Salix 13.1alpha1

lipk

Re: Salix 13.1alpha1

Post by lipk »

thenktor wrote:
salix2501 wrote:Are you planning to include Google Chrome browser as default browser or 2nd option???
Chromium is not mature enough for a standard browser, even if it is very fast. So it's not an option for 13.1.
It's a matter of viewpoint. For example, Chrome has the best HTML5 support now.
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

lipk wrote:
thenktor wrote:Chromium is not mature enough for a standard browser, even if it is very fast. So it's not an option for 13.1.
'Mature' & 'bleeding edge' are not exactly synonymous even if both have their legitimate place. It's merely a matter of weighing both advantages & drawbacks at a certain point in time & reconsidering things regularly. ;)
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
Arael

Post by Arael »

lipk wrote:
thenktor wrote:
salix2501 wrote:Are you planning to include Google Chrome browser as default browser or 2nd option???
Chromium is not mature enough for a standard browser, even if it is very fast. So it's not an option for 13.1.
As far as I'm concern Chrome/Chromium/Iron is a good browser and having it in the repository would be fine but I don't think it should be the main browser. It doesn't integrate well in X and has problems with the clipboard. Firefox is slower, that's true, but at least it integrates well and hasn't problems that Chromium has. HTML5 will be supported even by Firefox in the branch 4 and it is probably going to be released this year.

Anyway, the last word to the developers. We can only make suggestions.

Just my two cents. ;)

Are you guys planing to substitute some other application besides the ones listed in the changelog? Just curiosity.
Last edited by Arael on 23. Apr 2010, 07:24, edited 1 time in total.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

Arael wrote:It doesn't integrate well in X and has problems with the clipboard. Firefox is slower, that's true, but at least it integrates well and hasn't problems that Chromium has
Furthermore it doesn't respect the anti aliasing settings of X. Enough that it disqualifies itself for a standard browser ;)
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
geoffs

Post by geoffs »

steepleone wrote:Just to avoid tears and blood and a lot more on irc :
I have a netbook (ecafe 900) and wicd wireless interface does not work with my Network controller which is RaLink RT2860 ! The wire wicd works allright though !
steepleone
Hi steepleone,
I also have a netbook that uses the RT2860(eee pc 1001HA). After a bit of googling I found that there seem to be some conflicts between various rt drivers. The driver needed is rt2860sta, for this to work two other drivers rt2800pci and rt2x00usb need to be blacklisted in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf. Try this it works for me. With this small mod everything works out of the box for me.

Geoff.
lipk

Post by lipk »

Akuna wrote:
'Mature' & 'bleeding edge' are not exactly synonymous even if both have their legitimate place. It's merely a matter of weighing both advantages & drawbacks at a certain point in time & reconsidering things regularly. ;)
The BLEEDING-EDGE browser Chrome is HTML5 compatible, so it has a MATURE HTML5 support ;)
Today's bleeding-edge is tomorrow's mature.

OK, I understand that HTML5 compatibility matters little when choosing a default browser, I'm just an average Opera user, who wanted to start a flame war to make Chrome and Firefox kill each other ;)
steepleone

Post by steepleone »

Hi steepleone,
I also have a netbook that uses the RT2860(eee pc 1001HA). After a bit of googling I found that there seem to be some conflicts between various rt drivers. The driver needed is rt2860sta, for this to work two other drivers rt2800pci and rt2x00usb need to be blacklisted in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf. Try this it works for me. With this small mod everything works out of the box for me.

Geoff.[/quote]

Hi Geoff,
Thanks a lot for your help :D .I will try tonight !

steepleone
vredfreak

Post by vredfreak »

Running 13.1alpha1 now, with basically a full kde and nvidia proprietary drivers. I did run into a few snags, though.

After install, I used the "Mark all upgrades" function of gslapt to grab any updates since release. Then I decided to try to install the nvidia proprietary driver using their installer, so I ran "slapt-get -i kernel-source'. What I ended up with was running on kernel 2.6.33.1, with sources for 2.6.33.2. The kernel* packages are locked in slapt-getrc so gslapt wouldn't upgrade them. Shouldn't both slapt-get and gslapt honor locked packages in slapt-getrc?

Secondly, every time I tried to drop into a console with init 3, the framebuffer was corrupted, and I couldn't see anything. There were artifacts all over the screen. It was fine on initial boot into init 3, but any time I dropped from init 4 to init 3, the corruption happened. This was while still using the nouveau driver.

Oh yeah, and anyone trying to install the nvidia proprietary drivers, they will not install until you blacklist the nouveau driver.

That's all I've got for now, but I'll report back if anything else turns up.

vredfreak
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

vredfreak wrote:I ran "slapt-get -i kernel-source'. What I ended up with was running on kernel 2.6.33.1, with sources for 2.6.33.2. The kernel* packages are locked in slapt-getrc so gslapt wouldn't upgrade them. Shouldn't both slapt-get and gslapt honor locked packages in slapt-getrc?
Actually if you use slapt-get is actually 'forces' the install of packages even if they are blocked in /etc/slapt-get/slapt-getrc whereas gslapt is always bound by it. The logic behind it is probably that it is very easy to click inadvertently on something while when you take the time to type everything, you probably mean it. ;)
Thinking further about this, it actually makes things easier than having to edit /etc/slapt-get/slapt-getrc whenever you want to exceptionally force an install.

So in your case a simple:
slapt-get kernel-modules-smp kernel-huge-smp kernel-huge-smp kernel-firmware
would fix things (but you already probably did that)
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
vredfreak

Post by vredfreak »

Akuna wrote: Actually if you use slapt-get is actually 'forces' the install of packages even if they are blocked in /etc/slapt-get/slapt-getrc whereas gslapt is always bound by it. The logic behind it is probably that it is very easy to click inadvertently on something while when you take the time to type everything, you probably mean it. ;)
Thinking further about this, it actually makes things easier than having to edit /etc/slapt-get/slapt-getrc whenever you want to exceptionally force an install.

So in your case a simple:
slapt-get kernel-modules-smp kernel-huge-smp kernel-huge-smp kernel-firmware
would fix things (but you already probably did that)
I figured that is was it was, but the logic seemed a little counter intuitive to me. I've always stuck with slackpkg and haven't dealt with slapt-get too much.

And, yep, I manually upgraded the necessary packages.

Thanks