Salix Live Xfce 14.2 beta1

djemos
Salix Warrior

Salix Live Xfce 14.2 beta1

Post by djemos »

Salix Live Xfce 14.2 beta1 is ready.

This release is available in both 32-bit and 64-bit architectures, while the 64-bit iso supports booting on UEFI systems.

The software included in this release mirrors that present in a standard Salix Xfce 14.2 release as closely as possible. (grub and isomaster are included, which are not exist in the standard Salix Xfce 14.2 release ). Of course, the Salix Live Installer (SLI) is included, so you can install Salix from within a running live system on your hard drive as well as on a USB stick.

The Salix Live Installer includes the following:
- supports many filesystems (ext2, ext3, ext4, btrfs, xfs, jfs, reiserfs).
- You can choose between grub and (e)Lilo boot loaders. Grub is default.
- You can use a different partition for /home
- You can find and add Windows partitions in grub.cfg. Note that if you use eLilo as your bootloader, you will not be able to boot Windows partitions.

For users installing in UEFI/EFI GPT partitions, if a GPT partition table does not exist, will have to be created using GParted running from the Live System. The following partitions should be created:
- the first partition has to be at least 300MB and use the FAT32 filesystem
- the second partition has to be a Linux partition of any type. NOTE: if you choose grub then the partition cannot be in xfs filesystem because system will not boot after installation, as grub does not support xfs properly. If you want to use xfs as your filesystem you must also use the eLilo boot loader.
- you can optionally add a third partition for /home
- and of course a swap partition
- Important! Before proceeding with the installation you must flag the first FAT32 partition as bootable. You can also do this using GParted.

If you want to transfer the live iso to a USB stick, make sure you read the instructions in this README.

For live environment, standard user is “one” with password: "one"
User “one” is a super user. This is what you need to use applications need super user privileges.

Changes are:
Many improvements have been done under the scene to make live iso better which are not obvious to the end user which i will not mention all here.
When booting with 64bit iso efi partition is detected and if it is exist it is mounted to /boot/efi. So user can use the guefi graphical tool.
User can mount any partition with file manager.

Both isos has been tested for a week including installation with grub in 32 and 64 bit.

You can also use the dd command to write the iso to a USB stick, but some features like persistence, will not be available.

You can download this release using the following links.

Salix Live Xfce 14.2 beta1 (32-bit, i686)
(size: 1019 MB, md5: 67ef789f7c3dcbb5115c8c73b81947a2)
Sourceforge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/f ... o/download

Salix64 Live Xfce 14.2 beta1 (64-bit, x86_64)
(size: 1016 MB, md5: 6fc597566cf63fd80dd86320eddc90ac)
Sourceforge: http://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/f ... o/download

NOTE: if you are booting with persistence, the very first time the live system will boot will take a while. This is because the persistence file is created at that point and that is somehow a lengthy process. However, the system will boot much faster at every consecutive boot.

I suggest users to not boot with persistent for the first time.
It is better to use the script to create a persistent file. And in next boot to use persistent.

Thanks for testing. Have fun.
Dimitris Tzemos

Salix 14.2 beta 1 "Xfce Live" Look At
babam

Re: Salix Live Xfce 14.2 beta1

Post by babam »

This is what I want, Salix Live with capabilities that can be installed to the local Hard drive.
Do have the option to install Grub to MBR (for example, /dev/sda) or install to PBR (for example, /dev/sda3).
Because I want to Dual-boot with Windows and using the Windows Boot Manager as Bootmanager / Bootloader (using EasyBCD or BCDEdit).
Thanks.
Sorry, my English is bad.
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

I did flasj both the 64 and 32 bit live iso's to USB sticks and was able to boot both without problems on my Asus Laptop. The 64 bit booted via UEFI and the 32 bit iso in CMS mode. I did have to choose the non-pae mod for the 32 bit iso to get it to boot: i don't recall having to do that in the past. Could not do much else as I have a NetworkManager incapability with my home network. I actually run wicd on my other 14.2 installed.
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

In vmware machine here, the 32bit iso boot with pae mod. I cannot see what has changed in 4.4.19 kernel. This is really strange.
The 64bit iso also can boot in cms mod. In this case the syslinux menu is appeared with boot options.
I also use wicd in my laptop but in vmware i have internet booting with both 32 and 64 bit isos with networkmanager. And i can also browse host samba shares from salix live.

Edit: Can you try to boot for the second time with pae mod in 32 bit? Try twice.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I am getting an error - from memory - something like "Not enough memory available to boot this image".

I vaguely remember this coming up in the past, and that it could be solved by passing some boot option. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm trying to boot the 64-bit version, on a Chromebook which currently runs Salix 14.1 quite happily.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

You can found this message trying to boot from a recent computer, if is your case you should try to append the boot parameter mem=1952M or other values to the boot parameters
This parameters tells the kernel how much memory your computer has, sometimes the BIOS don’t give the correct information and so you need to assign it.
Note that this option doesn’t always works magically and you need to play with different values, like 1024M (even if you have 4G), 512M, 2G, etc…
try this
append "mem=4G" or append "mem=1G" etc
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Thanks djemos, I remember now; in fact I failed to RTFM though (used dd instead of the script first time to install on USB).

I have had very little chance so far to test, but I did notice thunar crashed when trying to mount an external drive. Perhaps this is the same problem you posted about for the 14.2 release, that is fixed by adding the user to the polkit group and a step or two more, as you described in that post?
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

In live iso all are setup to mount external drives. There is no need to do anything more. It is strange that thunar crashed. I think it has to do with drive itself or need more memory on Chromebook. No such a problem here on testing. Live iso is stable.
Atip

Post by Atip »

32bit

Successfully put in on a USB stick.

Booting would stall when reaching locale=enUS.* or something like that. Removed that option in Tab and booting went smooth.

Reporting this from within Salix-live-Xfce.14.2beta1
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

locale=en_US.utf8 This is the setting in the menu.
The first boot option is boot with swap. If there is a swap in your system maybe contain garbage.
Try to boot for second time or even better use the choice noswap of second menu.
This has nothing to do with locale= parameter.
You just tried to boot for the second time and booted with success. You can test it booting with any locale.