Salix Xfce 14.2

gapan
Salix Wizard

Salix Xfce 14.2

Post by gapan »

Salix Xfce 14.2 is finally released! It has been a lot of time since our last stable release and the changelog is huge!

The first thing you will notice, is that when booting one of the iso images you don't get a boot prompt anymore. What you get is a boot menu and the menu offers options to install Salix in several different languages. So you can now install Salix, not only in English (both US and UK), but also in Dutch, German, Greek, Italian, Spanish (both for Spain and Costa-Rica), Swedish and Ukrainian! Many thanks go to our translators who have made an amazing job with these.

The menus that the iso images boot to are provided by syslinux on systems equiped with BIOS. On UEFI systems, the 64-bit iso now boots using elilo, in place of grub, and it provides similar menus to syslinux. The minimum architecture for the 32-bit iso has been bumped from i486 to i586 now and the boot menu in the 32-bit iso now includes options to boot either the i586 non-PAE or the i686 PAE kernels.

We also have two new GUI system tools, both developed in-house. The first one, GUEFI, is a graphical boot manager for UEFI systems and therefore is only available on 64-bit installations using UEFI. You can use it to create/delete/edit/rearrange UEFI boot entries and I don't think there is any other distribution out there with anything similar. Then, we have gtkreposetup, which is the GTK counterpart to the console reposetup tool, and which you can use to select your preferred repository mirror.

With respect to other software included in this release, Xfce has been upgraded to 4.12. The main browser has been changed back to Firefox. The Firefox package now also includes langpacks for the most popular languages too, so it will most probably also be presented in your native language without having to install anything extra. Also, network configuration is now handled by NetworkManager, instead of Wicd, which would also help people connect using their mobile 3G/4G connections. Pulseaudio is now controlling the audio output by default, which should help a lot with bluetooth speakers, HDMI audio etc. Other than that it's mostly the same as in previous releases, with LibreOffice, Claws-Mail, Gimp, Parole, Transmission, Viewnior, Zim etc. Everything has been upgraded to their latest release at this point. Of course, the usual collection of Salix System Tools is included, so you can still use Gslapt and Sourcery for managing packages and SlackBuilds and also the usual tools for managing Users, System Services, the System Language and Keyboard settings etc.

The Linux kernel used in this release is 4.4.19 (part of the 4.4.x series that is going to receive long-term support from the kernel developers) and it comes along with glibc version 2.23 and the gcc 5.3.0 set of compilers, while LLVM and Clang are also included. Also, following Slackware, udev, which is now part of the systemd project, has been replaced by the alternative eudev device management system.

Another huge improvement over previous releases, is that we now have a new repository available, that already includes thousands of packages! This new repository, named "extra", is enabled by default, and includes packages built from SlackBuild scripts available in the slackbuilds.org repository. Work on this repository is ongoing and it will be filled with even more packages soon. The repositories are now more rich in software than they have ever been before!

The artwork has been updated too ofcourse. There is a new beautiful but simple default background and the default widget theme is now Adwaita.

So, you can install this new release, either using the iso images found in our Sourceforge project page, or by using a torrent client with the following links:

Salix Xfce 14.2 (32-bit, i586/i686)
(size: 957MB, md5: 97ccf919bea44091d0d3f5d6b678202c)
- Sourceforge: https://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/ ... o/download
- Torrent: http://download.salixos.org/i486/14.2/i ... .2.torrent

Salix64 Xfce 14.2 (64-bit, x86_64)
(size: 1014MB, md5: e1c13f04d4111fbe8922119adfb77e47)
- Sourceforge: https://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/ ... o/download
- Torrent: http://download.salixos.org/x86_64/14.2 ... .2.torrent

Have fun!

KNOWN PROBLEMS
- As reported here, there is a problem with creating a user at the end of installation, when using a Spanish locale. There is a workaround posted as a reply in the same thread.
ChuangTzu
Donor

Re: Salix Xfce 14.2

Post by ChuangTzu »

Excellent job! Already have a thread going on LQ. ;)
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

Thank you gapan
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
a4z

Post by a4z »

congratulation
thanks for the work!
Papasot
Donor

Post by Papasot »

Great job, as usual. I will need to tweak a few things to my liking, most notably getting rid of "NetworkManager" completely, and "PulseAudio", at least partially (as I already mentioned during the beta times). But such tweaks are to be expected in new releases. Remarks concerning that will go on the corresponding threads.

Cheers for the "extra" repo (great addon, was really needed and has the potential to outrun any other Slacky-distro). Time to roll sleeves up, and add even more stuff there - that includes myself as well.
Other than that, cheers for eudev, kernel 4.4.19, xfce 4.12, and of course gcc 5.3 (I really needed that one, and having a secong gcc series of compilers installed isn't hard but it's not my thing, really).

Overall, Salix just gets even better.
A pleasant detail in this forum: several people pick a picture of their pet as their avatar. Who am I to do otherwise? ;-)
lucky9

Post by lucky9 »

Thanks gapan and the Salix crew, all your hard work is greatly appreciated!
HP DC7800 SFF | 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | Salix64-Xfce-14.1
PackRat

Post by PackRat »

Excellent work.

Beautiful default Xfce setup.
It does not require many words to speak the truth.
Sybelius

Post by Sybelius »

My best wishes and big "thank you" to the whole Salix Team, your commitment and your kindness are not common.
Just reading the news on Distrowatch and moved to the Forum to read more.
I am not an huge fan of XFCE, I have it on my machines with 2 GB DDR 2 RAM but for the new machine of mine with 4 GB DDR 3 RAM wishing to install KDE (assuming is'nt planned Salix release with Cinnamon DE).
Please, can tell me when Salix 14.2 KDE edition will be avalaible?

Best Regards
winix

Post by winix »

I no longer member SalixOS! You sell to politicians. Removed the Russian language from the installer ... Live with it, freaks! My Donbass bomb, because we want to speak Russian! You - the filth! More, I am not a user SalihOS !!!
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

winix wrote:I no longer member SalixOS! You sell to politicians. Removed the Russian language from the installer ... Live with it, freaks! My Donbass bomb, because we want to speak Russian! You - the filth! More, I am not a user SalihOS !!!
Did someone stop taking their medication? :D