Salix Live Xfce 14.2 beta2

djemos
Salix Warrior

Re: Salix Live Xfce 14.2 beta2

Post by djemos »

ikke wrote:
djemos wrote:Salix Live Xfce 14.2 beta2 is ready.
Have fun.
Thank you. Am downloading ...

Further ...

Have tried to make a frugal install as I do since many years. But failed this time ...

Guess your new updated / changed Live scripts are the reason.
Get following error message :

Code: Select all

Live system error - live media not detected - exiting * * * 
Just asking : is there a bootcode to tell the system where it can find the '/boot/modules' directory?

Thank you.

Check the md5sum of iso. And download it again. I did an rsync. So maybe you downloaded with errors.
If mdsum is OK then try to boot adding in the end of boot line in the second screen after language selection wait=15 or wait=20 to wait for 20 seconds to detect the usb device. Default is to wait 3 seconds.
modules are in USB/boot/modules where USB is the detected usb device mounted in /slroot/live/media

Do this. Plug in your usb in the usb slot on your laptop or pc. If there is no other usb device connected it will be /dev/sdb
mount your iso image to /tmp/iso

mkdir -p /tmp/iso
sudo mount -o loop  /path_to_iso_image/salixlive-xfce-14.2-beta2.iso /tmp/iso 
cd /tmp/iso/boot
sudo sh install_on_usb.sh --usb /path_to_iso_image/salixlive-xfce-14.2-beta2.iso /dev/sdb 
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

mimosa wrote:I'm afraid I've only just seen this. I hope to give it a try soon. Am I right in thinking the persistent directory (as opposed to persistent file) is a new feature? Perhaps this will improve performance of persistence for those who have had trouble with it on certain USB sticks.

I can imagine the persistent home might be useful - suppose you wanted to always boot the original live system, with no updates, as a guaranteed stable setup, but still retain personal files?
persistent directory is a directory to hold all changes happen to the system (e.g. upgrade packages, except the kernel. Never upgrade the kernel.) . Can use all the size of the usb.

From tests i have done:
1. The only solution for VFAT formatted usb is the persistent 3998MB file formatted to ext3 filesystem. The time needed is not too much. 10, 15 minutes. It is my favorite option using 32bit iso to work in any pc.

2. If USB is formatted to EXT3 filesystem then to make a persistent file more than 500MB can take a very very long time. I tried 1GB and tired to wait.
So the second solution if you don't want to use your usb as a common usb, plug it in radio car or tv, is to use persistent directory.
Just boot with persistent from menus and a persistent folder will be created. And use it as an ordinary real installation system.

3. if you want to boot the original live system with no updates just boot with the first option, no persistent file or dir. It is simple. changes will not load.
Home directory keep the changes happen only to /home/one folder. So cannot boot with the original live system. I did not find it useful.

Persistent directory do the same as persistent file. But might grow up and fill all your usb. So persistent file can "keep" a size space while the rest of usb remain free for other use.

Persistent directory is a new feature and it is working well and it is the simple, easy solution for ext3 formatted usb's.
I can see that funionfs had a bit better performance in speed using persistent than overlay. But since is not developed for the last 4 years have problems with 4.4.19 kernels and up.
In general both funionfs and overlayfs have pros and cons.
Atip

Post by Atip »

32bit

Booting does not hang any longer on Setting-up locale. :)

simple-scan will detect my Canon printer only when started as sudo. :(
Started as user one it insists on using my USB webcam which then cannot be changed.
ikke

Post by ikke »

djemos wrote: Check the md5sum of iso. And download it again. I did an rsync. So maybe you downloaded with errors.
Have checked the md5sum. Have downloaded also the 686 version. Error message remains the same :

Live system error - live media not detected - exiting ***
djemos wrote:If mdsum is OK then try to boot adding in the end of boot line in the second screen after language selection wait=15 or wait=20 to wait for 20 seconds to detect the usb device. Default is to wait 3 seconds.
Tried it! same result : waiting doesn't solve the problem.

Thank you for repeating how to make a usb-stick with Salix Live Xfce 14.2 beta2 on it. I'll try it out.
djemos wrote:Do this. Plug in your usb in the usb slot on your laptop or pc. If there is no other usb device connected it will be /dev/sdb
mount your iso image to /tmp/iso

mkdir -p /tmp/iso
sudo mount -o loop  /path_to_iso_image/salixlive-xfce-14.2-beta2.iso /tmp/iso 
cd /tmp/iso/boot
sudo sh install_on_usb.sh --usb /path_to_iso_image/salixlive-xfce-14.2-beta2.iso /dev/sdb 
Allow me to repeat my question : is there a bootcode to tell the system where it can find the '/boot/modules' directory?

Thank you.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

Atip wrote:32bit

Booting does not hang any longer on Setting-up locale. :)
It was because of funionfs. Overlay native kernel module is used now.
Started as user one it insists on using my USB webcam which then cannot be changed.
1. Add user one to lp group. Log out and log in again. Then run simple-scan as user.

2. If this does not work then edit /lib/udev/rules.d/80-libsane.rules
sudo geany /lib/udev/rules.d/80-libsane.rules
find your scanner printer and change group="lp" with group="scanner"
Log out and log in again
run again simple-scan as user
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

ikke wrote:Allow me to repeat my question : is there a bootcode to tell the system where it can find the '/boot/modules' directory?
No.
Atip

Post by Atip »

djemos wrote:
Atip wrote:32bit
1. Add user one to lp group. Log out and log in again. Then run simple-scan as user.
Great works now! :D
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

For users:
1. ext3 live usb with persistent directory:
While creating live usb using install_on_usb.sh, if you choose to format your usb to ext3 filesystem then do not create a persistent fie.
And when boot with your live usb choose "salix with persistent". in the first boot will create a persistent folder "persistent".

2. vfat live usb with persistent file
If you want to use your usb as a common usb in windows or in your radio-cd car or in tv then choose vfat and create a persistent file choosing 3998MB from nenu.

I am writing this message from salixlive-xfce-14.2-beta2 installed to a vfat formatted 16GB usb with 3998MB persistent file. Where i have installed audio codecs, vlc, smplayer,MPlayer.
It is working fine as a real installed system.
babam

Post by babam »

Is there a plan to support NTFS, it will allow to have a persistence file >4GB.

Is there a plan to support module like xzm on Porteus, sxz on AlienBOB liveslak, or sqfm on Parted Magic.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

babam wrote:Is there a plan to support NTFS, it will allow to have a persistence file >4GB.

Is there a plan to support module like xzm on Porteus, sxz on AlienBOB liveslak, or sqfm on Parted Magic.
Try to install in salix installed to disk, packages from porteus repos or other distro. Soon you will break your system.
Same with salix live. salix live modules are created from salix repos with their depedencies also.

But you can change the module extension from xzm or sxz to .slm then can put the modules to /boot/modules or /boot/optional directory of live usb and modules can be loaded. But in this situation you will have problems with dependencies, different programs versions etc. Try and see.
A UEFI based system, it will only accept the FAT32 format. So, 32 or 64 bit vfat live usb have only one vfat partition to be able to boot to 64 bit uefi/efi and in legacy bios mode machines. ntfs cannot be used.