SalixLive Xfce 14.2

gapan
Salix Wizard

SalixLive Xfce 14.2

Post by gapan »

After a long round of testing, Salix Live Xfce 14.2 is released! This is the first Live release for the 14.2 series and is available in both 32-bit and 64-bit architectures.

The live environment utilises our own Salix Live Scripts, which has been forked and improved from the original Slackware Live Scripts.

In terms of included software, this Live release mirrors the standard Salix Xfce 14.2 release. All software that is included there, like the Xfce 4.12 desktop, Mozilla Firefox, the Libreoffice suite, the collection of Salix System Tools etc, are also included in this release. Some additional software, specific to the Live Edition is also included. That of course includes the Salix Live Installer, which has been updated for this release and allows the user to install SalixLive to the system's hard drive.

Thanks to our translators, the live system can now be started in Czech, Danish, German, Greek, Spanish, French, Italian, Japanese, Hungarian, Dutch, Polish, Portuguese, Brazilian Portuguese, Russian and of course English (both US and UK variants).

The live system automatically logs into the Xfce Desktop with user "one". If you need a password to launch applications with sudo powers, that is also "one". The root user is disabled as with the standard release.

If you would like to transfer the live iso to a USB stick, make sure you read the instructions in this README.

You can also use the dd command to write the iso to a USB stick, but some features like persistence, will not be available.

You can download this release using the following links:

Salix Live Xfce 14.2 (32-bit, i686)
(size: 1016 MB, md5: 3e3754bb31d288bb96be627272eae61a)
Sourceforge: https://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/ ... o/download
torrent: http://download.salixos.org/i486/14.2/i ... .2.torrent

Salix64 Live Xfce 14.2 (64-bit, x86_64)
(size: 1012 MB, md5: 856720f634cfab4820057b115ca3984f)
Sourceforge: https://sourceforge.net/projects/salix/ ... o/download
torrent: http://download.salixos.org/x86_64/14.2 ... .2.torrent

Many thanks to everyone who has helped with this release, to our testers and translators and of course a great thanks to djemos for doing all the hard work behind this release!

Have fun!
ikke

Re: SalixLive Xfce 14.2

Post by ikke »

Thank you. And I agree fully with a great thanks to djemos for doing all the hard work behind this "great" release!

Have one question.
gapan wrote:RC3 is now released as final
Found there is a small difference in 'initrd.gz'. What's exactly the difference. Do I need to replace the old 'initrd.gz'

Thank you.
babam

Post by babam »

Djemos, thank you very much for your hard work.
Sorry, my English is bad.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

ikke wrote:Found there is a small difference in 'initrd.gz'. What's exactly the difference. Do I need to replace the old 'initrd.gz'
What is the difference?
DidierSpaier

Post by DidierSpaier »

Congrats! I really like it. Well done.

I ran it then installed it in a VirtualBox VM. I couldn't get X to start in UEFI mode, but I think that I'd need the VB extensions to get a proper video driver, no worries.

A very small suggestion: maybe you could start the cups service by default.

Cheers,

Didier
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

Thank you Didier.
I use vmware which is working fine with UEFI. I use it also to develop and create live iso's 64 and 32 bit.
About cups. Live iso is the same as standard iso. If you install it then cups is running at boot by default.
In next live iso's, i will set cups service to start by default on live environment. For now user can easily start cups service from live environment and also using persistent file or directory can set up cups service to start by default on every boot.
nycace36

Post by nycace36 »

gapan wrote:
That of course includes the Salix Live Installer, which has been updated for this release and allows the user to install SalixLive to the system's hard drive.
When gapan writes "install SalixLive to the system's hard drive", does that hard-drive installation apply solely for the Live version of Salix as opposed to the current top Installation version of Xfce 14.2 listed at https://www.salixos.org/download.html :?: :?:

gapan wrote:
If you would like to transfer the live iso to a USB stick, make sure you read the instructions in this README.

You can also use the dd command to write the iso to a USB stick, but some features like persistence, will not be available.
When gapan writes "can also use the dd command to write the iso to a USB stick, but some features like persistence, will not be available", can someone use such a USB stick dd-written with SalixLive to subsequently and natively install the permanent version of Salix Xfce 14.2 listed at https://www.salixos.org/download.html onto a hard-drive :?: :?:

Am confused on this :?
DidierSpaier

Post by DidierSpaier »

@nycace36: Welcome to this forum.

Short answers:
1) Of course all Salix ISOs include an installer. The installer of Salix Live differs in that it is started from an already running system but the end result is the same.
2) Let me quote the announcement:
gapan wrote:In terms of included software, this Live release mirrors the standard Salix Xfce 14.2 release. All software that is included there, like the Xfce 4.12 desktop, Mozilla Firefox, the Libreoffice suite, the collection of Salix System Tools etc, are also included in this release.
So yes you get all software shipped in the "regular" ISO.

So... If not already done, just give it a try. ;)
Zingy

Post by Zingy »

DidierSpaeier wrote:Congrats! I really like it. Well done.

I ran it then installed it in a VirtualBox VM. I couldn't get Crazy Bulk to start in UEFI mode, but I think that I'd need the VB extensions to get a proper video driver, no worries.

A very small suggestion: maybe you could start the cups service by default.

Cheers,

Didier
It's been a while since I've used Salix but I'm back now and just got started with 14.2 and you've done a GREAT job so thanks for all the hard work. I got it all installed pretty quickly too.
Last edited by Zingy on 28. Sep 2017, 08:51, edited 2 times in total.
jsalpha2

Post by jsalpha2 »

DistroWatch had salixlive64-xfce-14.2.1.iso today. What is the point 1? Tried in virtualbox and seemed good to go.