Salix Live Xfce 14.2 rc1

djemos
Salix Warrior

Re: Salix Live Xfce 14.2 rc1

Post by djemos »

livelabel always have to be "LIVE" because is used from init to find the usb device to boot. Why to change it?
Install_on_usb.sh script use this label to create the live usb. Passing another parameter to script is not worth it. Sli has to be changed also, slackware-live-scripts have to be changed also. Script has to be as simple as possible. Not using many parameters. Adding more options soon the code will become un-maintained. I can tell you this from experience.
ikke

Post by ikke »

Wish to repeat : Salix Live Xfce 14.2 rc1 is a fine iso. I appreciate your efforts. Thank you.
djemos wrote:I cannot understand what you are trying to do. Using the install_on_usb.sh script can do a frugal installation.
Agree with you that 'install_on_usb.sh' is a nice script. But it creates two partitions : one - very small - vfat to boot and a bigger (ext3 formatted) with all the important files and directories. I prefer to have one and only one partittion (which is ext4 formatted)

Agree also that the modules-system is excellent because it allows home made modules : I like that!
Could solve the problem. What I did was to rename the usb-stick / partition containing all the SalixLive files "LIVE" which contains also my grub legacy files. Inspiration came from reading your url on 'init' and also from babam in his email.

Again : Salix Live Xfce 14.2 is very nice! Thank you very much for creating this live iso.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

But it creates two partitions : one - very small - vfat to boot and a bigger (ext3 formatted) with all the important files and directories. I prefer to have one and only one partittion (which is ext4 formatted)
Then use the 32bit iso to create the usb. It will create one ext3 partition. Ext3 is used because it is better for usb life.
ikke

Post by ikke »

djemos wrote:
But it creates two partitions : one - very small - vfat to boot and a bigger (ext3 formatted) with all the important files and directories. I prefer to have one and only one partittion (which is ext4 formatted)
Then use the 32bit iso to create the usb. It will create one ext3 partition. Ext3 is used because it is better for usb life.
You are right. But I am using ext4 with journaling turned off.

Thank you.
SteveSi

Post by SteveSi »

To add salix+persistence to an Easy2Boot multiboot USB drive, see my blog post http://rmprepusb.blogspot.co.uk/2016/11 ... o-e2b.html.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

ikke wrote:But I am using ext4 with journaling turned off.
Disabling journal increase speed but without a journal your filesystem is more susceptible to corruption and data loss if it is not cleanly unmounted (if the power goes out, for example)."
But it is interesting for speed improvements. Need to be tested for future releases or let user to choose to disable journal.

If you run "sudo file -sL /dev/sdb1" or "sudo file -sL /run/media/$USER/LIVE/persistent" you will see that you have an ext2 filesystem.

In any case user can always disable journal in persistent file using

Code: Select all

sudo tune2fs -O ^has_journal  /run/media/$USER/LIVE/persistent
or on an unmounted usb partition

sudo tune2fs -O ^has_journal /dev/sdbX
Atip

Post by Atip »

32bit

As before engrampa and mc cannot open iso files and parole has this "GStreamer backend error" and cannot not handle CDDA URI.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

Atip wrote:32bit

As before engrampa and mc cannot open iso files and parole has this "GStreamer backend error" and cannot not handle CDDA URI.
Live iso include same packages with standard isos. This will not be changed.
You know how to solve this. I write again here the solution. Use persistent and do these:

for parole

In the Audio CDs section, change the Command to:

parole --device=% cdda://
and for mc
There are 2 solutions which solve the problem.
1. Use the p7zip 9.20.1 version from here
or
2. Install the p7zip salix 15.09 version from repos and then install this engrampa 1.14.1 patched package from here which ignores the p7zip listing error "Unexpected end of archive"