

sjox wrote:I am searching for the VLC player - why is it not in the repository?
It's not yet. It will be before the final release.
sjox wrote:Curious thing:
When I comand "slapt-get --dist-upgrade" then he updates "slapt-get" himself!
This is maybe ok, when it is new - but when I start the command again and again he ever updates himself.
Or shouldn't I use "dist-upgrade"?
Yes, you shouldn't use --dist-upgrade at all. Upgrading slapt-get itself wouldn't be a problem, but it has other shortcomings.
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

I'm having issues with networkmanager where my network connection continuously cycles between being connected and disconnected, This is happening on both my Asus laptop using wifi and and my desktop using wired connection. This was also and issue with the alpha iso on both i586 and x86_64. I haven't tried the i586 beta yet. I do have an internet connection, although not very stable, during the cycling on both wired and wireless, which indicates that it is not password authorization issue .

On the desktop, the cycling eventually stops and the connection remains solid. I never had the patients to wait it out on the laptop to see it the connection would eventually stop cycling, but I did install wicd and it works without problems.
sjox
Donor

Post by sjox »

Hi!

It's about pulseaudio...
At boot I get an error from "alsactl restore"
The messages are "cannot write control" and "device or resource busy"
But I can't find a Problem - all sound works perfect!
Maybe it's only a blemish?
This message is only happening on my desktop PC - not on my laptop!

I can avoid the messages with the command "chmod a-x rc.pulseaudio".
At the next reboot the message is vanished and the sound works as good as earlier!
Then it is also possible to start "alsamixer -c 0"
(To start alsamixer without an argument doesn't work)
I know - starting of pulseaudio is not recommended - see "rc.M" and "rc.pulseaudio"

There is maybe a further Solution:
Is it useful to start the pulseaudio after alsa?
I have tested and can't find a difference!
Sound works as good as before and there isn't a message like "device or resource busy"

Important:
See https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Softwa ... ystemWide/

The last sentence:
But my distro is shipping an init script for PA!
Ignore that. It's stupid. They shouldn't be doing this.

What is your advice?
I own no bluetooth on my desktop-PC - should I disable pulseaudio ("chmod a-x rc.pulseaudio")?
(Pulseaudiomixer is still working flawless!)
Or should I start pulseaudio after alsa?
(I think pulseaudio should be on top of alsa)

thanks